Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #1

Leaking black tank and very foul odor

So we've been dealing with an odor issue since we bought our new Wildcat 29RKP. It seems to come and go, and is much more noticeable when the A/C is not running and/or when the vent fan in the bathroom is on. Oddly enough, the odor is always worse outside of the bathroom than in it, and it's also much more noticeable in the living room and in the front under-cap storage hold. Also, it seems to get worse as we go from an empty black tank to a fuller one.

Today I decided to go hunting for the cause. I took out all of the access panels in the storage area so I could get to the black tank, everything within the underbelly was nice and dry. Then I checked the black tank vent by running a hose from the opening on the roof down into the tank. No obvious obstructions. Lastly I checked the black tank flush hose, as it's the only other connection to the black tank. The hose runs from the connection in the convenience center to up in a wall, where it goes into a valve, and then another hose goes from that valve down through the same hole that the fresh water fill hose goes through. Enclosed underbelly, so I couldn't see past that.

Curious about the valve inline on the black tank flush hose, I fished it out of the wall, and to my surprise, WOW!!! What a stench coming from it! Strangely though, it seemed to come and go.

Since that didn't really explain why the odor was so strong at the front outside of the trailer, I decided to remove the bolts holding the corrugated plastic underbelly cover in place and take a peek inside. Strong odor present there to, and surprise! Water dripping from somewhere on the back side of the black tank.

I drained the tank and the dripping stopped, so that tells me the black tank is indeed leaking, but I still don't know what to make of the black tank flush hose valve/vent/whatever it is. And of course, to make matters worse, my tank gauges aren't reading properly. Other than that, we just live our new Wildcat! [emoji19]
btf66509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #2

That valve is a check valve or anti-siphon valve. It only allows water to flow one direction, into the black tank. Maybe the connections to this valve are not tight?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
That valve is a check valve or anti-siphon valve. It only allows water to flow one direction, into the black tank. Maybe the connections to this valve are not tight?

There's no water coming out of the valve.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:52 PM   #4

Could be the connection to the tank is leaking.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Could be the connection to the tank is leaking.

Unfortunately I can't get to that area without taking the underbelly cover off, which I don't really want to do since it's under warranty.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by btf66509 View Post
There's no water coming out of the valve.
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean it is not leaking? Probab tight if not leaking..

As the next poster said, maybe the hose connection to the tank is loose. As you pulled on it maybe it made it worse depending on how it is connected..

Take it to the dealer if under warranty...

Old 06-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean it is not leaking? Probab tight if not leaking..

As the next poster said, maybe the hose connection to the tank is loose. As you pulled on it maybe it made it worse depending on how it is connected..

Take it to the dealer if under warranty...

Sorry, yes I meant there's no water leaking from the check valve.

I will take it in since I can't easily get to the problem area. Just wanted to relay my experience for others.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #8

It most likely is leaking air. They are really garbage anyway you can just replace it with a better quaility one.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Sorry, yes I meant there's no water leaking from the check valve.

I will take it in since I can't easily get to the problem area. Just wanted to relay my experience for others.
I do appreciate your post as I am having a similar issue. It comes and goes and is most prevelant when a vent fan is running. Even the vent fan over the stove. I've tried to get my dealer to pull the underbelly to look but no luck as every time I take it in, you guessed no smell. Last time I took it in there was a smell. They say it is my lack of chemical use, I say baloney. It is there now and I go to pick it up tomorrow so first thing is to throw on the vent fans. If no smell I guess I will have to do what you did... go hunting. Thx and good luck on getting yours fixed.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #10

Quote:
I do appreciate your post as I am having a similar issue. It comes and goes and is most prevelant when a vent fan is running. Even the vent fan over the stove. I've tried to get my dealer to pull the underbelly to look but no luck as every time I take it in, you guessed no smell. Last time I took it in there was a smell. They say it is my lack of chemical use, I say baloney. It is there now and I go to pick it up tomorrow so first thing is to throw on the vent fans. If no smell I guess I will have to do what you did... go hunting. Thx and good luck on getting yours fixed.

Try taking it in with a mostly full black tank! [emoji16]
Old 06-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Try taking it in with a mostly full black tank! [emoji16]
It is and they said they added chemicals and fixed the problem... I don't believe it Find out tomorrow...

Old 06-25-2017, 06:49 PM   #12

Quote:
It is and they said they added chemicals and fixed the problem... I don't believe it Find out tomorrow...

Good luck dalford!

Tags
black, black tank, leak, tank