Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
Always Learning

Thanks everyone for the information. The toilet paper trick lead me to find that the leak was higher than I first thought and WAS coming from a loose clamp as Jim surmised.

Access to the loose clamp was a stretch - so getting the old crimp clamp off was possibly the hardest part of all of it. I got the new clamp on and tightened down to where it doesn't leak anymore. I wasn't sure how tight to go with it initially, so I tightened it "good" and then retested it every 10-15 minutes for a while until my toilet paper stayed dry. (I was a little paranoid, what can I say? )

Now added to my spare parts collection, I have 3 sizes of pipe clamps and a 12" section of tubing.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #22

Personnaly, if it's a tough spot to get into, difficult access, I'd just cut that 'T' out and replace it with SharkBite fittings. So fast and easy it's astounding. I've never had one leak.

Nev
NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Sharkbites of the correct size work on everything.

And are EASY!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1851.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	23036  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #24

Equally impressive are the numbers of people who are 100% unprepared.
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
Always Learning

I'm in the "marginally"/under prepared department. I carry a handful of things, but if something big happens (tires, suspension, appliances)- it is going to be above my paygrade anyway. You have to understand- I was proud of myself when I fixed my UltraFab Eliminators after forgetting to loosen them when putting up my landing gear. I'm not handy; heck, I'm not even handsome!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Sharkbites of the correct size work on everything.

And are EASY!!!!!!
To be honest, I found them intimidating! It made easier/simpler sense to replace specific things with like parts since that's what I had in front of me and was looking at. :-) I knew if I replaced this hose with that same type of hose, it should work. Same with the clamps.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #27

Truly, I am not attempting to dash anyone who can or cannot repair a broken item. It’s above my ability to replace many items in and on the engine, and I cannot carry a spare refrigerator or furnace, etc. I’d never attempt to do so. Frankly, I am amazed at the resourcefulness and utility some people exhibit and at times wish I’d be as creative.

For those who are on this site, we all learn something along the way which sometimes shows just how ignorant [we] truly are. That includes me! LOL. Laughing at oneself is good medicine, don’t you think? I’ve got stories about me you would enjoy.

In my opinion, the unprepared are not those who read the variety of comments. These readers and advice givers are attempting to be prepared; quite unlike those folks who simply purchase an RV of any sort and promptly head to the far reaches of solitude with no experience or even a cell phone.

My hat is off to all attendees, likewise anyone who responds, always.
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler2955 View Post
Truly, I am not attempting to dash anyone who can or cannot repair a broken item. It’s above my ability to replace many items in and on the engine, and I cannot carry a spare refrigerator or furnace, etc. I’d never attempt to do so. Frankly, I am amazed at the resourcefulness and utility some people exhibit and at times wish I’d be as creative.

For those who are on this site, we all learn something along the way which sometimes shows just how ignorant [we] truly are. That includes me! LOL. Laughing at oneself is good medicine, don’t you think? I’ve got stories about me you would enjoy.

In my opinion, the unprepared are not those who read the variety of comments. These readers and advice givers are attempting to be prepared; quite unlike those folks who simply purchase an RV of any sort and promptly head to the far reaches of solitude with no experience or even a cell phone.

My hat is off to all attendees, likewise anyone who responds, always.
I bet they have a (Cell Phone),as a matter of fact I bet they are on the (Cell Phone)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #29

Blue paper shop towels also are a big help finding drips. Light blue changes to dark with just a hint of water.
Truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
if ur not sure where the leak is coming from, u can wrap toilet paper around different areas and see what gets wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaM View Post
Personnaly, if it's a tough spot to get into, difficult access, I'd just cut that 'T' out and replace it with SharkBite fittings. So fast and easy it's astounding. I've never had one leak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman View Post
Blue paper shop towels also are a big help finding drips. Light blue changes to dark with just a hint of water.
Some very good ideas, Thanks!!!

Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #31
Always Learning

Leaking hose in plumbing

(deleted)
Old 01-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #32
Always Learning

My how history repeats itself. We just went for a walk and when we came back, I noticed water dripping from the rear corner of the camper. Traced it back to the lines that supply the outdoor kitchen with water. Fortunately, it's fairly easily accessible.

I am fairly positive that I still have hose clamps from last time (from this thread). Hopefully! There isn't a hardware store for 45-60 minutes in any direction from here.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451868870.943033.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	97218
Old 01-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #33

They leak because the braided white tubing was never designed to go on PEX fittings. The ID of the braided tubing is too large for a tight fit on PEX fittings.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #34
Always Learning

Well, the good news is that I have hose clamps. They worked before, so hopefully will work again.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451870481.746399.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	97220
Old 01-04-2016, 01:57 AM   #35
Always Learning

Shut the water off and bypassed the water heater (since the leak was on the HW side). I then ran the faucet in the outdoor kitchen to strive for empty water lines.

As before, getting the old clamp off was a mother ducker. This time, I was able to mangle it with tinsnips until it came off.

The screw on hose clamp worked just fine on my first try. I have it wrapped in toilet paper now to check it after a bit (the kids went to bed shortly after I finished up, so I'll check it in the morning).
Old 01-04-2016, 06:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Shut the water off and bypassed the water heater (since the leak was on the HW side). I then ran the faucet in the outdoor kitchen to strive for empty water lines.

As before, getting the old clamp off was a mother ducker. This time, I was able to mangle it with tinsnips until it came off.

The screw on hose clamp worked just fine on my first try. I have it wrapped in toilet paper now to check it after a bit (the kids went to bed shortly after I finished up, so I'll check it in the morning).
Next time your at a hardware store buy some brass 90 degrees so you can tighten them down tight with out distortion to the 90.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Well, the good news is that I have hose clamps. They worked before, so hopefully will work again.

Attachment 97220
I think you will have better luck with screw clamps on the white braided as opposed to the cinch clamps. The reason is the cinch clamps are designed for a specific tubing size mated with the proper fitting and the PEX tubing and fitting are the correct combination for those clamps. Good luck in your repair and your travels!

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #38

Looks like (Worm Drive) clamps are in the Bag! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #39
Always Learning

Well crude, I should have replaced both cinch clamps back there apparently. It wasn't days later that the cold line started to leak. Replaced that one last night.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #40

Quote:
Well crude, I should have replaced both cinch clamps back there apparently. It wasn't days later that the cold line started to leak. Replaced that one last night.
I don't mean to highjack ependydad, but I have to say I love to read your honest posts of your great adventure...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, leaking hose, plumbing, water