Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,770
Unhappy Leaking hose in plumbing

I've got a hose/flexible pipe that is seems to have some kind of hole in it. I can't easily get to it, so I can't see it up close - but there is a fairly steady drip (1 drip ever couple of seconds). It's above the clamp on the hose holding it to a "T" connector. Not that it matters, but this is directly off of the back of the hot water heater bypass. Also, this worked fine for 7 months and even days before I noticed the drip - it was like it didn't drip until we got it home and were using it here at the house (running off of the FW tank and water pump).



In the picture, the red circle shows the general area. The brown arrow shows the ballpark of where the drip is appearing. I've tried feeling around for water above this, but haven't felt anything - so I think it's about here.

Fortunately, it's only about 6"-8" of hose. I'm thinking I can snip the clamps with wire cutters, get a replacement hose and then standard camps from a big box store.

Can you tell me what I need for the replacement hose? I can see that I need 1/2" inner diameter that's good for a higher PSI than my system will ever see. Do I need anything special because this is on the hot water side of the system?
__________________

__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've got a hose/flexible pipe that is seems to have some kind of hole in it. I can't easily get to it, so I can't see it up close - but there is a fairly steady drip (1 drip ever couple of seconds). It's above the clamp on the hose holding it to a "T" connector. Not that it matters, but this is directly off of the back of the hot water heater bypass. Also, this worked fine for 7 months and even days before I noticed the drip - it was like it didn't drip until we got it home and were using it here at the house (running off of the FW tank and water pump).



In the picture, the red circle shows the general area. The brown arrow shows the ballpark of where the drip is appearing. I've tried feeling around for water above this, but haven't felt anything - so I think it's about here.

Fortunately, it's only about 6"-8" of hose. I'm thinking I can snip the clamps with wire cutters, get a replacement hose and then standard camps from a big box store.

Can you tell me what I need for the replacement hose? I can see that I need 1/2" inner diameter that's good for a higher PSI than my system will ever see. Do I need anything special because this is on the hot water side of the system?
Looks to me as if you have a loose clamp. You can use regular hose clamps . It appears as if there is enough hose to cut a small piece off of the end if need be and still have enough hose left . Good luck! Jim
__________________

__________________
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Twisty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,138
Nothing special needed. Re-enforced flexible potable water hose.
__________________
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJim View Post
Looks to me as if you have a loose clamp. You can use regular hose clamps . It appears as if there is enough hose to cut a small piece off of the end if need be and still have enough hose left . Good luck! Jim
I did have the full picture opened and from being outside, I think the drip is coming from "above" the clamp. Orientation is funky here on the picture. The left side of coming off of the red hose is more vertical than it appears. It seems that the drip is appearing and then running down over the clamp to the "T" and then down the other clamp and hose.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Nothing special needed. Re-enforced flexible potable water hose.
Thanks. My father-in-law said that I should make sure to mention the guys in the plumbing dept. that it was for hot water lines. I wasn't sure if that would make a difference or not.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
jimh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lake Charles, La.
Posts: 1,531
i believe i would cut that clamp off and replace it (as farmerjim suggested). if that doesn't work, then i would cut the hose and slip it back on. don't overlook a cracked "T".

if ur not sure where the leak is coming from, u can wrap toilet paper around different areas and see what gets wet.

i have more confidence in it being a poor clamp than a cracked "T" though.
__________________
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
if ur not sure where the leak is coming from, u can wrap toilet paper around different areas and see what gets wet.
Toilet paper! I had the idea of wrapping some kind of paper around the area to see where it originates, but I couldn't figure out what kind of paper. TP is a great idea.

I'll give it a shot. I'm going to get a couple of clamps, a piece of replacement hose and a "T" when I run out tonight before attacking this tomorrow. That way, no matter what it is - I *should* have the part on hand.

Thanks!
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member
 
cfsoistman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upperco, Maryland
Posts: 3,135
I would try a regular hose clamp on the red tube and "T" fitting. Those pinch type clamps can loosen from the expansion and contraction from hot water going through the tube, then as the water cools off in the tube when not in use. I'd start there before cutting any tubing. It just might save you time, energy and a few curse words.
Ever notice the leaks always happen on the pipe or tube that's the toughest one to get to. It was the same situation when it was installed which is most likely why it now leaks.
__________________

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
mduff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 178
The clamps appear to be standard plumbing. I purchased the crimper at Home Depot. If the pipe is strained at the connection or at any angle mating with the T it may cause a leak.
__________________
Mike and Brenda

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member
 
cfsoistman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upperco, Maryland
Posts: 3,135
Just figured if the accessibilty is a problem a regular hose clamp could be tightened with a 1/4" socket on a ratchet and an extension or flex connector if necessary.
__________________

__________________

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hot water, leaking hose, plumbing, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.