Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #1

Leaking shower

I have a 2013 Cedar Creek 38ft 5th wheel that apparently has a leaking shower. Whenever I turn on the shower I immediately get water coming from underneath the shower. I can use the toilet and all other plumbing and do not see any leak. I can get up under the shower, in the basement, and do not see any water coming down the drain pipe. From reading other posts I assume there must be a leak in the shower pan. My question is, how do I access the shower pan? There is no or very little gap between the shower and the floor in the bathroom. From the basement all I can see is the plywood floor of the bathroom. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks, John Lewis
johnat4mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #2

There should be an access hole under the shower. Unscrew the cover and check the fittings for being tight. Our old sandpiper leaked and I found the tub drain itself was not tight and lacked plummers putty. 10 minutes later, no leak.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #3

Thanks, I appreciate the information.

John
Old 06-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Run the shower but catch the water in a bucket.
If it leaks like you say, you'll know right away if it's the plumbing or the pan/drain.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #5

Thanks. That was my next step. I guess I should hope that it is the shower fixtures somehow, at least I could get to that a little easier.

John
Old 09-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #6

Followup

So I finally got around to doing the diagnostics to try and find where the leak was coming from. I am pretty certain it is from the hot water side of the fixture in the shower. When I turn on the shower and run the hose into a bucket, I start seeing water coming from under the shower when I turn on the hot water valve in the shower fixture. I tried it several times and it seemed to be pretty consistent.
So, it seems that the problem is in the shower fixture itself, so do I attempt to get it fixed or just buy a whole new one.
I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks, John Lewis
Old 09-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
Site Team

It could be a loose nut on the mixing valve, so it may be possible to just tighten it. However, Since you'll already be in there, do you want to trust that the problem will stay fixed?

I'd lean toward replacing it with a better unit.

Tags
leak, show, shower