Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #1

Leaking Shower

Hi,
I lurked around here a few months ago before I purchased a 2013 Sabre 34RLQS-6. If I forget to drain my gray water holding tank before it get full and backs up into the shower, the water leaks out from under the shower and runs into the under belly. I took it in and they suposedly repaired it. But, it stills leaks. I remember there was someone from FR that commented often on these post. I'm hoping he will see this and reply.

I spent 2 months in the trailer and tried to remember to keep it drained but, sometimes it slipped up on me. Am I asking to much to have this repaired again? It this a common problem with shower drains?

Thanks,

Wayne1951
wayne1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #2

Don't think this is a common problem. At least from my prospective, and we've had a TT, 5er, and 3MH's. First lesson to learn tho is to check your system waste levels and keep them emptied prior to overflow, regardless of leaking or not.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1951 View Post
Hi,
I lurked around here a few months ago before I purchased a 2013 Sabre 34RLQS-6. If I forget to drain my gray water holding tank before it get full and backs up into the shower, the water leaks out from under the shower and runs into the under belly. I took it in and they suposedly repaired it. But, it stills leaks. I remember there was someone from FR that commented often on these post. I'm hoping he will see this and reply.

I spent 2 months in the trailer and tried to remember to keep it drained but, sometimes it slipped up on me. Am I asking to much to have this repaired again? It this a common problem with shower drains?

Thanks,

Wayne1951
Wayne: NO it is not a common problem. NO RV manufacturer would design and construct a gray water system to leak if the tank is not emptied. I recently had the same event occur with my 29RLSS. The technician found a leaking joint presumably at the entrance of the shower drain pipe into the rear gray water tank. He applied additional pipe sealant over the existing joint area. This is NOT the appropriate way to fix a leaking joint. BUT, it is the most expedient way for a technician not being supervised. I have not used the RV since the alleged repair. The most logical cause of the leak is the flexing of the shower stall floor. This causes the plumbing to also flex and break joints. The only possible remedy I can recognize is to brace the underside of the shower stall floor. This would entail removal of the floor to place bracing under it. My technician did, but he used styrofoam sheets! NOT a very solid material and it will collapse and allow continued flexing and probable leaking of the plumbing system. I would call Forest River warranty service and establish a warranty complaint file. Have their representative involved and directing the future repair. IF my RV plumbing leak continues, I will take it to the factory. The secret is getting the defect documented before the expiration of warranty.
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #4

Wayne,

See link below.
I had been on here awhile back discussing this issue. My leak was not caused by the plumbing but rather the door/glass enclosure system. Water would show up in my lower storage and on the floor.

I took it to my dealer at first and they jacked around with it and said it was fixed. I messed up there by not going out with a rep and testing. Shame on me for taking their word that they had.

I must clarify that I'm not having any issue with the fiberglass portion.

On my next trip it leaked again. I contacted FR this time and they said they had a known problem with their previously manufacturer for the enclosure system. This time I went to a different dealer and had FR ship the door system to them direct. They installed the new system and also said they had tested it. Again I also took their word for it. I think I learned something here.

Next trip out it held up better but eventually I had water running out of the aluminum extrusions at the corners of the glass. I'm guessing that the water is more or less filling up an area then running out.

I haven't seen what a cut section looks like through the aluminum and glass system but obviously it doesn't seal properly.

What I plan to do is cut off the interior excess rubber that is visible around the glass and lay a bead of high quality mold resistant sealant in this corner as well as any other areas that look susceptible to leaks. Another idea is to drill a few holes in the exterior side of the lower aluminum frame piece. I think this would allow me to direct the water out to where I can see it if it leaks again.

It will not be back to the dealer for this issue!

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eak-37812.html
TheGoodwin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #5

TheGoodwin4

Thanks for your feedback and photos. Good info.

Wayne
Old 01-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #6

Are you in an rv park or boondocking it. Either way you evidently have a way to empty the gray water tank. Why don't you just leave the gray water tank valve open so there is no back up issue till you can find the reason?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Are you in an rv park or boondocking it. Either way you evidently have a way to empty the gray water tank. Why don't you just leave the gray water tank valve open so there is no back up issue till you can find the reason?

Good Morning Bubbles,
I do both. I hold my gray water to use for flush after draining my black water.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #8

Wayne,

Is your water only showing up only on the floor on up higher around the base of the shower glass door/wall system? I'm interested if you have same system I had in mine.
TheGoodwin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:42 AM   #9

Some water shows up high around the base of the door. That's not my big concern though. A lot of water run out under the shower into the underbelly. I'm talking gallons of water.

Tags
leak, show, shower