Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 11:50 PM   #1

Leaks under Shower 2018 Forest River Toy hauler

Anyone have any advice on how to find and stop the constant leaks under the shower that run under the wall into the bedroom of a Forest River 2018 Toy hauler? I am sick to death that we paid so much money for something we cannot use because of the constant leaks. The dealer took it back but did not fix it. then we paid a mobile RV repair guy over 600 bucks and after three trips here, it still leaks. I would think Forest River would care more about a quality RV, but evidently not since you cannot even contact them.
tfqh0218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:05 AM   #2
RV There Yet?

What is the model number of your camper? there is probably somebody on here who has the exact same one as you. there are some great people here who can help!

Since I didn't see a welcome thread for you, Welcome!
Old 01-08-2019, 12:08 AM   #3

Hard to fix a leak until you know where it's coming from. Can you access the space under the shower so you can check for loose connections of water supply and drains?

I had a leak in our current shower and finally determined most water was coming from the gasket holding the glass panels in the frame. Sealed the entire shower enclosure to fix.

Another unit we owned had a leak around the drain, but would only leak when someone was in it causing flex. Replaced and resealed drain hardware to fix that one.

Sorry you are having such a frustrating experience. Keep at it and I'm sure you will get it done.

Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:25 AM   #4

My 21RR was doing the same thing, take a shower and a small stream was running under the wall out into the living area.
I found the bathroom walls were installed first and then the tub put in. The tub should have been put in first and then the walls so they can over lap the lip on the tub for water to drain down the walls back into the tub.
I had to take the tub molding off and seal around the tubs edge with silicone and that took care of the problem.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #5

Fixed mine

I had the same issue in our 360IBL. I took the shower drain out and was going to re-apply the plumbers putty that seals the drain to the flange. Went to the Home Depot to get some putty and read on the directions "Do not use on plastic fixtures. For plastic fixtures use silicone sealant". Got some silicone and have had no leaks in 2 years. BTW, I might add that plumbers putty was used originally.
Goferbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:09 AM   #6

We had the same problem with our Grey Wolf 25RL. I just got some bathroom silicone and if it was a seam it got caulked. Not the prettiest but if not for the door seal I could make it an indoor hot tub.
kurtsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:37 AM   #7

we had one of those mystery leaks in our 2015 Micro Lite 25KS garden shower, ... I silicon caulked every seam plus every other place where water might could get out of the stall, to no avail, ... finally came up with this idea: we still had the shower curtain salvaged from the total loss accident of our 2014 Micro Lite 21DS, using command hooks around the top of the glass enclosure, we now hang that curtain on the inside of the shower stall from one wall all the way around the glass and door to the other wall, no more leaks, ... we unhook it and move it to one side when thru showering to go out the door and for it to dry, ... the curtain is apparently keeping the water from going wherever it was before to leak out of the shower stall, ... the curtain inside the glass shower stall also gives an additional amount of privacy when showering, ... we had a visitor with us on two trips last year and that extra privacy made life much more comfortable for all of us, when three adults are living in a small trailer, ... but the main goal was to stop the leak and it did, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goferbroke View Post
I had the same issue in our 360IBL. I took the shower drain out and was going to re-apply the plumbers putty that seals the drain to the flange. Went to the Home Depot to get some putty and read on the directions "Do not use on plastic fixtures. For plastic fixtures use silicone sealant". Got some silicone and have had no leaks in 2 years. BTW, I might add that plumbers putty was used originally.
There are several different types of putty for different types of plumbing applications. Putty is almost always better to use than silicone caulk for installations where putty is supposed to be used. And, if I was to use a caulk instead of putty, it would be a latex caulk. Silicone caulk has its place, but generally not with plumbing.

Bruce
Old 01-09-2019, 06:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Silicone caulk has its place, but generally not with plumbing.

Bruce

And it will rust the crap out of the screws holding the molding in.
I thought the screws were stainless

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #10

OK! I will post a funny to most. At the time I did not think so but now it is.
A friend visited us one weekend, stayed overnight, and showered next day.

Took a military shower (save the hot water) except when they finished, water was never turned off only shower head push button.

Well guess what, water leaked into bedroom as TFGH0218 stated.

Discovered accidentally that night, mopped up mess, turned water in shower off correctly, and believe it or not I never had that problem again.

OK! All ... You can have a good laugh on my account. Had to post, add some humor.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, leak, show, shower, toy hauler