Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #1

Leaky water valve on Thetford Style Plus/Model #34430

Been having water around the cowling on toilet for a few months. DW decided to take the 1st step to fix by removing the cowling and letting me know it was ready to check out. Found that the water valve leaks when I flush. If I press the pedal slightly as to fill the bowl it is fine. When I fully press the pedal as in to flush, it leaks pretty bad. Cant tell exactly where on the valve it is coming from. Should I replace the valve, arm and spring? Does it all come as an assembly? OR should I just replace the valve. This is the 3rd commode in a 2 yr old unit. 2 Dometic 310's, then dealer recommended I upgrade to this one. Love the toilet but not sure if the quality is there after reading other comments. The Thetford is about 1 yr old. DW will have to pull paper work to verify that. Anyone know the cost of this valve thingy? Leaving on 6 day trip for Easter and guess I'll have to use as is for now. Thanks in advance for replying to my 4 question post. Steve A. Dagro
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #2

"I FIXED IT"!! Bought new valve at CW. Removed commode(5 minute job). I then replaced valve another 5 minute job) and voila.. No more leaks. Steve
Old 04-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Awesome.

When I replaced mine I also put in a shutoff valve and a hand wand.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...c-v-15261.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #4

Jerk I remember you telling me that when I was having issues with my old Dometic 310 so I did the same. But this job took me about 10 minutes as I don't do good work laying on the floor on my side as I get vertigo "vewy, vewy easy. Steve
Old 04-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #5

Couldn't figure out how todo. Hand wand/sprayer?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Foot note to anyone replacing water valves, faucets, etc: Get some silicone paste lube like Danco's and take the valve apart and lube the inside and any moving parts. They will work much better, last a lot longer and they won't sqeak.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
Couldn't figure out how to do. Hand wand/sprayer?
Gosh I hate "auto-spell Checkers"!

Yes I used the Dometic Hand sprayer option, but did not use the built in "hose barb" on the valve since the barb only has pressure when the flush valve is open. I use the wand to pre-fill the bowl when needed and to wash down the sides using a higher pressure (flush valve closed).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Bidet 037.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	50137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Bidet 016.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	50138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Bidet 021.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	50139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Bidet 010.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	50140  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #8

Oh gee thanks Coot! Where were you when I had everything apart? Well, that was probably the easiest repair job I have everyone in nearly 8 years of camping. Hopefully this valve last longer than the original which was only 2 years. I assume I would have to catch water supply line below floor to put sprayer attachment in. Don't have enough room in blue line to commode after installing valve to put a "T" connector for sprayer. Maybe next fime
Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
Oh gee thanks Coot! Where were you when I had everything apart? Well, that was probably the easiest repair job I have everyone in nearly 8 years of camping. Hopefully this valve last longer than the original which was only 2 years. I assume I would have to catch water supply line below floor to put sprayer attachment in. Don't have enough room in blue line to commode after installing valve to put a "T" connector for sprayer. Maybe next fime
Should be easier now, you are experienced and the parts are new.

Besides, that's my SOP, doing everything at least twice.

Tags
leak, water, modifications