Old 01-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #1

Leave Heat Tape On when Water Off?

Sort of quick question, I have my water line from park water to the inlet heat taped and wrapped in pipe insulation. I was going to turn the water off tonight (down to 22), drain the lines, but keep the heat tape on so my park water handle does not freeze (park water hook up also wrapped with same tape). I have other sort of exposed water lines and do not need water until tomorrow afternoon.

So if I turn off the water and leave the tape on will it damage the hose with no water in it? Or just turn off the water and tape and turn the tape back on tomorrow and hope it loosens the water handle ... or will the water handle not freeze ... or am I over thinking this?

Thanks
Bill

Old 01-28-2014, 12:28 AM   #2
Site Team

I can't answer your specific heat tape question, as I've never used it.

But, I can tell you if you leave the water running (just a small stream) since the water's flowing it will be harder to freeze. It will also allow the water to expand without bursting a pipe in case it does freeze.

Just watch out for ice under the faucet in the morning.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:36 AM   #3

Generally heat tape comes in two flavors, temperature controled and always on. Temperature controled will have a bubble at the plug end. That bubble will have some device that makes electrical contact when the temperature drops below it's setting. The other flavor is always on and it will provide some level of wattage per foot. Short of infinite insulation neither will compromise the conveyance. It is advised that the lines wouldn't be emptied if the tape is energized. This advice has the implied value and warranty paid.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #4

Thanks. I ended up leaving the water on and the heat taped inlet line on. I tried my new setup (I had wrapped the exposed pipes under the TT this weekend with foam ... no heat-tape ... none in stores for miles). Water did not freeze. Will see how it goes today
Old 01-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
NELA

I was considering buying one of these:
PIRIT water hose | eBay

However, on Camping World there are some negative reviews; the electric cord for these is only 6' long, and if you use an extension cord it voids the warranty.
(one guy's review notes that in Ohio his water line froze up anyway because "it was exposed to wind chill factor -35/40"...once he sheltered it from wind it did OK)

I bought a plumber type heat tape ...$8.00... back in October but have yet to use it.

Given the mixed reviews ...and the crazy price....I don't think I'll be investing in a PIRIT hose any time soon.

Anyone know if pool noodles and pipe insulation (the black foam Freon line type) are made of the same material? Just a streaming thought kinda question.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #6

Not sure about the foam vs swim noodle (though they are definitely different material / cell size and different in terms of flexibility ... the black foam is a much smaller cell). I wrapped my exposed plastic water lines under the TT in the black foam from home depot (12 ft for 3 dollars) and taped the seam shut. No way to get heat tape under the trailer without major surgery. Worked well last night but started freezing again today. I added the dripping water at the sinks and seems to working in 21 deg temp in combination with the heat taped/insulated water in -line.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #7

My hose and hose connect froze. A couple of hours ago. No heat tape. What now? Ant advise is appreciated. We have a brand new 2014 grey wolf tag along. 26 ft.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brphillips View Post
My hose and hose connect froze. A couple of hours ago. No heat tape. What now? Ant advise is appreciated. We have a brand new 2014 grey wolf tag along. 26 ft.
Last time it happened years ago I disconnected the hose & brought it inside (the shower) to thaw. But the main supply faucet froze & had to get it thawed.

I have never used heat tape but now leave the water run slightly. Be sure to leave the grey tank open.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Last time it happened years ago I disconnected the hose & brought it inside (the shower) to thaw. But the main supply faucet froze & had to get it thawed.

I have never used heat tape but now leave the water run slightly. Be sure to leave the grey tank open.

X''s 2 just let the water drip like he said above you will not freeze your line.....

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water