Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #21

Dump after each trip, put in the Calogon water softner and detergent mixed with water. The splashing around on the way home will coat your tank and you should be set to go for the next trip. I wouldn't leave it in there any longer then I had to.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnys_walkers View Post
Be careful of any Sewer Use Bylaws in your area. If you are caught in our area introducing anything other than raw domestic sewage into the system, (this means any chemicals that kill bacteria) you are subject to a $10,000 fine. We operate a biological Wastewater Treatment Plant.
So, exactly what is going to come out of my holding tanks that isn't going down the household drains when flushing, washing dishes, clothes, etc?

You know, like phosphates in laundry soap?

Which apparently kills bacteria....

Now, pumping into the storm drain is a different story. Wouldn't want to introduce biodegradable poop to the engine oil, antifreeze, transmission oil and road salt that flushes down there with every rainfall.

I'm not trying to be snotty, I just don't understand the point you're trying to make.....I mean, sure; I get no dumping varsol, acetone or methyl-tetra-floro type stuff down the drains.

But what can plain old macerated pop, TP, urine and water possibly do to threaten a system designed to deal with it in the first place?

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
Old 08-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #23

I've been giving my tank a good flush, till clear then adding enough water to cover the bottom and adding the chemical. It sometimes sits for a month between trips. Is that too long to have the chem in it? I'm using the Walex Porta-Pac.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Well, mine specifically. Even though I'm an active guy who gets alot of fiber, filling a 30 gallon tank in 2 days is a challenge.

Seems a waste (excuse the pun) of chemicals to just dump after a weekend trip. Some places I go also don't have hookup and there is a line at the dump station. Is it OK to just leave it until the next trip (2 to 3 weeks later)? Or am I flirting with disaster? Are there certain brands of treatement that would ensure I'm not creating bricks in that time?
I know, I know, all the boys can't stand it when it comes to this topic. I always flush my tank thoroughly after each trip. I might add that I wipe it with a clean microfiber towel too. Couldn't resist!

It depends on the amount that is left in the tank and how soon you will be able to dump again. Make sure there is plenty of water in the tank. Remember water adds to towing weight and also to stress on the brackets holding the tanks to the frame.

Unless there is very little in the tank(s), I would wait in line at the dump station. I don't like traveling with my tanks full.

Have read stories about tanks falling off going down the highway. Stinks! Be patient in line. Preventive maintenance is cheaper than repairs.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex

Have read stories about tanks falling off going down the highway. Stinks! Be patient in line. Preventive maintenance is cheaper than repairs.
I sure wouldn't want to be behind the RV that has that happen to it, gross!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #26

This is a crappy thread... There I feel better.

IMO Dump It! I have to make myself wait until the tank is full to dump. I want to get that sh.../ stuff out of my RV asap.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #27

Well, you can be assured that, as you watched the poop splatter across the front of your truck, that you were there when the crap actually hit the fan.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #28

Lol, good point.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #29

If you have a black tank flush, finish filling your black tank, dump and be done with it.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #30

My wife and I have used just about every brand of to out there at one time or another and have had absolutely no problems with our system in the 6 years that we have had our Cherokee I have found the secret to be use plenty of water and prince that tank well after you dump
Old 08-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #31
Dallas Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Hey, I draw the line at baggin the dog's!

I have visions of Cousin Eddie dumping the RV tank in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #32
phat phrog stunt crew

Seems a waste (excuse the pun) of chemicals to just dump after a weekend trip.

just curious how much gas/diesel cost you to pull your camper to the campground and your worried about an additional 5 bucks cost? 5 bucks is priceless to keep that smell out of the camper, or having to drop it later to clean it.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #33

Believe me, cost is no object when it comes to poop!

More like being lazy more than wasteful. Was curious if there were any chems out there than would keep my poo unnaturally liquid for long periods.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #34

Metamuesal!

Man this $%^& is getting deep.

Just fill it with water and dump the $%^& out of it. Fill it again and dump the $%^& out of it!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Metamuesal!

Man this $%^& is getting deep.

Just fill it with water and dump the $%^& out of it. Fill it again and dump the $%^& out of it!
I think it's being over thunk
Old 08-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #36
phat phrog stunt crew

i believe this subject has run its course.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
i believe this subject has run its course.
I believe so, too. I think the OP questions were answered, so this thread is gonna be closed.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
Closed Thread