Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

LF Alternative to KW1 Water Filter

I have searched the the web & these forums but do not see any posts relating to a non water pur company replacement part that will work for the KW1 filter.

However, I figure that there is likely someone out there that has already gone through the headache of trying to find an offbrand that will work.

Thanks for your help.
maelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #2

One of a kind

I spoke with WaterPur and they stated that Forest River will not allow them to sell to any other supplier so you can only obtain the KW1 through Forest River. I also spoke with another water filter supplier and they told me that Forest River used to install standard cannisters so you could use any cartridge; however, in 2012 they began installing this unique cannister (model FR1) and only the KW1 will fit. We will be removing this system and installing a standard cannister system. It will cost less to install the new cannister than it would to replace the KW1 cartridge and then we can get the cartridges from any of our local suppliers for about 1/3 the cost.
Moosecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #3

That filter, though pricey, is one of the best filters out there. The cheap, inline filters are just tissue wrapped carbon granules held in place by a plastic reinforcement. The tissue comes apart rather quickly and you need to replace those filters every 1-3 months. The K-1 filter will last through 1k gallons (min) or they say 1 year. The K-1 is a sintered filter, which is carbon placed in a form and under very high pressure the carbon then comes out of the form looking like a hollow pipe, self supporting and would be ok by itself but the pre-filter screen material covering it looks better and actually captures a majority of bigger micron stuff. It also filters Giardia and some "other bugs" I can't remember. So I guess, for me, $30 or so a year is not much in the big scheme and I do like the way it works.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #4

I am in the process of researching a replacement filter for our KW1 in a 2013 Trilogy. We have camped approximately 30 days and the filter is tan/brown in color. Other’s report the same, expect only 30 days of life. Many owners have already installed new whole house options, from Lowes or Home Depot, for about the cost of a new FR filter. Their filter replacements then are about $7.00.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #5

I was also going to replace the system but I also figure for the $30 for the filter is it really worth it. I'm sure you can get more than a month out of it. The fact that it is a tan color after some use surely tells you it's actually working. My dealer stocks replacement filters from waterpur. I was there on Monday for something else and picked one up. The popular camco filter most people use on their hose, including me before getting our new unit, are $20 anyway and maybe not as good and need replaced too. Would it be nice to buy $7 filters? Yes. But how good are they and how often would you change them? I'll stick with the waterpur system for now at least.
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
Average Joe

I read that the FR filter was designed to provide better flow with the pump. I don't know if this is true. I won't be changing setups for now.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5erDriver View Post
I was also going to replace the system but I also figure for the $30 for the filter is it really worth it. I'm sure you can get more than a month out of it. The fact that it is a tan color after some use surely tells you it's actually working. My dealer stocks replacement filters from waterpur. I was there on Monday for something else and picked one up. The popular camco filter most people use on their hose, including me before getting our new unit, are $20 anyway and maybe not as good and need replaced too. Would it be nice to buy $7 filters? Yes. But how good are they and how often would you change them? I'll stick with the waterpur system for now at least.
I will likely get between 30 and 60 days on my KW1 stock filter and yes, it appears to be working very well. This is what Trilogy Full Timers, on average were reporting. Not sure what the mircon spec's are, probably a 5. I had not thought about the dealer selling them. However I have doubts about even a dealer being able to get a KW1 filter for $20.00. Forest River and two other select dealers sell them on-line, all at $29.95 plus shipping = about $40.00 per filter. That is the cost of a new GE cannister. 5 micron fitlers, GE, are for $12.00, there after.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #8

The filter at my dealer was $32 and change. They stocked housings and some other related bits and pieces. As I say. Was tempted to replace entire system but figure we will get our entire season from one filter so I'll stay with it for now unless the filters go up a lot in price.
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5erDriver View Post
The filter at my dealer was $32 and change. They stocked housings and some other related bits and pieces. As I say. Was tempted to replace entire system but figure we will get our entire season from one filter so I'll stay with it for now unless the filters go up a lot in price.
I did a little research, called FR and posted to the Trilogy portion of the Forum, here is the link http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...yth-53734.html
Old 01-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #10

30 micron at 2.5 gpm compared to 5 micron at 4 gpm at a fraction of the cost, a no-brainer to me....
rlreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #11

I like my standard plumbing supply charcoal filters @ $5.00 a piece. The last one installed lasted 60 days of camping and had more to go. I winterized the trailer and tossed it out. Charcoal takes out odors and makes the water sparkly clear.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter