Old 04-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

Liquid plumber or Drano?

Any contras against using these in the outdoor kitchen sink drain? It's not completely stopped up, just getting slow. Have tried to keep fats out of drains in sinks, don't know what causes...

campfiregirl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfiregirl57 View Post
Any contras against using these in the outdoor kitchen sink drain? It's not completely stopped up, just getting slow. Have tried to keep fats out of drains in sinks, don't know what causes...
Good heavens NO!

Try pouring some Dawn liquid down that drain to break up grease and food. If that doesn't work, try one of the products in the rv store to 'eat' the waste.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #3

Liquid plumber or Drano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Good heavens NO!...
x10, never use those caustic Chems in the Rv holding tank. It is extremely dangerous should anyone have to work on it. Also not sure if Rv plumbing fixtures like hepo valve can withstand that strong of a chem.
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #4

X2 with Snowbird. Too much of a possible hazard when you go to dump tanks. Don't want any of that splashed on ya.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #5

Thanks. Figured as much.
campfiregirl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #6

I've been a fan of the Drano foaming cleaners at my house. Haven't needed it in my trailer (yet).

The foaming cleaner doesn't just run along the bottom of the pipe but is supposed to cover the entire inside of the pipe to clean more grease/soap buildup.

It's safe for plastic pipe but I would probably wait to use it until I was at a full hookup site so I could flush well after the 1 hour sit time.

Before resorting to chemical warfare it might be a good idea to just remove the p-trap first and see how much buildup there is in it. If minimal then consider just running a stiff wire with the end bent back and wound into a loop down the discharge pipe. Rotating the wire as you push it down the pipe will scrape crud off the walls of the pipe and when done just flush drain with boiling water.

My wife had a bad habit of pouring grease from the frying pan down the drain while running hot water. Worked fine until water got cold and grease congealed about 20' down the line. Cost me a visit from a plumber to have him snake it out. Two hours of his work cost me half a month's house payment

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #7

Do you have the strainer screens to go in the drains to keep chunks from going down.
Since its outside, have you tried running a waterhose in the drain sealed with a disrag to try and flush it through. Same deal with air, like from a shop vac going either direction . Had you taken off the trap?
Like the others said, chemical means would not be an approach I'd take. Did you try a couple buckets of hot water?
jeff64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #8

Hmmm How about Thrift (professional stuff)? It's posta be safe for all finishes, septic, salad dressing etc... I will look it up.

I personally think it would be in the trap and an easy repair.
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #9

Iím a plumber. There are many chemicals you could use that would work, but I wonít mention them here due to the obvious general objection to the use of chemicals and the unwarranted hysteria. I havenít met a Drano or Liquid Plumber yet that is harsh enough to even make my hands itch. They arenít strong enough to hurt any of your RVs plumbing. Itís worth giving it a shot.

Since I am a plumber, I own equipment for clearing drains. If I was in your situation, I would be using my Ridgid K-50 machine with 7-1/2í sections of 5/8Ē cable. I would be attaching a 1Ē grease cutting head (spade) to the cable. I would remove the trap and snake from there to the tank ó maybe two or three times. After putting the trap back on, I would finish by filling the sink full with hot water and let it rip.

You can rent the exact same equipment I just mentioned at most tool rental places. Make sure you get the head I mentioned because a standard corkscrew-type retrieving head wonít get the job done right.

If you want to get fancy (and wet), rent a small jetter. That will do a nice job.

Bruce
Old 04-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #10

Hmm I see nothing on RVs

Thrift Drain Cleaner | Thrift Marketing, Inc.

Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote