Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #1

Lost water heater cover on way to long weekend

Hi, we got to the campground 2 hours from our home to discover the water heater cover missing. Is there any danger in operating it without the cover? Is there something I could fashion to put over it until we get home and can order a replacement?

It's on the side under the awning, which we are anchoring in hopes of keeping it down all weekend.

We have a 2010 Sunseeker 3120.

Thank you!
Lynlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #2

I think you'll be ok without a cover even going down the road. If you have a 3 way refrig I'd set it to auto and let it decide what it wants for "power" as you go down the road. Also, I believe you're better off leaving it open, especially since it ill be under the awning, at the campground.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I think you'll be ok without a cover even going down the road. If you have a 3 way refrig I'd set it to auto and let it decide what it wants for "power" as you go down the road. Also, I believe you're better off leaving it open, especially since it ill be under the awning, at the campground.

Thanks so much! Will need to figure out which replacement to buy. It won't match up with the piece of the decal that's missing but....
Old 08-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #4

Does it look like this or is your unit just white with decals? Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4498.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	116434  
Old 08-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Just white with decals. Part of the "swoosh" will be missing. Just ordered one for less than $40 at Amazon; will be at my house next week probably before I will!
Old 08-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #6

Our friend lost his on a new cardinal. Camping world replaced and repainted the new one to match.
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplewon View Post
Our friend lost his on a new cardinal. Camping world replaced and repainted the new one to match.
Oh sheesh I didn't even think about trying to get it replaced under our extended warranty! May try that. Depends on what they can do since it's a $100 deductible (we bought used). Thanks for the info!
Old 08-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #8

You could just try to order the decal from your dealer. My friend ordered a whole duplicate set of the decals on his camper. (he put them on his TV so his truck matches the camper.. it looks cool). So I know it's possible to just order a decal.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 172av8r View Post
You could just try to order the decal from your dealer. My friend ordered a whole duplicate set of the decals on his camper. (he put them on his TV so his truck matches the camper.. it looks cool). So I know it's possible to just order a decal.
Oh wow I don't think I knew that was possible! Thanks for the tip!

I'm sure that looks great. If we ever go the towable route, I would love matcihing the trailer to the TV!
Old 08-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #10

had the same issue with our microlite a few months back ... aluminum foil served us well for the remainder of that trip (and kept away the aliens ;-) ). We now have a clip on the new cover so it cannot come off ....

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
had the same issue with our microlite a few months back ... aluminum foil served us well for the remainder of that trip (and kept away the aliens ;-) ). We now have a clip on the new cover so it cannot come off ....
Thanks, how did you secure it?

We have a clip. I am assuming that one of my kids - who like all matters of buttons, knobs, etc - opened or was playing with the clip before we left. For some reason I didn't check the cover - I checked all the hatches and. compartments except that one!
Old 08-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #12

Google RV Vinyl Decals, there are several site you can buy individual decals.
You might find just what you want for a whole lot less.
Las Cruces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #13

A suggestion for all who have a Suburban water heater and a reason why you may have lost your cover. Original comes with a plastic clip that holds the cover in place and it can become brittle and break off allowing the cover to fall off. Purchase one of the replacement clips you can find at the RV stores that are metal and will not break like the plastic ones. do more lost covers... Just a recommendation.
Navigator - Gail
Louie & Cleo - Jack Russell's (Rulers of the Roost)
Fore Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynlanning View Post
Thanks, how did you secure it?

We have a clip. I am assuming that one of my kids - who like all matters of buttons, knobs, etc - opened or was playing with the clip before we left. For some reason I didn't check the cover - I checked all the hatches and. compartments except that one!

Pretty straight forward ...just one of the snap hook carabiner clips like we use on our gates, our keys, all sorts of places that went thru the metal piece that turns to hold the cover on.

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, heater, water, water heater