Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #1

Low point drain

I am just finished filling up the fresh water tank on my Grey Wolf 27djfs for the first time. My low point drain closest to the fill spot will not quit draining. I understand the point of the drain is to drain the water lines but it has been draining for the last 10 mins! I checked the “valve” in the low point drain and it is a plastic piece that will not move so I am assuming that it is already in the off position because when I left the dealership, I left with a full fresh water tank. Any suggestions for this first time TT owner?
rowe0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:25 PM   #2

Did it maybe have a capon the drain tube? Is it missing? If it has a valve and the handle lines up with the tubing then it is open. If the handle is 90 degrees from the tubing then it is closed.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #3

It did not have a cap on it (that I remember) it stopped draining about 5 mins ago...... is it normal to drain that long? Was there 20-30 mins worth of water in the lines? Thank you for your reply
rowe0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #4

You may have drained the whole tank and not just the lines. Typical trailer has clear or white for tank drain and red and blue for system/line drains.
It does take a while to drain as the lines are pretty small.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #5

The low point drain near the fresh water fill should be for the tank itself. The valve is usually plain white. There should be two additional lot point drains for the lines in another location. They are usually color coded blue for cold and red for hot.

You said the tank was full when you left the dealer and you just finished filling it at home. It sounds like the valve is stuck in the drain position and it drained the first time on the way home and again now. As others have said the handle in line with the pipe is open (tank draining), the handle 90 degrees to the pipe is closed (picture of my closed valve attached).

If it won't turn try using a liberal dose of WD40. ONLY turn it by hand, it is just plastic. If that doesn't free it I would take it back to the dealer. If you break it it won't be covered under warranty.

It isn't unusual for it to take 20 minutes, it more, to completely drain the tank. You're talking about 40 gallons our more through a relatively small diameter tube that is only gravity fed.Click image for larger version

Name:	1563502189271.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	210246
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #6

When you opened the low point drains, did you open the faucets in the trailer (kitchen, bathroom, shower, outdoor shower)? If not, there may have been negative pressure in the line causing the water to either drain slowly or, in some cases, not at all. I've found that opening at least one of these faucets helps drain the lines more fully and faster.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
Site Team

There are two sets of water drains in most RVs. The low point drains ( usually red & blue Pex) are to drain the water lines in the water system for winterization or long term storage. The white or clear drain line close to the FW tank fill is the FW tank drain and is used to drain the FW tank. The FW tank drain will either have a 1/4 turn valve on it or a plastic cap but you must have one or the other. It is not unusual for the cap to vibrate off if it is not tightened. Some times this will be installed incorrectly after a dealer PDI. Check the end of the hose, if there is a threaded fitting without a cap, then you need to install a cap. You might consider adding a valve for future convenience as long as you are working on it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #8

As said above.... There are "Low Point Drains" (normally 2)
AND there is a "fresh tank drain". I think you have opened fresh tank drain and yes it takes a while.

Mine (most) come with a cap that is removed to open these drains.

Some come with valve or owners modify to add valve for convenience.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain