Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #1

Low Point Drain Valves

Has anyone found a good source for shutoff valves that I can attach to the low point drains on my 2016 Flagstaff Ultra-lite. It would be easier then taking off the twist off caps every time I want to drain the camper. I've checked Home Depot and they were of little help and I checked Amazon. A link would be extremely helpful. Thanks.
PCStrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain Valves C.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	96289

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain Valves O.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	96290Bought 2 PEX valves from home depot but I had the crimp tools not easy to do without They also sell sharkbite valves for 1/2 inch PEX which I think would work OK.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Go look in plumming section at HD or Lowes....their full of 'em ( plastic or brass)
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Left Coast

Pex is also good, if you have ground clearence
Old 12-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #5

Yep, I did quarter turn plastic valves in place of the caps. Any hardware store will carry them. Just bring your cap to match the size and thread. I don't have pics of mine but here is a buddy's rig that did the same thing.

Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #6

SharkBite 1/2 in. Chrome-Plated Brass Push-to-Connect x 3/8 in. O.D. Compression Quarter-Turn Straight Stop Valve-23037-0000LF - The Home Depot

Not sure where exactly the low points on your unit are but thes shark bite valves are the easiest to install. They can also be removed if you need to.

I installed two of these under my sink when I changed out the faucet.
Have a look there are other configurations of these shark bite valves. Find one that will suit your needs/location.

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #7

X2 Karl4Cat ! Installed those 1/4 turn valves with plumber's tape on the threads. Works perfectly with no leak.
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #8

The weak point of the low point drains are the valves outside. I suggest you install them as the 2nd post showed inside. Then you don't need any end caps and they can't freeze on you without water being trapped in them. I got caught in a freeze and had a major leak at the 90 degree on mine. Now I don't have to worry about them freezing anymore.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #9

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Yep, I did quarter turn plastic valves in place of the caps. Any hardware store will carry them. Just bring your cap to match the size and thread. I don't have pics of mine but here is a buddy's rig that did the same thing.

X3
WVFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
The weak point of the low point drains are the valves outside. I suggest you install them as the 2nd post showed inside. Then you don't need any end caps and they can't freeze on you without water being trapped in them. I got caught in a freeze and had a major leak at the 90 degree on mine. Now I don't have to worry about them freezing anymore.
Good idea. I have the 1/4 turn valves installed outside but with a full under belly I can't get them out of the freeze. Any ideas how I can get around the underbelly?

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #11

If you can see where it comes out of, look for it inside . If you cut it inside and put in a valve, then you can leave off the cap and let the tube hang empty. Where you cut the tube, put in a valve.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
Good idea. I have the 1/4 turn valves installed outside but with a full under belly I can't get them out of the freeze. Any ideas how I can get around the underbelly?
Lloydg, I installed mine right before the 90 degree elbow that drops them through the underbelly. I guess it would be determined where yours are located. Mine are at the water pump location. But really anyplace will work that you can reach....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #13
Left Coast

Cut an access door
Old 12-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #14

Pex Shut Off Valves

Our Sunseeker 2500TS had one pex valve near the water pump, but the other line had a cap underneath behind the mudflap. I added the second valve in proximity to the other one as pictured and eliminated the cap . Not sure what the logic was in the build.

There is a wide variety of pex products at most of your larger building supply stores. I got these from Menards. I would suggest buying the pex products locally and I would suggest buying metal valves and fittings.

I purchased a pex crimping tool on line for my home modifications and can use it on the RV. Or, some people use hose clamps. If you decide to buy a crimping tool, go to:

Pex Cinch Clamp Fastening tool - Pex Crimping Tool - Amazon.com
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post

Unfortunately many RV's (mine included) do not have direct access directly above or even anywhere near where the low point drains exit the RV so there would be no way to do it on the inside.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #16
Left Coast

Where do yours exit?
Old 12-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #17
John513

These are what I use. They work well and small body valve.
http://www.zoro.com/zurn-pex-plastic...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Where do yours exit?
If you mean me Bob, mine are up front under my bedroom. More specifically under my sub basement behind my basement wall back under my stairs.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #19
Left Coast

That's approx where mine are......box knife and Gorilla tape work very good...or, add some Pex and move the 'valves' to a more desirable location
Old 12-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
That's approx where mine are......box knife and Gorilla tape work very good...or, add some Pex and move the 'valves' to a more desirable location
Not worth 30 seconds of my time but I'm sure you're right and it could be done with some effort. I open them once a year to drain my low points before winterizing.

Tags
drain, valve