Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #1

maximum water pressure allowable

I recently purchased a 2013 Coachmen 30 RLS. Anyone know the maximum allowable water pressure? I have a 40 - 50 psi regulator that came with the trailer from the dealer. Pressure a bit low for my shower needs. Old rv unit had a 55 - 60 which was great. Not sure I can use that one but I think it would be O.K. from some of the threads I've read.*

Anyone have any Information that may help? Ideas would be greatly appreciated or a thread that gives me more definite allowable pressure.

Thanks,

Jim

jpaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #2

If you are using the simple inline regulator, those are notorious for sometimes reducing the flow rates down too low. You can buy ones made up from Watts household type regulators. They are bulkier but they work great, and would keep you in that 40-ish psi range.

But if your RV can take 55 psi like you are asking, I know there is a Valterra RV inline one for that psi.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #3

If pressure only low for shower, a lot of people change shower head to an Oxygenic which makes all the difference......I have. You can use your old regulator 55-60 also.

Search - oxygenic - Camping World
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
If pressure only low for shower, a lot of people change shower head to an Oxygenic which makes all the difference......I have. You can use your old regulator 55-60 also.

Search - oxygenic - Camping World

X2 - Oxygenic head rocks.
I have been rving for over 30 years and got one installed last year.
Never go back to the OEM head.
Want to buy my OEM shower head and hose?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaskell View Post
I recently purchased a 2013 Coachmen 30 RLS. Anyone know the maximum allowable water pressure? I have a 40 - 50 psi regulator that came with the trailer from the dealer. Pressure a bit low for my shower needs. Old rv unit had a 55 - 60 which was great. Not sure I can use that one but I think it would be O.K. from some of the threads I've read.*

Anyone have any Information that may help? Ideas would be greatly appreciated or a thread that gives me more definite allowable pressure.

Thanks,

Jim

I have asked that question to FR, They said 65 max. The fitting and pipe will hold way above that PSI. What happens at above 65 is it will blow your faucets off. The RV faucets are held in with o rings only that is the weak point. They told me if I wanted to I should change all mine out to house hold style and it would hold any pressure @ a CG. You house pressure should be higher then 65 PSI. It is probably at 90 PSI. call your Town or city and ask what is the water pressure they supply, unless you have a well and set your own.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaskell View Post

Thanks,

Jim

The first thing I'd do is either connect the potable water hose directly to the city water bib without the pressure regulator installed and see what kind of pressure you get at the shower. Alternatively, if it's convenient, you could run your water pump (with water in the tank, of course) to see how your shower works on "internal" water pressure.
It may well be your lack of pressure at the shower is caused by manufacturing debris in the line forming a partial clog.

Once you establish that the shower works to your liking, then install a pressure regulator set for no more than 60 psi, since you were happy with that pressure before.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #7

From personal experience I find the toilet will not hold back pressure much above 40 psi. It leaks and eventually will fill the black tank if pressure is not regulated.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtation View Post
From personal experience I find the toilet will not hold back pressure much above 40 psi. It leaks and eventually will fill the black tank if pressure is not regulated.
I would think you need to check your water valve on the toilet.
It way have a weak spring and not seating well if you have a slow leak there.
Checking and replacement isn't a big deal.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You house pressure should be higher then 65 PSI. It is probably at 90 PSI. call your Town or city and ask what is the water pressure they supply, unless you have a well and set your own.
I would love to have 65psi. I am closer to 50psi and that is after installation of the new district water tank. I would hate to be the people at the top of the hill with booster pumps.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #10

water pressure

Thanks to all that replied. Sounds like I will be O.K. with my old regulator. I will look into the oxygenic shower head, however. Sounds like a lot of folks find this thing "the way to go". Camping world has an Internet special on these for $25.00.

Thanks again to everyone, releives the worries about a 60 psi regulator.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to everyone..

jim
jpaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #11

We installed an oxygenics shower head a couple of months ago and wow what a difference. I also install a regulator with a higher flow rate but the shower head was the key to more water feel from the shower head. All of the faucets flowed good before and after the water regulator. The shower head is pricey but worth it. I only run 50 psi on my unit. Shower head about fifty bucks.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #12

Our Sunseeker often has pressure near 150 psig and I have had no problems. When the water system is closed and the water heats up, the water expands and the water heater relief valve drips. Pressure relief valves are rated to open at the set pressure but will normally begin to leak at about 95% of the rated set point.

One problem that I have is that I can't open the toilet valve when the system is under high pressure. I have to first crack the sink faucet to relieve the pressure.

Once I could not remove the water filter canister while dewinterizing the coach. I had flushed and filled it the previous day. I don't remember why I didn't install the filter then, but I forgot that the water heater was turned on and when I tried to take the water filter canister off it had built up so much pressure that I couldn't turn the canister.

I try to keep an air pocket in the water heater that's supposed to allow enough expansion, but it seems to fairly quickly go away.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, water