Old 08-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #21
Just as confused as you

I am going with 5picker's suggestion. Flex Seal Tape has been tried on several different repair projects and it has always failed in time. Clean the area with mineral spirits, fill the crack with a good sealer made for the material the tank is made from and apply a generous sized patch of Eternabond, roll it down with a steel seam roller.

Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itswett View Post
Thanks for the tips! I tried to find someone local who could plastic weld the crack but I think I'd have to drop the tank for access. If I do drop the tank I'll probably replace it.
If you can access the tank crack enough to drill the holes to stop it from splitting further they should be able to get in there enough to plastic weld it... Just my two cents.

007matman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #23

Black tank

Like the other post it is HDPE which is a thermoplastic, you can use a soldering iron or gun with a plastic tip, and a piece of the material and simply weld or melt it closed first then build up over that with the same material. We fix gas tanks this way on a regular basis.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
If you can access the tank crack enough to drill the holes to stop it from splitting further they should be able to get in there enough to plastic weld it... Just my two cents.

I second the holes. Standard practice for cracked plastic is to drill a small hole at each end of the crack to stop it from spreading further. Then plastic weld if you can't do that, seal with your choice of sealer, eternabond, etc.

The holes don't need to be large. If it's just a crack not spread apart, even an 1/8" hole should do.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #25

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
This tank is not ABS. It is HDPE. I don't expect └BS solvent to do anything useful. I'd go with Eternsbond
OP said "black tank" If it is black it is probably ABS. Grey and fresh water tanks are usually Polyethylene and opaque. There are some new products on the market that claim to repair Polyethylene and HDPE areas. Haven't tried.

Had a leak on previous camper black tank 1,000 miles from home at the drain outlet. I scuffed it up and applied JB Weld. It held until I sold it 5 years later.

OP you make have not extended your repair far enough beyond the leak and stressing the tank by filling may have extended beyond you original repair and leak.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky310 View Post
JB weld for plastic works well too
I have even used to steel epoxy

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
Old 08-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #27
Carknocker Family

I would use eternabond. We bought a new dishwasher, didn't notice that heater element had a bent bracket and was too close to plastic bottom. Melted a hole in pan and started leaking. I installed eternabond on both sides 5 years ago and hasn't leaked a bit. Under water and high heat.

My suggestion, for what it worth
Ida Ratherbe Camping is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #28

black tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
OP said "black tank" If it is black it is probably ABS. Grey and fresh water tanks are usually Polyethylene and opaque. There are some new products on the market that claim to repair Polyethylene and HDPE areas. Haven't tried.

Had a leak on previous camper black tank 1,000 miles from home at the drain outlet. I scuffed it up and applied JB Weld. It held until I sold it 5 years later.

OP you make have not extended your repair far enough beyond the leak and stressing the tank by filling may have extended beyond you original repair and leak.
When the original poster said "black tank" I think he was referencing the tank that receives the contents from the toilet and not the actual color of the tank although "black tanks" may actually be black???
Old 08-13-2019, 05:22 PM   #29
Scoundrel

I fixed a leak under my shower basin with Eternabond tape 3 years ago. Still no leaks.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown View Post
When the original poster said "black tank" I think he was referencing the tank that receives the contents from the toilet and not the actual color of the tank although "black tanks" may actually be black???
My understanding is the same as yours. Black being his black water or sewer. I have had 2 campers. Black water were both black and fresh water and gray being opaque and I know both my sewer tanks were ABS.

I have repaired several "black tanks", one being the fuel tank on my mower. Successful on all with JB Weld Steel Epoxy.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS

Tags
black, black tank, crack, tank