Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #1

Need help finding flange

Hi everybody,

Longtime reader-first time poster. A hose flange for the fresh water tank broke. I bought a replacment that is apparently polyethelyne but it will not adhere to the tank even with epoxy. I've been to two local RV supply stores , Home Depot and online and nobody has an ABS replacement. The tank is black so I assume it is ABS. I find it hard to believe that this is not a readily available part. Does anyone know where I can get one? Attached is a picture of the part-it's the greenish part. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0372.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	97696  
boochingai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Find someone local who does plastic welding. I thought those were spun on but could be wrong.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #3

I think they are spun welded. Makes no sense to mate two unlike materials together. So much easier to use ABS on ABS. I'll try and google "plastic welder". Thanks for your quick reply.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
There is a proper glue to do that....it's available at HD...read the glue cans
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #5

I used Loctite epoxy for plastic and it failed miserably. But your response prompted me to look at Loctite's website again and I found a glue that will bond polyethylene and other hard to bond plastics. So that might work. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
Site Team

It's odd that the fresh water tank is black. They're usually translucent.

If it's black it's most likely ABS, but could be HDPE.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
It's odd that the fresh water tank is black. They're usually translucent.

If it's black it's most likely ABS, but could be HDPE.
Agree 100% must be a Replacement Tank,F/R uses White/translucent tanks that have Spun welded or cast areas for their fitting's! Don't Drink Black Tank Water! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #8

I have never found a glue or epoxy that will bond any density of polyethylene to ABS. You might get something to hold for awhile, it will eventually fail.

You need to find out if the tank is Poly or ABS. Try a little ABS pipe cement somewhere on the tank. If it starts to melt the tank ,its ABS. Just because its black means nothing.

Valterra makes ABS fresh water tanks that are black. The logic is algae can not grow in them due to no light being able to penetrate the tank. The bungs however are cast into the tank and then tapped.
Fresh Water Tanks Archives - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

When you start talking buying plastic welders or spin fitting collets, you're already in new tank price territory if you play your cards right.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #9

If you can plug the hole down at the bottom, go down from the top. Had that done with a holding tank pick up on a boat I had. Easier all around and if it 'springs' a leak, way less mess.
Good luck.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #10
CDR USN Ret

Tank Repair

From pic, looks like flat piece of tank wall is still attached to fitting collar.
So,
Determine what type of material tank is.
See if local RV shop has about a 3x3 scrap piece you can have.
Drill hole in center of 3x3 large enough for fitting to project through into tank.
Use appropriate glue to bond remnant of tank that is still attached to screw-in fitting onto the 3x3.
Use same glue then to bond 3x3 to tank with
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:24 PM   #11

Go to an automotive paint store and purchase a bumper repair kit. The repair medium is for ABS plastic. Make sure you fit everything first as the medium will set very fast. It is a two part mixture that mixes as it comes out.
There is an ABS glue at HOME DEPOT for black ABS pipe.
Phil M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #12

Another option might be a bulkhead fitting. They are made in all sizes.
gunpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #13

The link to Valterra showed some ABS fittings that I think will work. Valterra does make ABS tanks-my tank has no stamp on it except the drain gate valve. It does say Valterra. I tried the ABS glue test but it doesn't seem the tank softened at all-unless I didn't leave it on long enough. I'm going to order a couple of those ABS flanges from Valterra-they're 2 bucks each and adhere with ABS glue. If that doesn't work I'll keep trying something else. Don't want to order a new tank. Thanks for sharing-wealth of knowledge out there...
Old 01-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #14
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
While back, OC repaired something like this with a soldering iron...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #15

You are trying it the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by boochingai View Post
Hi everybody,

Longtime reader-first time poster. A hose flange for the fresh water tank broke. I bought a replacement that is apparently polyethylene but it will not adhere to the tank even with epoxy. I've been to two local RV supply stores , Home Depot and online and nobody has an ABS replacement. The tank is black so I assume it is ABS. I find it hard to believe that this is not a readily available part. Does anyone know where I can get one? Attached is a picture of the part-it's the greenish part. Thanks
If in fact you have a factory type part you are very correct it will not just "glue on" as that how the factory does it.
On most all factory tanks for all the fittings they are (spun welded) meaning the fitting is spun on to heat both the tank and fitting until the melt themselves together, so you are right there is going to be a very hard way for you to do this the way you are trying it.

There are tank repair kits out there that use strips of the plastic used in the tanks and them you just heat (weld) the parts back together, they are mainly used to fix broken tanks, but can be used for fixing the fitting in the same tank. So you need to look for those repair kits, most likely place is going back to your dealer or a marine parts counter to get the strips so you can weld this back in.

Good luck hope this helps and Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote