Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
GJP

Exclamation Need some help reattaching water filter to system

In my haste to winterize my travel trailer, i disconnected some hoses to and from the water filter/supply. I can get the water pump to pump water through, but the city water supply I somehow attached in a circle. I have it connected to the water filter twice some how. Could someone send me an illustration/ picture of the correct hose connections? I have a flagstaff 831 dbss, the water pump and filter are right next to each other in a little covey. Any help will be great, i dont want to bring it in to our local forest river dealer. He's a friend of mine and I wont live it down.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Well, I could start by saying:

1) Never buy from or sell a car to a friend. The first time something goes wrong; no matter how good the deal, you will lose your friend.
2) Never buy from or sell a house to a friend. They will always think you ripped them off.
3) Never borrow money from a friend. As soon as the money hits your hand you have lost a friend.
4) Never use a friend as your Realtor, Doctor, or Lawyer. You need to be able to fire them without a backward glance.
5) Never buy from or sell an RV etc...

Now, the plumbing. The line from the outside water service goes through a check valve in the fitting before it goes inside the camper. You did "winterize" that check valve by blowing it out or filling it with anti-freeze, right?

Then the hose (in my camper) goes to a "T" fitting. One leg of the T fitting goes to the output of the 12 VDC water pump the other goes directly to the input of the filter housing. The output of the filter housing goes to the cold water pipes of the camper.

Now my connections are crimped on and it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to remove the filter assembly without cutting the PEX tubing.

"i disconnected some hoses to and from the water filter/supply. I can get the water pump to pump water through, but the city water supply I somehow attached in a circle. I have it connected to the water filter twice some how. "

Has me baffled truly. How do you know it is in a circle?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJP View Post
In my haste to winterize my travel trailer, i disconnected some hoses to and from the water filter/supply. I can get the water pump to pump water through, but the city water supply I somehow attached in a circle. I have it connected to the water filter twice some how. Could someone send me an illustration/ picture of the correct hose connections? I have a flagstaff 831 dbss, the water pump and filter are right next to each other in a little covey. Any help will be great, i dont want to bring it in to our local forest river dealer. He's a friend of mine and I wont live it down.
Have a look at http://www.marxrv.com/plumbing/blkdia1.gif. NOTE: This diagram does not show the water filter but it would be located after the Tee in the blue line from the city water inlet and the water pump. Also does not show the winterizing bypass - this would be located in a new line drawn between the red and blue lines right adjacent to the water heater. In my "hard copy" of this diagram, I have simply drawn these items in.

....VTX-AL
Old 05-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #4

I'd actually done a similar workaround for my trailer last fall as well. I disconnected and removed the water filter and using 1 of the 2 brass fittings from the water filter reconnected the existing plumbing so I could circulate the antifreeze. Returning mine should be just as easy to reverse. Reconnect both brass fittings with thread sealant tape to the water filter and then reconnect both plumbing ends to the brass fittings again with thread sealant tape.

I must admit I didn't notice a great increase in water pressure with the filter removed so that should calm any thoughts I had about removing the filter from the system .
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Have a look at http://www.marxrv.com/plumbing/blkdia1.gif. NOTE: This diagram does not show the water filter but it would be located after the Tee in the blue line from the city water inlet and the water pump. Also does not show the winterizing bypass - this would be located in a new line drawn between the red and blue lines right adjacent to the water heater. In my "hard copy" of this diagram, I have simply drawn these items in.

....VTX-AL
VTX-AL, Cool diagram, I am printing one out for future use if ever needed.