Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #1

Need winterizing advice

I will be leaving my RV at the campground tomorrow morning. Forecast for the next three nights is right at 30 degrees, but just for a few hours...rebounding into the 40s during the days.
I am disconnecting the water hose, draining the low points. I don't have a compressor, so won't blow out pipes.
Will this suffice, or do I need to blow out the lines?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #2

I think u will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #3

If you can empty the water heater do it because it is exposed to the outside. A small dc air compressor is a good cheap thing to carry or a jump pack with air compressor in case of emergencies.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
WFD

You will be fine...I don't think you need to drain the water heater, granted one side of it is exposed but it is insulated and sits inside the trailer. We have been out with ours in temps getting down to 27-28 and had no issues. Wise to disconnect your freshwater supply...
Thing to remember is that when you are risk of frost for a short time like that, then temp normally only hits that frost point shortly before sunrise and only stays there a cpl hrs.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #5

I have the same issue but we will have freeze warning for 12 to 14 hours on 2 to 3 differant nights. I will disconnect the fresh water and drain low point. We get power from a generator so connecting a small heater is not an option. I will disconnect the fresh water line. Not sure if this is a good ideal so i'll put it out there. i was thinking about pouring a gallon or 2 of rv anti freeze in the fresh water tank (turn on by pasess) run the pump till the anti freeze comes out the lines. When i return re-connect the fresh water supply and run it to purge the lines of the anti freeze. We dont drink or cook with the water we only use bottled water for that.
When i leave the next weeked repeatsteps. Flush the fresh tank with bleach before i use it ater i pull it off the proprty in about 3 weeks.

At home my tt is connect to power and i have a small heater running in the tt to keep it above freezing.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #6

Prothos, I would not put anti freeze in my fresh water tank. Depending on the drain height to the tank you may never get it all out. Just drain your FW tank drain your low points, and hot water heater and let it go, you should still be okay. Put some pink in gray and black and pee traps. If it gets above 32 each day you will not have a problem that I can see.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize