Old 07-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #1

New 2013 Puma 28DSBS bad sewer smell after 1st use

Hi there, we are new here, we bought a new puma travel trailer a couple weeks ago. We have owned a camper before so I didn't think we are complete idiots. Well we took out our camper for a week at the lake, noticed toward the end of the trip the bathroom was starting to smell funky. We emptied our tanks at the end of the trip, ran water thru and flushed again, added tank deodorant like we've always done and headed home. Oh my Lord our bathroom smells so bad, like sewer smell... HELP!!!!! What could this be?? It doesn't smell when we push the foot pedal to flush and it holds water in the toilet, we keep smelling around the walls and floor and seems to smell between toilet and shower area and its so strong, noticed the shower is draining slowly too. What should we do, our old reliable camper never gave us any issues at all so we don't know where to start???? It is making us so mad to ave a band new camper that stinks!! Thanks!

Cindy and Jon Rose
2013 Puma 28DSBS

Old 07-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #2

Back to the dealer......

2012 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W
2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 4X4 Quad
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfskinner View Post
Back to the dealer......
Wow dfskinner! That's horrible! I wonder what is causing that! Please let us know!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #4

Took it back to the dealer today, they looked it over and said they couldn't find anything wrong, asked did a child pee on the floor or walls or something! Really??? I am so angry with them, I left the camper and said they have until the 30th to figure it out, I didn't buy a brand new camper for it to smell like a porta potty. That's not okay. So anyway we will see...
Old 07-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by buncharoses View Post
Took it back to the dealer today, they looked it over and said they couldn't find anything wrong, asked did a child pee on the floor or walls or something! Really??? I am so angry with them, I left the camper and said they have until the 30th to figure it out, I didn't buy a brand new camper for it to smell like a porta potty. That's not okay. So anyway we will see...
You can be more proactive. If you can find the source, they will fix it. A couple of tips If the bowl is Thetford, they have a clever overflow vent in case the bowl fills and dump is closed. A small covered tube on the left side of the bowl will allow overflow to go to the tank. The overflow is fitted with a "P" trap just inside the bowl. If it is allowed to go dry the gases from the tank are free to drift up and fill the toilet space. If its Dometic, there is a gasket between the uppoer and lower bowl halves that if is not placed properly will allow sewage in the outer section with nowhere to go. And lastly the tank itself. If there is a bad flange joint at the floor or vent entering the tank, either will allow vapors to enter below and above the floor. A good way to test for that is to carefully fill the tank to the exit of the bowl level, watching for leaks outside and inside as you fill. SLOWLY when nearing the top. One of these will yield water leaks, gas leaks will follow the same path. Back to the Thetford p trap, you can easily fill it by filling the bowl carefully. Once a year should be plenty, cause it will evap out.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the info, it's a dometic toilet.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #7

Well to follow up, toilet is being replaced, it was bad.