Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #1

New CC 38EL 5th Wheel Ice Maker; Whirlpool

We purchased a CC 2017 5th wheel with residential fridge and ice maker. Was blowing out and winterizing. Got to the same low point drain behind rear wheel. Was very surprised to find the (been looking for it) ice maker shut off tee'd off the low point drain. The ice maker nylon line goes along the slide out also exposed to outside temps.
Was wondering how this set up wouldn't freeze if you used the trailer in freezing weather. Everything else is enclosed and heated. I'm going to leave the ice maker valved off. This should only allow air to this point. Not that we would use the ice maker. We always used bagged ice before even though we had a ice maker in old trailer.
Not a very good design in my opinion
karpcbk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #2

Hmm. We've been looking for this valve, too. We'll probably never use the water disp/ice maker while camping but it'll be nice to know where the shut off is located.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:31 AM   #3

karpcbk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpcbk15 View Post
We purchased a CC 2017 5th wheel with residential fridge and ice maker. Was blowing out and winterizing. Got to the same low point drain behind rear wheel. Was very surprised to find the (been looking for it) ice maker shut off tee'd off the low point drain. The ice maker nylon line goes along the slide out also exposed to outside temps.
Was wondering how this set up wouldn't freeze if you used the trailer in freezing weather. Everything else is enclosed and heated. I'm going to leave the ice maker valved off. This should only allow air to this point. Not that we would use the ice maker. We always used bagged ice before even though we had a ice maker in old trailer.
Not a very good design in my opinion
Since you haven't used the ice maker, have you done anything to winterize it?
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:22 AM   #5

We have a 2016 34RL Cedar Creek with the residential refrigerator and ice maker. We never used the ice maker we have bought ice or brought from home. We Purchased the trailer new in 2015 and the trailer has spent one winter in storage, (-20F). When I winterized the camper last year I just blow out the lines to the shut off valve and used the pink stuff in the lines. I have never open the refrigerator shut off valve, just left it closed. This year I have never opened the ice maker water line and never will, everything works fine, we just buy or bring ice from home.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the info I will have to find it, And yes we do use the icemaker. I also think it is the same line that is used for the refrigerated H20.
grouchmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #7

My last res ref the line froze and water was all over the floor.so I disconnected it .it will freeze .we don't use the ice maker
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #8
wls

what I'm going to do is, shut the valve off and disconnect the line, hopefully it will drain any water out. I will also run the icemaker a few cycles to get the water out of the solenoid.
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2
400 watt Rich solar on top,200 watts of suitcase
wls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel