Old 07-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
New tank requirements

New to camping and have a new Sabre 5th wheel, do I need to do anything with the grey or black tanks before using them?
I have read about using Calgon water softener in the tanks, should I do this before I use them for the first time?
When using this method do you need to use deoderizer or other additives in the tanks?
Thanks for any info.

scottsman411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
No you do not need to do anything to the black and gray holding tanks. Only thing you should do is sanitize the potable water system. when you get ready to go, add your favorite brand of tank deodorizer to the black tank via the toilet and be sure to add a couple of gallons of water before use.

donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new camper!!!

As donn said, nothing needs to be done with the black/grey water tanks. I would add some Calgon and water to the black water tanks. We also use some holding tank deodorizer to the black tank. If you put the calgon and water in before you leave, it will slosh around and coat the tank.

Again, congrats and welcome!!

Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
I installed Quickie flushes on both tanks before they were used. I thought it would be funner to do before they were smelly.
backin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
We have some orange packets of chemical for the black tank they came with a start up kit but we never used them. We have camped now for over 100 days and have never used any deoderizer or chemical in the tanks and we don't have any smells. However we dump all the tanks every two to four days and the black gets flushed each time. So far so good.
Nigel & Bev
Brit Driver & Canadian Naviguesser

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote