Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2014, 02:32 AM   #1

Newbie needs advice on a couple issues PLEASE!!!

Okay, first off please excuse my ignorance as this is all new stuff to me! I have two unrelated issues that I need advice on. I have a 2008 FR Wildwood BHBS.

1. I had to replace the water heater element and I figured while I had it taken out I would use my Camco water heater flush wand to clean the sediment out. So I sprayed into the water heater element hole and I think just about every drop of water ended up under my sink and all over inside of camper. Why is this? Doesn't the water element go into the same sealed tank that the drain plug drains?

2. I was emptying my black tank and I have a Camco flushing device that you hook the hose up to and it flushes out the black tank. I am hooked up to city water and permanent sewer. So I begin flushing the black tank and leave it run for a bit and all of a sudden I hear water dripping down my camper from the roof. The water backed up in the sewer drain causing it to back up my sewer vent tube...then it came out of the sewer vent tube and started leaking in my bathroom around the plastic frame of my fan. It was a mess!!! Any idea how or why it was able to get into my fan frame? I don't see any other damage and I do t noticeand wet spots, but all this just happened a couple hours ago. Just wondering what the hell!!!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer!
kicker0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:50 AM   #2

When you fill your h w tank does it leak at all?
Sounds like it is cracked.

2015-26days, 2014-32days,
2013-33days, 2012-30days
brownie289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:25 AM   #3
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker0927 View Post
Doesn't the water element go into the same sealed tank that the drain plug drains?
Yes, it does. You have a leak somewhere on the backside of the HWT.

Quote:
So I begin flushing the black tank and leave it run for a bit and all of a sudden I hear water dripping down my camper from the roof.
You let it run for a bit - how long was that? Best practices suggest to never employ a tank flush apparatus (built in or portable) while the gate valve for that tank is closed. If you've dumped the poo and are flushing the tank, many of us employ the close-open-close-open technique to rid the tanks of excess buildup. However, that's a process that has to be closely monitored and never leave the valve closed more than a minute or so with the flush doing its thing. As for the ummm, effluent getting into your fan frame: Vent in close proximity to the fan? Was the fan cover open? Have you checked the caulk around the fan?

Hope you get this sorted out so that you can...

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #4

Yes, the hot water tank is full and functioning fine with no leaks detected. To answer the second question. I will have to check the seal around the fan, the fan itself was closed. The tank flush was left running for about 10min with the black valve open.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #5

When you flush out the water heater, make sure you have the by-pass valves in the "winterizing" positions (in other words, the water heater is "by-passed"). That will do two things: Prevent the water that you are spraying in from getting into the system (and, presumably, out the faucet, if you have left it open) and prevent any flushed-out lime from getting into your water lines. After flushing, re-set the by-pass valves to "summer" positions and re-fill the hot water heater.

As for the second issue, always have the black tank gate valve open when flushing out the black tank. Doesn't take much pressure in there to force water up the vent tube and out onto your roof.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
When you flush out the water heater, make sure you have the by-pass valves in the "winterizing" positions (in other words, the water heater is "by-passed"). That will do two things: Prevent the water that you are spraying in from getting into the system (and, presumably, out the faucet, if you have left it open) and prevent any flushed-out lime from getting into your water lines. After flushing, re-set the by-pass valves to "summer" positions and re-fill the hot water heater.

As for the second issue, always have the black tank gate valve open when flushing out the black tank. Doesn't take much pressure in there to force water up the vent tube and out onto your roof.
Mike, you beat me too it! Spot on for both issues.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Mike, you beat me too it! Spot on for both issues.
Good morning, Lou. Thanks!

How's Laura doing? Are you to going to be able to make it to Goshen? I need my sign-hanging buddy!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Good morning, Lou. Thanks!

How's Laura doing? Are you to going to be able to make it to Goshen? I need my sign-hanging buddy!
So far so good. Although she is fighting a cold right now, we are in "go" mode. Just PM'ed Bob for final contact info to have her supplies delivered.
Lou
Old 06-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #9

Quote:

Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure either solution fits the problems, because the issue with the water heater flush was that the water, from spraying inside the water heater element hole, somehow got outside of the unit and build up under the cabinetry. There are no leaks...my water heater is full and functioning fine right now with no leaks. The second issue of the black tank flush involves a Camco flushing mechanism that attaches outside of the camper and sprays into the black tank, therefore to flush the black tank the black tank gate valve has to be open for the water to go up into the black tank...
Old 06-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure either solution fits the problems, because the issue with the water heater flush was that the water, from spraying inside the water heater element hole, somehow got outside of the unit and build up under the cabinetry. There are no leaks...my water heater is full and functioning fine right now with no leaks. The second issue of the black tank flush involves a Camco flushing mechanism that attaches outside of the camper and sprays into the black tank, therefore to flush the black tank the black tank gate valve has to be open for the water to go up into the black tank...
1) check for sealant between the water heater body and the outside door wall fixture. If they never sealed the gap between the door fitting and the heater, water can enter the camper.
(see photo - in one the sealant is white; the other is black)

2) So, the black tank flush system you are using attaches to the dump cap (see photo)? Or is it mounted on the wall - like a screw fitting for a hose?

If it is mounted on the wall, you must physically open the black tank shutoff because the wall type goes directly into the tank from a fitting in the wall of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4089.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	54734   Click image for larger version

Name:	0001471740126_500X500.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	54735   Click image for larger version

Name:	9C6CB856-58D9-4620-A084-A10D34724C64-871-000000D79F231DEA.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	54736   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0508 (2).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	54738   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1368.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	54739  

Attached Images

Old 06-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #11

Is the OP referring to the anode, or an electric heating element. He said element but I believe Herk is showing him the anode. I don't believe the actual element is in the tank where the anode is, but I could be wrong. I'm thinking if he flushed where the element goes, that explains why he's getting water inside. As for the water on the roof, I'm thinking vent not properly glued, or blown off pipe beneath the rubber membrane. May want to check that all is intact.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaydBack View Post
Is the OP referring to the anode, or an electric heating element. He said element but I believe Herk is showing him the anode. I don't believe the actual element is in the tank where the anode is, but I could be wrong. I'm thinking if he flushed where the element goes, that explains why he's getting water inside. As for the water on the roof, I'm thinking vent not properly glued, or blown off pipe beneath the rubber membrane. May want to check that all is intact.

The photos were more to demonstrate the sealant between the inner and outer parts of the water heater that sandwich the wall between them. ANY water that falls in the "tray" at the bottom will enter the camper if the sealant is bad or missing.

You can easily introduce more water into the tank using a sewer cap with a hose connection on it.

Many people think that the hose connection is for FLUSHING when it is not.
It is to hook up a drain hose for the gray tank.

If the OP used a cap like this to back flush his black tank, the only place for the water to go is up the vent stack.

A flush fitting is a CLEAR plastic sewer section so you can see the color of the sewer flush.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1368.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	54760  
Old 06-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #13

Good points, I realize you were referencing the sealant, was just pointing out to the OP that the anode is pictured. That's where I flush my tank from. The cap you show would definitely cause what he described (been there before), I just know that the factory vent wasn't glued on mine, and could possibly have been a point of entry. Somehow, I think he's figuring out what went wrong and what not to do again. The learning curve can sometimes be a bit rough, but the fun times make it worthwhile!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #14

Yes, I was using a clear flush fitting that show the contents of the tank as its flushed out. You hook a hose up to the fitting and turn the water on and it sprays into the black tank and the water runs back down into the external sewer connection pipe. When the water backed up into the vent tube, I can't figure out how it ended up dripping out from around my fan's internal frame.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Yes, I was using a clear flush fitting that show the contents of the tank as its flushed out. You hook a hose up to the fitting and turn the water on and it sprays into the black tank and the water runs back down into the external sewer connection pipe. When the water backed up into the vent tube, I can't figure out how it ended up dripping out from around my fan's internal frame.
Have you been on the roof to inspect, and see that the vent fitting is in place?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

This could easily happen if you waited too long to flush it out and have a "tower of doom" partially blocking your drain valve. Water can maybe come in faster than it can go out. Thus up the stack it went.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #17

Newbie needs advice on a couple issues PLEASE!!!

On the lime build up what is the best way to clear it out if it did get through your lines? We have the issue with our toilet right now. Slow water flow Due to the build up at the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Absnova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags