Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 01:23 AM   #1

Question Newbie Needs Help....

A few weeks ago, I purchased a 2014 Salem Cruise Lite from a private owner. I will be taking it camping this week for the first time. I am wondering how to get water into the water heater tank? If I fill the regular water tank, does it automatically flow into the hot water heater tank? I have no idea how to ensure there's water in the tank. Also, when do i flip the "pump" switch on? The manual isn't really helpful.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

First you need to make sure the water heater drain plug is in (this is accessed from the outside panel). Next you need to make sure the handles are not in bypass position. Next either hook to city water or if you plant to use your fresh water tank instead then fill your fresh water tank. The water pump is only needed when you are looking to run water off the fresh water pump instead of being hooked to city water. If hooked to city water, the water pump is not ended. Turn water on and open faucets one at a time til pink antifreeze is out (if trailer was winterized). If not winterized then not necessary to hit every tap. I usually do try to pull any air through the line though. Now go back out to where you checked your drain plug and you should see a little release switch. This is your overflow valve. Flip that, if water comes out the hot water tank is full, if not then no water in hot water tank. If no water, go back and check bypass valves, one is likely not correct. Once you are sure there is water in the water heater you can turn the hot water heater on. Turning that on with no water in there can burn out the hot water heater anode.

Hope this helps some.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
Chief tinkerer

Very thorough asquared! I was seeing that in my minds eye while reading. (although in my version I stopped and took a sip of hot coffee)
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #4

Smile Thank you!!!

Hey asquared....I sent a private thank you, but I'm not sure if you got it! I followed your advice and it worked perfectly. I so much appreciate your help.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

The hot water heater is accessed from the outside and inside.

The valves (if installed) need to be positioned depending on the valve system used. There is a 3 valve system, a two valve system, and a one valve system.

The difference is in the type of valve used and whether there is a check valve in the output of the hot water heater (upper outlet).

The way to make sure the heater is full is to open the pressure relief valve with the water pump running. Water should come out under pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4092.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	101739   Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	101740   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120905_195213.jpg
Views:	90