Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #1

Newbie question about leaky shower pan

Hello,
I just bought a 2004 Forest River Salem 37ft trailer. I come home from work every day and chase down problems. The latest problem is leakage underneath the rv. After a little trouble shooting I found out that the leak becomes a flood when taking a shower whether I'm using city water or the pump. I brought a 5 gallon bucket of water in the shower with me, and moved around the pan. That's when we noticed the flood. My question is, is there an access panel on that particular model RV? If there is, I can't find it and I don't want to start cutting the underbelly if I don't have to. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice.
Shamrock14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Not sure about your model and an access panel, however it very easy to cut a flap in the coroplast and reseal it with foil tape. Make the cut in a U shape with the uncut part facing forward. Do that directly under the shower drain for access. Use a short razor knife to do the cut. Let the forum know what you find and fix.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #3

Thanks SeaDog, I will try that after work tonight. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
Site Team

A photo of the shower floor would help. Is your shower floor at floor level or is it raised up a few inches. Most raised shower floors have a small access panel.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #5

Ours has an access panel on the front of the shower near the floor. We totally missed it until we'd read the forum.

When we took off the panel, a friend discovered that where we thought it was leaking ( near the drain ) was totally wrong. There is a 90 degree elbow toward the back which apparently had never been connected. Took a lot of contortion to reach that connection.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:05 AM   #6

I found an access panel on the other side of the shower in the bedroom. First of all, are you kidding me, you have to be built like a jockey and have contortionist skills to just get into these spaces. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw that the top half of the 90 after the P trap was just gone. Completely blown off. I'll be focusing on this on Saturday when I will attempt to locate the spot underneath and try cutting into the underbelly. There is just no way possible to do what I need to do from the top through that tiny panel access. I will post pics tomorrow after work. Thanks everyone for your responses. They are much appreciated.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #7

Maybe find someone small...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock14 View Post
I found an access panel on the other side of the shower in the bedroom. First of all, are you kidding me, you have to be built like a jockey and have contortionist skills to just get into these spaces. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw that the top half of the 90 after the P trap was just gone. Completely blown off. I'll be focusing on this on Saturday when I will attempt to locate the spot underneath and try cutting into the underbelly. There is just no way possible to do what I need to do from the top through that tiny panel access. I will post pics tomorrow after work. Thanks everyone for your responses. They are much appreciated.
Maybe find someone small who could do it?

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #8

I actually was able to configure my body into an L and use single handle hacksaw blade to cut the abs. It is absolutely amazing what rats will eat. ABS mmmm- yummy! I’m off to try to find the elbow, not sure if they’re going to stock a 1-1/2” to 2” elbow\P-trap.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #9

ABS fittings at Amazon? Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock14 View Post
I actually was able to configure my body into an L and use single handle hacksaw blade to cut the abs. It is absolutely amazing what rats will eat. ABS mmmm- yummy! I’m off to try to find the elbow, not sure if they’re going to stock a 1-1/2” to 2” elbow\P-trap.
Surprisingly, Amazon has healthy array of ABS fittings--impossible to find at local suppliers these days. When we needed to replace some at a remote campground, we ordered on Amazon Prime and got delivery at the campground 2 days later.

Maybe this and this. Not exactly sure which size goes where.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, newbie, show, shower