Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Newbie Question On Fresh Water Hose

I just purchased a 2006 Surveyor SV264 and it's my first RV. I didn't come with any startup supplies except for the waste water hose which I'm thinking I will replace and the 30 amp electrical cord but my question is which size hose should I purchase, the 1/2" or 5/8" diameter or does it matter. Also what is the minimum length I should get so I can use it at any of the camp grounds that have the full service camp sites? Are the fittings I've seen advertised at the RV sites which come as either 45 or 90 degrees and are labeled as hose savers useful in keeping the hose from kinking?

Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Site Team
Either size hose would work but I would opt for the 5/8". The minimum length can vary. I do carry a second hose in case I need a longer hose. Replies to this question may vary because it comes down to how far the water supply is away from the trailer. I have yet to need a second hose but for some members it's the opposite.

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Two short hoses, that can be coupled together if needed, will save coiling and uncoiling a single long hose. Use of the fittings will place less stress on the city water inlet by keeping the hose closer to the side of the trailer. I like the 90 best.
Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
The other thing you need is a pressure regulator to attach to the campground faucet before your hose. This keeps the pressure from bursting pipes in your RV. There are many different ones, some adjustable, some with gauges. Do not buy the cheapest one. They don't work well. One marked "high flow " rather than "standard ". See Camping World's website for several options. You can also find them at many Walmarts.

Typically your want to keep pressure around 40 psi or less.
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
RvBill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
I'd get 2 short 5/8" hoses. That way you're sure you'll have enough hose just in case. Good point on the water pressure regulator mentioned above. You might want to get an inline water filter too, blue torpedo type from Walmart is what we use. FYI we hook ours up like this: campground water spigot -> pressure regulator -> filter -> water hose -> 90 degree elbow -> camper. The reason I recommend the blue torpedo water filter is in case you're at a campground without water hookups at your site you can still use the water filter on the campgrounds fresh potable water hose when filling your onboard water tank.
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Thanks everyone for the great responses. I will definitely pick up the water filter and 90 degree hose saver to go along with the two 5/8" hoses. Thanks again!
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou
The PEX plumbing inside your camper has an inside diameter of 1/2 inch.

Garden hose is measured by ID or inside diameter.
So a 5/8 inch ID hose has an outside diameter of 3/4 inch and a 1/2 inch hose has an OD of 5/8 inch. There is no advantage to buying a 5/8 inch ID hose if your camper has 1/2 inch ID plumbing. I tried 3/8 inch coiled water hose and while there was no taste (IMO) imparted by the coiled hose, the volume loss was unacceptable to me and I went back to the white hose (pressure was fine just low flow).

IMO - 2 25 foot lengths of 1/2 inch potable water (usually white) hose will most likely be all you need.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Might i suggest some various hose mending supplies as insurance....
2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Most of our camping is at state and national campgrounds and we have to fill up on our way in. I get 5/8" because it will fill up faster. I also carry various lengths because sometimes we are close to a faucet and I can just stretch my hose and fill up the tank eliminating jugs. Currently I have 1-50' and 1-25' but there have been a few instances when I wish I had longer. So at the end of the day it all depends on your camping style. If you are only at full service sites then I would get 2-25' 1/2" diameter hoses. I've never had the need for the elbows even when at a full service site.

On edit, sorry I just saw Herk's post and didn't realize when I typed this that he recommended the same length and size.
2013 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
2011 Ram 2500HD Hemi
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Originally Posted by Stingingfork View Post
Thanks everyone for the great responses. I will definitely pick up the water filter and 90 degree hose saver to go along with the two 5/8" hoses. Thanks again!
pressure regulator, PRESSURE REGULATOR - don't forget the PRESSURE REGULATOR !!!!!.....Bill

Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote