Old 12-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #1

Newbie water pump question

Hello,

I'm trying to winterize my new travel trailer for the first time. Tanks are drained, water heater is drained and bypassed. Now I thought I was ready to add RV anti freeze.

My problem is when I turn on the water pump, it doesn't suck up the antifreeze. I turn off the pump after 30 seconds fearing I would burn out the pump. Is this correct or should I let the pump run for a few minutes to get rid of air in the lines and them it will suck up the anti freeze?

Disclaimer...I am not using a dealership provided hose to suck up the antifreeze. I went to Home Depot and rigged together some quick connect fittings.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Chris

Old 12-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #2

How about posting a picture of the rig you made? That will tell the story.

Bruce

Old 12-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #3

So I bypassed the PVC rigging from Home Depot. I put the flexible tubing into the water pump and secured with electrical tape. Now it's pressurized and pumping anti freeze. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #4

There should be a valve that needs to be turned to suck it up from that hose
Old 12-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #5

Almost all units have a plastic valve to open and close so the hose that goes into the antifreeze bottle will pressurize and flow. Conversely it must be closed to not pump the on board water overboard. This valve is almost always located right next to the pump.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
There should be a valve that needs to be turned to suck it up from that hose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc8mdtmech View Post
Almost all units have a plastic valve to open and close so the hose that goes into the antifreeze bottle will pressurize and flow. Conversely it must be closed to not pump the on board water overboard. This valve is almost always located right next to the pump.
It sounds to me from his disclaimer in the very first post, the OP did not have this option (not all units do) so he simply made a PVC antifreeze suction line out of parts he gathered at Home Depot that he fastened to his pump and it did not work.

He later indicates he taped a flexible hose to the water pump inlet and got it to suck antifreeze. Probably not the most correct way to go about it but it got the job done.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #7

No pump pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8Bogez View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to winterize my new travel trailer for the first time. Tanks are drained, water heater is drained and bypassed. Now I thought I was ready to add RV anti freeze.

My problem is when I turn on the water pump, it doesn't suck up the antifreeze. I turn off the pump after 30 seconds fearing I would burn out the pump. Is this correct or should I let the pump run for a few minutes to get rid of air in the lines and them it will suck up the anti freeze?

Disclaimer...I am not using a dealership provided hose to suck up the antifreeze. I went to Home Depot and rigged together some quick connect fittings.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Chris
As stated above you need to post a picture so anyone trying to help can post something that could possible help.

As for just going to HD and trying to rig something up, that is fine as long as the parts used work" but it seems with you be a newbie might have bit you, you may have been better just going to the dealer and getting a bypass kit and this way it will work correct for the rv you own.

Hope someone helps you out and Happy Camping

silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, pump, water, water pump