Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 07:10 AM   #1

Newest Problem with our new Surveyor

We just came back from our 6th trip with our 2017 Surveyor. The last few times we camped we had full hook-up. This time we only had electric hookup. After filling with water and getting camp set up we discovered our pump would come on but no water would come out anywhere...it always worked in the past when we didn't have full hookup. Finally my husband was able to get it to work by priming it. After it was working we would hear the pump come on randomly once in a while so knew somewhere there was a leak. We always shut the pump off at night or when we go away and in the mornings when we'd turn it on the pump would run for a bit before shutting off even though we hadn't used any water yet.
So yesterday while unloading the camper I noticed the bathroom rug was wet. Looked around and saw a puddle of water coming out along the seam next to the shower. Somewhere behind that wall we have a very wet area. No idea how to get in there to see where the leak is. ZERO confidence in our dealer to fix it so any help or hints would be appreciated before we need to go that route.
Luv2camp64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #2

It's likely under the tub then. Only way to get in there and really work on anything on most units is to remove the tub.

Is there an air vent or duct in there that you can remove? Maybe on the other side of the wall too. You might be able to at least see it then.

My other concern here is that if it was in the tub it would've likely been leaking on city water too..
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #3

There is a small vent there. Will try to get a look there, but afraid the whole shower unit would need to be removed and looks as though it's all one solid unit that is caulked to the wall. If it turns out that big a deal we will have to return it to the dealer so it can be listed as another issue for our warranty paperwork. Hate to even think of the job the servicemen would do trying to take all of that apart and the job they would do putting it back together for us :-(
Old 08-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
Site Team

It is strange that it leaks with the water pump on, but not when connected to city water. If your outside shower is in the same area, make sure it is turned off with the faucets and not just the sprayed shut off.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #5

Yeah.. I know. If it's like mine the surround is separate from the tub but you need to remove it to get the tub out. Some screws, plastic pop rivets, and caulking is all that needs to be removed to get in there.

I guess for me it would depend on how much I trusted my dealer. I'm out of warranty now so I wouldn't even consider taking it there.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #6

It may have been leaking while connected to city water and we just weren't aware of it as it seems to be coming from under the flooring. I had a rug there and when I picked it up to bring in to wash I noticed part of it was damp and when I looked further saw they little puddle of water seeping along the wall.
Do not trust our dealer at all as they didn't do anything for us the 2 times we returned it (although they said they did). That's why we're hoping it's something to do ourselves. We do have an outdoor shower...will check that.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2camp64 View Post
It may have been leaking while connected to city water and we just weren't aware of it as it seems to be coming from under the flooring. I had a rug there and when I picked it up to bring in to wash I noticed part of it was damp and when I looked further saw they little puddle of water seeping along the wall.
Do not trust our dealer at all as they didn't do anything for us the 2 times we returned it (although they said they did). That's why we're hoping it's something to do ourselves. We do have an outdoor shower...will check that.

Not sure I caught it, but for WARRANTY, we called our factory customer service/warranty guy who reports that while the factory takes on some of the bigger warranty issues, they prefer to let dealers handle it. Since our dealer is not conveniently close (the factory is) I was able to coax the name of a local repair only shop that is factory authorized. While I have some issues with some of their craftsmanship, scheduling was no problem and their mission is to get it done and get it out so they have room for the next case. It never sat there more than a day or two awaiting parts or factory approval.

Good luck. Oh and check that darn toilet foot valve. Ours has come loose and started leaking twice. Its origin was not immediately evident. Water travels and source can be deceptive.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #8

Also, what is on the other side of the wall. Is the pump located within a few feet of the tub. If so see if you can get eyes on the pump and piping to and from it. Also look at the tub valve, sometimes they are mounted to a plate screwed to the wall and caulked down so you could remove it and check the piping and valve there for leaks. The first SOB we bought had several loose water connections at valves. An easy fix but big panic for DW and myself when the first small river showed up.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor