Old 04-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

Newie question: How do I tell when the fresh water tank is full

I understand the control panel has a full indicator which would require a two person job to fill the tanks. One to handle the water valve and another to watch the full tank indicator. Are there other ways to fill? I tried it by myself and before I saw the full indicator the tank must have filled and water was pouring out an overflow outlet (I'm assuming this is the case). Is this acceptable? Is anything at risk?

Thanks!

Bill

125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
Lacey's Spring, AL

sure, that's what the overfills are for. Fill it up!

formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #3

IF you are talking about filling the "fresh water holding tank": To my knowledge all fresh water holding tanks have an "over fill outlet" which is what you describe as "overflow outlet". It is normal for this outlet to have water coming out of it when the fresh water tank has reached capacity. What few times I have filled my fresh water tank I just stick the hose into the fill inlet of the tank and let it run until water starts coming out of the overflow hose. Perfectly acceptable and no harm done
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125992 View Post
I understand the control panel has a full indicator which would require a two person job to fill the tanks. One to handle the water valve and another to watch the full tank indicator. Are there other ways to fill? I tried it by myself and before I saw the full indicator the tank must have filled and water was pouring out an overflow outlet (I'm assuming this is the case). Is this acceptable? Is anything at risk?

Thanks!

Bill
I put the hose in turn it on and walk away and do other things. When I see water coming out the overflow I know it's full
Old 05-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As mentioned, most all of us fill the fresh water tank by watching for water to come out the overflow hose and not by watching the indicator lights. (which are incredibly inaccurate)

My only CAUTION of filling the fresh water tank by watching for water to come out the overflow tube, is to fill the tank slowly. Often times the overflow hose is not of the same size/capacity as the method used to fill the tank. With sufficient pressure/flow, you can run the risk of filling the tank too quickly and ballooning the tank, causing damage to the tank, the brackets holding the tank and/or even bulging the floor upwards in the R/V. Because of this, I would caution against the "stick the hose in and walk away method."

One other word of caution... some overflow hoses are plumbed without a sufficient way of keeping the overflow of water from siphoning the tank empty. We've had more than one report here where the fresh tank was filled until water came out the overflow and by the time they got to camp, it was empty. You'll need to be sure once a gallon or two comes out the overflow (when filling) that it then stops running out.

Once you've filled the tank a time or two watching for these things, you'll be an old pro at it.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #6

I have a 2018 Salem Hemisphere 272RL. I was told by the dealer to use the monitor when filling the fresh water tank, which I did but I was by myself. As soon as the monitor said full, I walked around and shut the water off. Didn't see any problems, until I lowered the tongue jack to hook up the camper. As soon as I lowered the tongue, a lot of water came pouring out from multiple areas of the belly pan. I have called the dealer to find out what is going on and still waiting for a call back. Now my old camper had a weep hole next to the fill that let you know when it's full. This camper doesn't, and I don't know if there is a overflow on top of the water tank that let all this water into the belly pan and there is no over flow tube that I know of. Any answers would be helpful.
Thanks
Xplorer3
Xplorer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #7

beware of the "siphon" effect. some units once the over flow starts pouring it continues to draw tank down. I had to install a shut of cap on mine. once tank is full and water is off I cap the over flow to stop the out flow and affect stop the siphon.

Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank