Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #1

Water Heater Problems

I have a 2005 highwall 256. The hot water heater is a suburban propane only heater. I have a switch inside with a red light that indicates its a reset. I am confused as to it's use. It lite up once on a camping trip but hasnt lit since. I turned the switch on but had to push the external reset button in my heater on the outside of my camper for my burner to light. There was water in the tank but no hot water. Please help, at my wits end. New to this popup and am still trying to figure things out.

On another note, under my kitchenette sink I noticed two valves which I turned and it drained all my water out? Can someone tell me what these are for? Also where is the bypass for the water tank located?

Thank you

I turned the water and propane on, water tank full, flipped the inside switch, it ticked, propane flame lit on tank, turned on water, air out, still no hot water. I have a 2005 hw 256, with a direct vent, propane only, sw6d suburban water heater. Hope this helps my previous post, my husband helped me with this one. Also when the switch is flipped it works but doesn't lite up.
Thank you
Noel209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

IMO.

When you tried to light the water heater without water in the tank; the high limit switch reacted by opening. That is why you needed to reset it.

The red light inside the camper is only "ON" when the burner is trying to light.

After 3 tries with no ignition, the control board will stop trying and will not try again until power is completely removed. Turn off the switch in the camper (or pull the fuse to the water heater) and wait about a minute and try lighting it again.

The tank must be full of water to do this. Open the pressure relief valve (outside the camper) and make sure water comes out.

USE CAUTION - It could be HOT.

The two valves you mentioned are most likely "low point" drains for draining all the water out when you winterize your camper.

The bypass valve configuration can vary wildly from NO bypass used to a one, two, or three valve bypass system.

A photo of the BACK of your water heater (may be behind a panel in a cabinet) directly opposite where the outside metal cover is located would be helpful.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #3

Thank you, we will try again with your help. I'll let you know if it worked.....
Old 05-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
IMO.

When you tried to light the water heater without water in the tank; the high limit switch reacted by opening. That is why you needed to reset it.

The red light inside the camper is only "ON" when the burner is trying to light.

After 3 tries with no ignition, the control board will stop trying and will not try again until power is completely removed. Turn off the switch in the camper (or pull the fuse to the water heater) and wait about a minute and try lighting it again.

The tank must be full of water to do this. Open the pressure relief valve (outside the camper) and make sure water comes out.

USE CAUTION - It could be HOT.

The two valves you mentioned are most likely "low point" drains for draining all the water out when you winterize your camper.

The bypass valve configuration can vary wildly from NO bypass used to a one, two, or three valve bypass system.

A photo of the BACK of your water heater (may be behind a panel in a cabinet) directly opposite where the outside metal cover is located would be helpful.

It seems to me that issues with RV WH's are a big part of this forum.

Would it be possible to invite a representative from Suburban to post/host a thread explaining the operation, maintenance and trouble shooting of the Suburban WH? I say Suburban because that seems to be the brand that is installed in most RV's posted here.

Just a thought.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #5

Will the burner shut off automatically once the water is heated. When do I shut the switch off inside or should I leave it on?
Thanks
Old 05-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel209 View Post
Will the burner shut off automatically once the water is heated. When do I shut the switch off inside or should I leave it on?
Thanks
once the propane lights, the switch turns itself off. it will relight when the water in the WH gets below a certain temp, just like your home WH.

we turn ours off when we leave or overnight. otherwise it stays one because it doesn't use that much propane.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad