Old 11-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #1

No hot water after 10 day absence

Returned to the RV after 10 days away. Turned off water at campsite faucet b4 leaving. Turned it back on at 8pm last night, it's Noon now and still no hot water. Never have run it on LP, only electric. Suggestions please.

DHSDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

2 or 3 things could have happened. 1. A hw faucet could have been left dripping and drained the wh which if empty will burn the electric element out. 2. High temp thermostat tripped and needs reseting (outside rubber buttons inside wh panel) 3. WH breaker tripped inside.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSDawg View Post
Returned to the RV after 10 days away. Turned off water at campsite faucet b4 leaving. Turned it back on at 8pm last night, it's Noon now and still no hot water. Never have run it on LP, only electric. Suggestions please.

I don't see how since you didn't mention any water leaks but, if the water leaked out of the water heater and you didn't turn off the water heater electric, the heating element may have burnt out.

- Did you check the "water heater" breaker in your power center?
- If it's a Suburban water heater, is the outside switch still on and good (they have a tendency to go bad)?
- Does it work on propane?
- There is a black rubber oval cover on the water heater with 2 round indentations. These are reset switches. One for the 110v side & 1 for the 12v side. See if one of them has tripped (push in on it).

As long as the water heater was full, I would ALMOST rule out the burnt out element but, it's still an outside possibility. Start with the breakers & switch(s) then circuit board.

Good luck & keep us informed.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #4

No hot water after 10 day absence

Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #5

Breaker is ok. Water is heating up on propane. Ours is an Atwood 10 gallon model. Don't see a reset button. Looks like a 2 amp fuse on the circuit board. Could that have blown and not the breaker?
Old 11-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
Not completely understanding if you are asking for troubleshooting or instructions on how to light your hot water tank using LP.

Assuming it’s lighting instructions, just turn your propane on...switch the mode from electric to gas on your hot water panel and your trailer will my trailer “auto-light” your hot water tank.
Hi, we have switched it to propane and it works. Have only run on electric prior to this. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #7

Maybe it's just me but I would not go away for 10 days and leave anything on !!!
Wolverine 1945 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #8

We were going to have nights below 32° while we were gone so we only disconnected the water and left the furnace on 55°. If we can figure out how to remove the element, we'll replace it and hope that is the problem. We don't have reset buttons on our unit. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSDawg View Post
We were going to have nights below 32° while we were gone so we only disconnected the water and left the furnace on 55°. If we can figure out how to remove the element, we'll replace it and hope that is the problem. We don't have reset buttons on our unit. Thanks.
I think on most W/H replacing the ele element is a pretty simple job ???
You could search that here and I am sure you can find all the info you need !!!
Maybe even try Utube ???
Wolverine 1945 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #10

Thanks for the info. ps - love all of your movies. 😊

Tags
hot water, water