Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #1

No HW at taps for 2012 high wall pop-up

I am having an issue with hot water. 2012 HW popup. Water in tank is hot. But, cannot get hot water to any sink or shower. All valves behind heater are open. Opening valve on water heater proves water is hot. Any ideas as to why the hot water is not leaving the heater and going to the faucets?? This is my 2nd trip, and did not have this issue on first trip. Wondering if I am doing something wrong. Thanks in advance.
JeremyKinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKinder View Post
I am having an issue with hot water. 2012 HW popup. Water in tank is hot. But, cannot get hot water to any sink or shower. All valves behind heater are open. Opening valve on water heater proves water is hot. Any ideas as to why the hot water is not leaving the heater and going to the faucets?? This is my 2nd trip, and did not have this issue on first trip. Wondering if I am doing something wrong. Thanks in advance.
If you have a bypass kit and that is open, you're introducing cold water into the stream of water. The bypass valve should be "closed" for normal use.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Do they look like this?

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1394465462628.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	47473  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If you have a bypass kit and that is open, you're introducing cold water into the stream of water. The bypass valve should be "closed" for normal use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Do they look like this?

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
As ependydad and Turbs pointed out, your bypass valve needs to be closed. If you have the valve type as shown in Turbo''s pic, it is closed when the valve handle is turned to the position it intersects (crosses) the pipe itself. It is open when it runs perpendicular with the pipe.

Turbos pic shows the valves at the top outlet (hot/red) and bottom inlet (cold/blue) open (perpendicular to the pipe) but the middle bypass valve (red/blue) closed (intersecting the pipe). This is how yours should be if you have the 3 valve system. Even though all the valves are all pointing the same way, the bypass pipe is running vertically, thus the valve is actually pointed different from the two horizontal pipes. The bypass valve needs to be closed.

Another way that cold water can be mixing with hot water, is if you have the outdoor or indoor shower taps turned on at the faucets, but have the handheld shower wand itself turned off (there is a button on the side of the wand). This is something a lot of people forget about, and turn the water off with the wand, but forget to turn the actual taps themselves off.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #5

My valves look like this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	47476  
Old 03-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #6

I didn't mention, but I'm not getting ANY water from hot side. Open faucet and nothing. On any of the faucets.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #7

Close the bypass valve between the hot and cold.

Frozen line?
08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Always Learning

Yep, your bypass valve is open. This allows cold water to mix when hot water is demanded from a tap resulting in cold water to the taps.

See this picture identifying it - you need to turn the one circled so that it is "closed".

Name:	Water Heater Valves.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	47477
Old 03-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Yep, your bypass valve is open. This allows cold water to mix when hot water is demanded from a tap resulting in cold water to the taps.

See this picture identifying it - you need to turn the one circled so that it is "closed".

Attachment 47477

X2 what he said, made same mistake 1st time I de-winterized.
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
My valves look like this.
X3, the bypass valve (the one that connects the half cold/blue pipe and half hot/red pipe) is open. You need to turn the handle so it crosses (intersects) that pipe...just like in the pic Turbo posted.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
I didn't mention, but I'm not getting ANY water from hot side. Open faucet and nothing. On any of the faucets.
Hmmm

Old 03-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Hmmm

Agreed. That is super strange. Frozen line seems plausible, but even that- you'd think there would be a leak or water would come out *somewhere*. I don't even know what to suggest.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
Site Team

Since the pic shows his bypass valve open, he should be getting at least cold water to the hot water taps.

It makes me wonder if there is a kinked line somewhere now. Is there anyway you can trace the hot water line (the red line that hooks to the white line) that is at the top of the hot water heater towards any of the taps to see if it is kinked somewhere, possibly a drawer shut up on it or similar.

Maybe a check valve?
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #14

Ok. Valve closed, but still NO water when hot is turned on.... ???
Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Ok. Valve closed, but still NO water when hot is turned on.... ???
Jeremy is there anyway you can possibly trace the line I pointed out in the pic to see if it is kinked.

I kind of assumed something but I guess I need to make sure completely. Are you hooked up to city water, or using a pump/onboard tank?

As Doug pointed out, is there any chance of the hot water lines being frozen where you are currently at?

Also, do you have cold water to the cold side of the faucets?

Old 03-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #16

Cold water, yes. Hooked up to city water with good pressure. I'll trace the line and see if it's kinked somewhere. The hose coming out of the tank is not warm with the hot water, so I think a kink might be a possibility.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #17

And in AZ, so no on the freeze.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #18
Site Team

OK, another thing to check is the cold water line coming into the bottom of the water heater. If this line is kinked/blocked, then there is no pressure to push the hot water out of the heater into the hot water lines to the taps.

Common sense states if this line is blocked there shouldn't be any water being fed into the heater at all, but the water currently in the heater may be still in the heater from when the lines weren't blocked before.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #19
Site Team

do you have an outside shower? if so, check that.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #20

I have a 2009 HW27SC, purchased used. When I got it practiaclly none of the faucets worked. I took them apart and found mineral deposits had blocked the valves. I cleaned them out and now working fine. Yours is newer and may not have this type of problem. Hope it helps you or someone else with a water problem.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote