Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2017, 08:30 AM   #1

No Water Flow Through Black Tank Flush

I have used the black tank flush many times on our unit in the past four years. My last trip, I drained the black and grey tanks, as usual, and hooked the hose up to the black flush. When I turned the hydrant on, it was as if a valve was closed -- zero flow. The first thing I checked was the in-line water screen, which was clean. There was 62 psi water pressure, so no problem there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #2

Next thing in line is the "Backflow valve" check it! Youroo!!
Old 11-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #3

Where is the backflow valve?
Old 11-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #4

Between the fitting on the Outside Wall and the Black tank! It is usually located above the wall entrance point,inside a Base cabinet or inside a wall near the shower! Youroo!!
Old 11-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #5

I've checked around the pump/house filtration area and the area in the closet access to the shower valve. Does anyone know where the backflow preventer (check valve) is on a Forester/Sunseeker 3051/3050 is?
Old 11-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #6

The first thing I would do is to apply air pressure to the fitting going into the black water valve. A couple of blasts should clear the spray nozzles inside the tank should clear the debris that has clogged the nozzles. Worked for me and many others. Happy Trails
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

What was the time frame between usages on the flush? Has it been over six months? It is easier to start with air pressure. If you have ruled out the backflow preventer you could fill the black tank, add a heavy concentrate of tissue dissolver and let it soak for a week or so. Then try the air/water flush. Once you have established a small flow the trick would be to let it run for hours. Just monitor the black tank level as always.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #8

Mine got stuck on my 2nd or 3rd trip out, would not let any water through at all. I just stuck the hose down the toilet to flush for that trip. When I got home I shot some WD/40 into the hose connection let it sit for a while, shot some more WD in there, let it sit some more. Hooked up my hose with the water pressure regulator attached, and it worked again. Was happy I didn't have to take anything apart. Haven't had any more trouble since then, it has been a little over a year. I am not impressed with the black tank flush system in the first place. Sure I use it and run it for a long time, then I use one of those Camco wands. I bought the cheap one first and was surprised at how much more "stuff" came out. That made me think that maybe I would get the better one they make that has the flexible hose with the spinner sprinkler thing on the end. Bottom line is I think the least expensive one works better. So I drain the black tank, use the black tank flush while watching what comes out, then the wands. Got off track there, but WD-40 worked to get mine functional again.
Jack Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
What was the time frame between usages on the flush? Has it been over six months? It is easier to start with air pressure. If you have ruled out the backflow preventer you could fill the black tank, add a heavy concentrate of tissue dissolver and let it soak for a week or so. Then try the air/water flush. Once you have established a small flow the trick would be to let it run for hours. Just monitor the black tank level as always.
I back flush frequently, so it's been nowhere near six months. I have yet to find the backflow preventer valve.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Larson View Post
Mine got stuck on my 2nd or 3rd trip out, would not let any water through at all. I just stuck the hose down the toilet to flush for that trip. When I got home I shot some WD/40 into the hose connection let it sit for a while, shot some more WD in there, let it sit some more. Hooked up my hose with the water pressure regulator attached, and it worked again. Was happy I didn't have to take anything apart. Haven't had any more trouble since then, it has been a little over a year. I am not impressed with the black tank flush system in the first place. Sure I use it and run it for a long time, then I use one of those Camco wands. I bought the cheap one first and was surprised at how much more "stuff" came out. That made me think that maybe I would get the better one they make that has the flexible hose with the spinner sprinkler thing on the end. Bottom line is I think the least expensive one works better. So I drain the black tank, use the black tank flush while watching what comes out, then the wands. Got off track there, but WD-40 worked to get mine functional again.
Thank you. Going to give that a try!
Old 11-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #11

Still unable to get water to enter the backflush system.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #12
Kanadian Kamper

I’m guessing no one is answering that owns the same rig as yours to locate exactly where your back flow preventer is.

On my motorhome, it’s located under the bathroom sink/tap, and is clear plastic....located at the highest point under the counter.

Have you looked up underneath your bathroom counter with a good light?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I’m guessing no one is answering that owns the same rig as yours to locate exactly where your back flow preventer is.

On my motorhome, it’s located under the bathroom sink/tap, and is clear plastic....located at the highest point under the counter.

Have you looked up underneath your bathroom counter with a good light?
Our shower and toilet are on the passenger side, as is the black tank flush hose location. The sink is across on the driver's side; however, I'll take a look. Can you tell me if it's a manual reset to open it up?
Old 11-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #14

On my last trailer, the backflow prevention valve was just inside the wall where the black tank flusher was installed. It was not easy to get to and required removal of the converter (fuse panel).
Old 11-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sometimes they hide them in 'not easy to get to' places.
This is what you are looking for.
Sometimes they are even plumbed backwards from the factory and nothing goes through them.
Often times the inexpensive plastic ones give problems.

They make good brass ones but I've never seen any from the factory with them.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #16

I never had a 2014 Forester 3051S, but I have had “black tank check valve/vacuum breaker problem. First one: 2008 Cardinal I found it in the wall between the kitchen and the bathroom closet (first picture). Second one: 2015 Big Country was in the shower wall with the shower valve. Third one: 2017 Cedar Creek Hathaway is in the vanity (second picture). All three the valve was located above the toilet seat by approximately 12-15 inches.
Good luck in finding yours
bajamike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #17

Connection at tank

If you can get to the connector at the blank tank, disconnect it and run water through the flush system. If water freely comes out all is well up to that point. Mine clogged twice this summer. Had some "junk" sitting at the connector. Cleaned that out and took some wire and just poked into the tank at the flusher "Can't really see mine so it was all done blind" Fixed it twice. Seems to happen when going down road with a fairly full tank. The key thing is by disconnecting at the tank you check all the lines and back flows. Good luck.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank, water, water flow