Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #1

No water from any Hot Water Faucet

We recently purchased a 2017 Sierra with two full baths (381RBOK). We have been set up and living in our RV for almost a month now and just this week we have began to have hot water issues. Originally our RV cane with a 10 gallon HWH but we had a Girard instant HWH installed. Up to this week everything has been running fine. My daughters' shower first lost there hot water the a few days later the entire camper has no water from any hot water faucet. I can flip the bypass valve and get cold water at the hot water faucets. Any idea if there may be a check valve in that line somewhere that might be bad?
Waynebruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #2

Are you running it on electric or LP? Maybe the breaker tripped?
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
woodyrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #3

Ok I might have figured out your problem. If the water gets to hot it will trip the heater. There is a reset button on the unit outside. It is located mid way up the unit and to the left. It is not labeled but lightly push the white button in on it and you might be good to go..
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
Old 05-12-2018, 11:24 PM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3742.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	171693
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
Old 05-12-2018, 11:48 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

What is the model number for your Girard on-demand water heater?
Girard Tankless water heaters are LP gas only, they need LP, 12vdc and water to operate.
Check the easiest things first.
Does the LP tank(s) have gas in them?
Do you have a fuse blown?
Have you checked the ECO/High Limit switch? - I'm not certain about on-demand water heaters but I believe they still have a way to keep the water from getting too hot.
Some models may have a LED that flash giving an error code.

Since you said that first one shower stopped having hot water then the rest of the RV followed, my guess would be the control board has a loose wire or gave up the ghost. Sometimes they start working sporadically before going completely dead.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:06 AM   #6

from the op's first post I think he is saying he has no water flow at the faucet. Not no hot water. I could be wrong.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
from the op's first post I think he is saying he has no water flow at the faucet. Not no hot water. I could be wrong.
Cavie, you may be correct.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
Old 05-13-2018, 01:18 AM   #8
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynebruner View Post
We recently purchased a 2017 Sierra with two full baths (381RBOK). We have been set up and living in our RV for almost a month now and just this week we have began to have hot water issues. Originally our RV cane with a 10 gallon HWH but we had a Girard instant HWH installed. Up to this week everything has been running fine. My daughters' shower first lost there hot water the a few days later the entire camper has no water from any hot water faucet. I can flip the bypass valve and get cold water at the hot water faucets. Any idea if there may be a check valve in that line somewhere that might be bad?
I highlighted in red what the OP says about one shower not getting hot water, then a couple of days later the other faucets failed to get hot water.

Then I highlighted in blue OP says if he turns the bypass valve and he gets cold water at the hot water faucets.

This tells me that it is not a problem with the plumbing but possibly the wh not firing up to provide hot water. I'm not sure but there could possibly be a check valve at the water heater. If this is the case all faucets will fail getting hot water at the same time. Maybe the water heater has a blockage.

The best thing OP could do is contact the installer for help as he had the original tank type water heater replaced with the Girard.

If the OP would supply the model number of the Girard Tankless water heater then maybe we could help him find the problem. I looked online for troubleshooting guides and it seems that there are different ones for the different models. As I said in my earlier post, some models have a LED or some other way for a error code to be displayed.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:02 AM   #9

I am curious but I still think it just needs to be reset.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
Old 05-13-2018, 06:25 AM   #10

Our Cardinal just did this two weeks ago. There should be a anti siphon valve at the outlet from the water heater. Its spring loaded and the valve get gunked up with sediment. Mine was the only brass in a plastic line. I pulled it removed the valve and went on our way. we be replacing it this weekend now that were home
'01 Exiss 300MT Weekender

A wife and two dogs, isn't that enough?
rclogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. The model number on the WH is 2GWHAM. Also, I wanted to clarify that we have no water at the hot faucets. Cavey, you are correct. The only way to get any water to the hot water faucets is to turn the HWH bypass valve.

I beleive the HWH is LP only except the 12v switch wire to ignite the pilot when needed.

I guess I will pull the HWH out this morning and see if I can locate the anti syphon valve that RCLOGG spoke of.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. The model number on the WH is 2GWHAM. Also, I wanted to clarify that we have no water at the hot faucets. Cavey, you are correct. The only way to get any water to the hot water faucets is to turn the HWH bypass valve.

I beleive the HWH is LP only except the 12v switch wire to ignite the pilot when needed.

I guess I will pull the HWH out this morning and see if I can locate the anti syphon valve that RCLOGG spoke of.
just found this on Utube
'01 Exiss 300MT Weekender

A wife and two dogs, isn't that enough?
rclogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:19 AM   #13

Quote:

Thank you. I'm glad that in my senior years I can still understand the English language as it is written. Now, if we could only get people to call a pig a pig. I personally have never owned a hot water heater. I've never seen the need to heat hot water. Plan old water heater works for me.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #14

Oink oink
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
Old 05-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #15

Got it Fixed

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I pulled the water heater out last night and the is no check valve but I did find a small strainer in the inlet (cold water) side. After pulling it out I noticed that there was a lot of build up. I checked the main water filter and found that the factory didn't install the filter in the filter canister. The 'extra' that I found in the kitchen, apparently wasn't an extra.

The second bathroom still has very low flow. When I get home this afternoon I plan to pull out their shower faucet and see if there might be a small strainer at the inlet to the faucet as well.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I pulled the water heater out last night and the is no check valve but I did find a small strainer in the inlet (cold water) side. After pulling it out I noticed that there was a lot of build up. I checked the main water filter and found that the factory didn't install the filter in the filter canister. The 'extra' that I found in the kitchen, apparently wasn't an extra.

The second bathroom still has very low flow. When I get home this afternoon I plan to pull out their shower faucet and see if there might be a small strainer at the inlet to the faucet as well.
I'm glad you found the cause of the problem, living without hot water is no laughing matter.
To the factory's defense, they don't install the filter element because, at least in this part of the world, all units are being shipped winterized and the plumbing antifreeze would mess up the filter.
Since the strainer on the Girard was filled with crud, I suggest you inspect all taps, clean the aerators and flush the whole system, don't forget the strainer on the water pump inlet. However, the dealer should have installed the filter as part of the PDI.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:54 AM   #17

Glad you found the cause to your problem. Happy camping and safe travels.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights

Tags
faucet, hot water, water