Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #1

No water pressure on hot water side??

I have tried it with the city water and with the freshwater tank using the water pump and still no pressure on the hot water side for some reason. Any suggestions? My water heater only has two valves and they are both open. I have followed the lines throughout the entire coach and I don't see any other valves anywhere. Water that comes out of the hot water side is hot but it is at a trickle.
jerwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #2

do you have pressure at the tank itself? You can check this by carefully opening the relief valve. If you don't then change the valve position on the incoming line. If you have pressure then change the valve position on the outgoing line
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
do you have pressure at the tank itself? You can check this by carefully opening the relief valve. If you don't then change the valve position on the incoming line. If you have pressure then change the valve position on the outgoing line

I do have pressure. Changing the valve position on the outgoing line? I assume you are talking about the red pex line coming out of the hot water heater? I can try that. The strange thing is that after letting it build up pressure for a few minutes I am getting some hot water out of the hot water side of the sinks But after about 30 to 45 seconds it goes back down to a trickle.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #4

Are you sure that your water heater is full water and not full of air?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 05-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Are you sure that your water heater is full water and not full of air?

No. Not sure. When I turn on straight hot water it comes out strong and is hot for a minute but then goes back down to a trickle.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #6

OK I think you need to start at square one. shut off the water heater let things cool and then make sure your heater is full by opening the relief and ensuring the tank is full. then recheck the position of your valves it seems to me you are not getting water back into the tank so the inlet valve must be position wrong. double check everything good luck let us know what you find
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 05-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #7

Quote:
OK I think you need to start at square one. shut off the water heater let things cool and then make sure your heater is full by opening the relief and ensuring the tank is full. then recheck the position of your valves it seems to me you are not getting water back into the tank so the inlet valve must be position wrong. double check everything good luck let us know what you find
Agree with the above,
DON"T have it hooked up to city water.
Turn your pump on, and open the hot water side in your kitchen sink and let it blow air till you get a good stream.
If you don't get that good stream, you have a valve in the wrong place.
Which is probably the problem.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #8

Thanks! I actually did all of that. Tank was full, bypass spit out water. Did the water pump thing using fresh water tank but pump was cycling non stop. Here's a pic of the water heater. 2 valves. I tried turning the valves the opposite of what they are and that didn't work either. Wouldn't the constant cycling water pump with no leaks but still getting some water in the water heater tank mean there is a partial blockage somewhere between where the cold water line enters the tank and where it T's off to the sinks?
Old 05-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #9

Thanks! I actually did all of that. Tank was full, bypass spit out water. Did the water pump thing using fresh water tank but pump was cycling non stop. Here's a pic of the water heater. 2 valves. I tried turning the valves the opposite of what they are and that didn't work either. Wouldn't the constant cycling water pump with no leaks but still getting some water in the water heater tank mean there is a partial blockage somewhere between where the cold water line enters the tank and where it T's off to the sinks?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5286.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	138453
Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #10

If they are both pointed towards the tank then things are pointed the right way I would think...

Seems like maybe a leak somewhere in the hot water line. Maybe check the outdoor shower to see if the head is off but valves are open?
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #11

I believe you've got something clogging it up somewhere. When you have all faucets shut off, pressure will come up to full pressure everywhere in the system (let's say 45 psig) because the water will trickle through the clog until it pressurizes the downstream side of the clog to 45 psig, then flow will stop. When you open the hot water faucet, you get hot water at 45 psig, but that pressure quickly drops because the clog is causing a pressure drop at the clog, and then you just get whatever flow the clog will allow.

If all of your hot water faucets are doing the same thing, I'd say you have something clogging your HWH hot water outlet valve, since it's common to all the faucets. If only one hot water faucet is doing it, then that faucet has something in it.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Is this only one faucet or all of them?

Draining your hot water tank through the low point drains will suck pieces of anode and calcium chips into the pipes and then blow them into water outlets in the camper. Always close the inlet and outlet valves on the tank and drain it through the outside drain plug.

DO shut off the water heater and LET THE WATER COOL DOWN; then open the high pressure relief valve until cold water comes out steady. If there is air in the tank it will hiss till it sputters; then run steady. Reset the relief valve.

If the water pressure out of the relief valve is not strong; you may have a clogged your cold water (lower) 3 way valve. If it is strong you have unwittingly clogged up the upper 3 way valve or the debris screens at the hot water faucets. Also check that you have not clogged your toilet flush valve (like I did a long time ago).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120905_195213.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	138459   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-water-heater-draining.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	138460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Bidet 022.jpg
Views:	73