Old 08-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #31

we also use the blue Camco inline filter at the cg, have never put a filter in the on-board filter bowl and will remove it someday, too many problems with those units leaking,.... at home we aren't on a city water system, have a pump system and filter it for drinking and cooking with a Clear 2 0 filter system,..... we carry 7 1gal. plastic jugs from our home water, if we need more in the cg, I run the cg water thru the Clear 2 0 filter and we're good to go,...... but in this thread, leaking and burst pipes has been mentioned several times, and that should be a concern of any rv user,...... with plastic tubing and weak joints it can happen at any time, I've been told of two different people who returned to their rv to find water running out of all the cracks,..... if we're there when it happens we can respond accordingly and quickly, but major damage can happen if we're gone for the day or even a little while,..... it has become our practice to shut off the water supply when leaving the trailer and I find an inline 1/4 turn valve(lead free) to be the best/easiest way to do that,..... sure, sometimes we forget to open the water first thing when we return, but DW understands the reason we do this and doesn't complain at all,...... its just a little insurance to avoid a major problem, as is many things we do connected to the rv world,............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0225.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	116649  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #32
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Is that the filter media that fits the filters Forest River puts on their travel trailers? I drain the filter when I unhook so as not to let water sit in it.
The F1Pb filter fits perfectly in the WaterPur housing that FR uses. My housing is the CCI-10-CLW (not the FR1). It's a direct replacement for the WaterPur CCI-10-Ca filter. They cost $19.95 each.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/RCComboCartridge.htm

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #33

Thanks for the info
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #34

We're travelling in our 2011 Georgetown aorund 6 months a year and use both tank and bottled water for drinking. Water from any of the chain commercial campgrounds, state and national parks should be safe to drink because all of these organizations are required to submit, on a regular basis, water samples for state testing. I believe most states require all campgrounds to submit water samples for testing but I've never checked each individual state. Water may be safe to drink but there are places in the US where the available water isn't palatable. If you're in one of these places, it's doubtful that any filter will improve the water to the point where you'll want to drink it. You'll need a multi-filter reverse osmosis filter system to do that.

I use two types of filter in the internal water filter canister which is located in one of the basement compartments in my rig. A carbon block filter is used, with one exception, all the time. The exception is a high quality (?paper?) sediment filter that is used when I'm filling the tank with chlorinated city water. City water is fed directly into the fresh water fill port but water from other sources is filtered using one of the blue Camco filters before it enters the hose. This gives me double filtering of all water I use in the RV.

I also have a battery powered water mineral content tester. Water is tested before hooking up the hose and if we're somewhere where the water has a higher mineral content that the tap water you drink at home (Flint, MI excepted), I won't put it in the fresh water tank. I've occasionally used borderline mineral content water for showering and washing but, if we're doing that, drinking water comes from the bottles.

Phil
Old 08-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #35

Keep in mind... folks here are discussing two DIFFERENT types of on-board filters.

Some units come with the CCI-10-CLW which I've seen or heard of virtually no problems.
Some units come with the FR1 filter where there are pages and pages of problems.
Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when discussing the pros and cons and replacement parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cci.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	116661   Click image for larger version

Name:	fr1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	116662  
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
The F1Pb filter fits perfectly in the WaterPur housing that FR uses. My housing is the CCI-10-CLW (not the FR1). It's a direct replacement for the WaterPur CCI-10-Ca filter. They cost $19.95 each.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/RCComboCartridge.htm
+ shipping right ???
So more like $25 - $27 ???
Old 08-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #37

The CC-1 is fine unless you leave water in it in the winter,,, don't ask how I know !!!

Maybe we should do like they did back in the day in some countries where the water was not safe to drink,,, they gave there kids Beer instead !!!
LOL !!!
Old 08-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #38
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
+ shipping right ???
So more like $25 - $27 ???
Yup. It cost me US$15.96 to have them shipped to my USA pickup location at zipcode 13640. Considering my local RV dealer wants CAD$47.99 plus 13% HST for the OEM WaterPur filter, US$27.93 (delivered) is cheaper than the OEM and it's a higher quality filter. You get what you pay for.

I've worked in the municipal water supply infrastructure business for more than 25 years and I've seen what poor quality water can do. I want a high quality filter for campgrounds that supply well water. I have no idea how well that well head is protected. Even municipal systems can fail at times (Flint, MI and Walkerton, ON). I don't typically drink the water but I shower, wash my face and brush my teeth with it - all activities that could result in ingesting some of the water - so it needs to be good quality.

EDIT: If you want to go crazy you can add a reverse-osmosis system and an ultraviolet light system. I'm content with a high quality filter and I'm selective about where we camp.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #39
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Keep in mind... folks here are discussing two DIFFERENT types of on-board filters.

Some units come with the CCI-10-CLW which I've seen or heard of virtually no problems.
Some units come with the FR1 filter where there are pages and pages of problems.
Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when discussing the pros and cons and replacement parts.
X2

Old 08-15-2016, 12:32 PM   #40

Keep in mind that not all filters are created equal. Even though they may filter the same things, have the same micron rating the "flow" can be dramatically different. Cheap ones may flow at 1-2 gallons per minute while "RV" type OEM replacements can run at 3-4 gallons per minute. Big difference when taking your shower. Sometime cheapest is not always best. If the 1-2 gal/minute works for you than by all means save the money and use them.

Tags
water, water filter