Old 04-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #1

Out Side Kitchen Sink To Black Tank

howdy

While getting trailer ready for the season I started cleaning/flushing out my gray, waste, fresh water tanks.

I ran the water in the outside kitchen, trying to fill up gray tank.
But no water ever registered on the water level gauge inside on panel.

However the black water tank went to 100 % , I had just filled, flushed and drained a little, I just thought I didn’t drain enough out so I drained down to 50%

Still running sink water I went to dump gray tank and nothing came out…….im confussed.

Again the black water tank went to 100%......ah hah light bulb goes off.

Outside sink Is running into black tank, I assumed it would go into gray.

Wonder if going into black tank was by design or someone goofed and connected to black by mistake.

Where does your outside sink water go ?

Side note the sink is plastic, never paid attention to it until i placed a hot tong on it, melted edge..

pete

2018 Rockwood Sig Ultra Llite 8324BS
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
pete00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #2

Right or wrong, they always seem to take it to the nearest tank. Looking at your floor plan, given that your kitchen sink and shower are forward of your toilet, I'd say your black tank is behind your grey tank, and your outside sink is slightly behind your toilet. So I'd say by design.

https://www.campersinn.com/product/n...24bs-660766-29

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Right or wrong, they always seem to take it to the nearest tank. Looking at your floor plan, given that your kitchen sink and shower are forward of your toilet, I'd say your black tank is behind your grey tank, and your outside sink is slightly behind your toilet. So I'd say by design.

https://www.campersinn.com/product/n...24bs-660766-29

thanks for reply......makes sense in there twisted logic

2018 Rockwood Sig Ultra Llite 8324BS
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Old 04-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
thanks for reply......makes sense in there twisted logic
How do you figure that is "twisted logic"?
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #5

Agree, from a user perspective it is counter intuitive (Ie, sink drain is gray water...) however, from a build/layout perspective it is easiest to dump to the nearest tank.

My previous rig was like this (I found out the same way you did). The benefits I found are:
1)plumbing is localized to a central area. (Shorter pipe runs to winterize or keep warm while camping below freezing)

2) when connected to sewer I can drain the black tank then use the sink to fill and rinse with clean water to keep the sensors clean. While packing up, I fill/dump 3 times with water and my sensors would register empty. I did not have a black tank flush on that rig
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
howdy

While getting trailer ready for the season I started cleaning/flushing out my gray, waste, fresh water tanks.

I ran the water in the outside kitchen, trying to fill up gray tank.
But no water ever registered on the water level gauge inside on panel.

However the black water tank went to 100 % , I had just filled, flushed and drained a little, I just thought I didn’t drain enough out so I drained down to 50%

Still running sink water I went to dump gray tank and nothing came out…….im confussed.

Again the black water tank went to 100%......ah hah light bulb goes off.

Outside sink Is running into black tank, I assumed it would go into gray.

Wonder if going into black tank was by design or someone goofed and connected to black by mistake.

Where does your outside sink water go ?

Side note the sink is plastic, never paid attention to it until i placed a hot tong on it, melted edge..

pete
Pete, My outside sink is a plastic one also but it has no drain in it at all. Was you rig used and the previous owners added a drain. IM thinking about that myself for mine.
56barelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #7

I have a PUP.
Both inside and outside sinks go to the grey tank.
Draining a sink into the black tank is stupid...beyond stupid. Sink water will fill a black tank very quickly, and you have little recourse other than a dump station.

If you can reroute the drain plumbing from the outside sink to the grey tank, you'll be far better off, especially if you boondock. Without delving into the debate over grey water handling, if you are in the boonies, it's possible to dispose of grey water safely by watering trees. If you are in a more controlled camping area, you can easily tote grey water to a pit toilet or bathroom and flush it.

To make the job easier, you can make your joints with Fernco fittings.
Typical season is about 30 nights camping, usually nearby boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
I have a PUP.
Both inside and outside sinks go to the grey tank.
Draining a sink into the black tank is stupid...beyond stupid. Sink water will fill a black tank very quickly, and you have little recourse other than a dump station.

If you can reroute the drain plumbing from the outside sink to the grey tank, you'll be far better off, especially if you boondock. Without delving into the debate over grey water handling, if you are in the boonies, it's possible to dispose of grey water safely by watering trees. If you are in a more controlled camping area, you can easily tote grey water to a pit toilet or bathroom and flush it.

To make the job easier, you can make your joints with Fernco fittings.
Explain that to FR. Many Motor Homes have hand sinks piped the Black water. Hand sink water is minimal and should not cause an issue.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
Agree, from a user perspective it is counter intuitive (Ie, sink drain is gray water...) however, from a build/layout perspective it is easiest to dump to the nearest tank.

My previous rig was like this (I found out the same way you did). The benefits I found are:
1)plumbing is localized to a central area. (Shorter pipe runs to winterize or keep warm while camping below freezing)

2) when connected to sewer I can drain the black tank then use the sink to fill and rinse with clean water to keep the sensors clean. While packing up, I fill/dump 3 times with water and my sensors would register empty. I did not have a black tank flush on that rig

I may rinse out black tank as you suggested, even though I have black tank flush,. this way the boss wont yell at me for disconnecting water was while she's using it...
Old 04-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56barelm View Post
Pete, My outside sink is a plastic one also but it has no drain in it at all. Was you rig used and the previous owners added a drain. IM thinking about that myself for mine.

new trailer came with sink

Tags
black, black tank, sink, tank