Old 06-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

Outside Switch on Water Heater ??

The electric switch on the bottom left inside the compartment with the hot water tank-whats does this do??? I"m sorry if this sounds stupid , but like everything else we are learning by trail and error or through reading, video's , and through this web site. Thanks again in advance

bojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojack View Post
The electric switch on the bottom left inside the compartment with the hot water tank-whats does this do??? I"m sorry if this sounds stupid , but like everything else we are learning by trail and error or through reading, video's , and through this web site. Thanks again in advance
Bojack - if it is a "rocker" type switch and has a hole drilled though it and possibly a hairpin shaped pin in the hole, that is the switch that turns your electric heating elenent on/off.

Do a search here and you will find many posts regarding this switch. One post even has a big red arrow pointing to it.

Don't feel stupid - there have been many many posts about this switch.

B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

To make it easier, here is the AC circuit for the shore power use of the water heater and photos of the switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC diagram.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	14965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker Switch.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	14966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside picture of Water Heater.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	14967  
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Site Team

weren't you shown that and explained it, when the dealer did the PDI?
if not, just another example of a poor PDI by another dealer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There'll also be a breaker in your control panel for the electric element of the WH. I leave the outside switch in the 'on' position and control the element with the breaker inside.

You also need to ensure that you don't power on the electric element of the WH wihout water in it as you'll burn-out the element very quickly. (I've tested and proven that to be a fact!)

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
There'll also be a breaker in your control panel for the electric element of the WH. I leave the outside switch in the 'on' position and control the element with the breaker inside.
Dave

Thats exactly what I do also.

Dont know why they dont just have the electric switch beside the gas switch in the main control area. My last trailer had them side by side, one for electric and one for gas. Going outside to turn on the electric or using a breaker for a switch is not how I would have wired it.
Swinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinks View Post
Thats exactly what I do also.

Dont know why they dont just have the electric switch beside the gas switch in the main control area. My last trailer had them side by side, one for electric and one for gas. Going outside to turn on the electric or using a breaker for a switch is not how I would have wired it.
I would venture to say that one reason the switch is not located inside is that would perhaps make it too tempting to turn it on accidentally.

I also think that is why it comes new with the pin installed. It is to make people think that maybe there is a reason to check before pulling the pin.

To me it serves the same purpose as placing the red streamers on certain aircraft - to serve as a heads up.

I am sort of going with manufacturers on this one. I think that they could put an informational placard nest to the switch as a additional precaution.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #8

Mine did not have a switch inside either for the electric part. I added a switch with a pilot light so I can leave the switch on the water heater on all the time. Just a little more convenient.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Mine did not have a switch inside either for the electric part. I added a switch with a pilot light so I can leave the switch on the water heater on all the time. Just a little more convenient.
Agree ! Did the same thing, and labelled the switch "Water Heater" with a Dymo tapegun label. And, it becomes a normal part of set-up or tear-down routine to ensure that the power to the water heater is either always "off" or only "on" after shore water has been connected.

...VTX-Al

VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad