Old 07-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
SMS

Overflow issue

New member but a slightly seasoned camper. Took delivery on a 2013 36 CKTS this spring. When we fill with water the overflow runs out about an eighth of the tank before stopping. Have been told it was because of going to a pressurized system. Any solutions? We have been told to put a shut off on overflow, but for goodness sakes don't forget to open it before pumping, or tank will suck in. Talked with a fellow camper with a 2012 Sandpiper with the same problem.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Forum!

The tank is vented so it's not pressurized. The problem most likely, is the location of the overflow line in the tank. Do you have a vent line also...it's usually right beside the fill line.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
SMS

Overflow issue

I have been told that the overflow is also the vent. The person with the Sandpiper told me he was told the newer models were a pressurized system. The whole thing seems quite illogical to me.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

You should check how your vent line is run. You might need to access the tank to do that and it could involve a lot of work dropping belly coverings.

The vent/overflow is usually the same hose depending on your rig.
The overflow is located "kinda" at the top and runs up next to the fresh water gravity fill port.

Depending on the location of the hose and the angle of the camper (levelness), the vent line can "burp" water as it fills or even dump water when it is only partially filled.

As you can see from the two vent line photos a "U" in the vent line can fill with water and when pressure builds up in the tank; burp out water.

In the other photo, you can see the vent will be under water well before you have a full tank due to the angle of the tank.

Also note the location of the water pump inlet hose. If you are angled the other way you can suck air with a quarter of the tank full of unusable water.

The last photo shows the "levelness" effect on your tank level indicators. Depending on the angle of the tank, you may never get a "full" light and in fact may indicate 1/3 of a tank remaining when the pump is sucking air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 020.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	16635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water%20Tank%201.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	16636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 019.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	16637  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ahh, I have a vent but no overflow. I don't understand how the FW tank would ever be filled if there's no vent or overflow line. Where's the air in the tank suppose to go?

Dave

Old 07-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
SMS

My dealer said it is not a pressurized system. He said the problem is when I fill my fresh water tank it expands. If it is not level it then contracts and siphons out water until the contraction is complete. It will not siphon nearly as much when level. We refilled at the campground when we were level and lost approximately 5 gallons, but the gauge said we were full. I am considering putting in a stainless steel tank.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Ahh, I have a vent but no overflow. I don't understand how the FW tank would ever be filled if there's no vent or overflow line. Where's the air in the tank suppose to go?

Dave
the vent and overflow are the same hose. As you add water to the big "vacuum cleaner" type hose water runs into the tank and air escapes through the "overflow/vent" and around the incoming water in the gravity fill hose.

With the cap on the gravity fill port, water being pumped out is replaced by air drawn through the "overflow/vent" hose. The overflow/vent hose is the smaller one located at the top of the tank in the photos.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS View Post
My dealer said it is not a pressurized system. He said the problem is when I fill my fresh water tank it expands. If it is not level it then contracts and siphons out water until the contraction is complete. It will not siphon nearly as much when level. We refilled at the campground when we were level and lost approximately 5 gallons, but the gauge said we were full. I am considering putting in a stainless steel tank.
Your dealer is correct; it is not a "pressurized system." However, it CAN be pressurized both positively and negatively by how it is used (or abused).

If you stick the garden hose into the gravity fill port and turn it on full, water can enter the tank faster than the small vent hose can relieve. This will "pressurize" the tank and swell it. When you turn off the water the pressurized tank will gush water out the gravity fill to relieve the pressure.

If the vent hose has a severe U shaped loop in it (like the photo) it will stay full of water and your pump will need to work very hard to suck water out of the tank since air will need to be sucked into the tank after the water is sucked out of the hose. This will partially (very slightly but significant) collapse the tank and negatively pressurize it until the air burps back into the tank to relieve it. This can cause water pressure fluctuations when running on the pump.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
SMS

Herk7769: I believe I get the most sense out of your explanation. Now, with the 23013, there is no gravity fill. There is one port with a valve that is in either tank, or city water position. I bet this problem started when they went this way, I believe more water is going in than air is coming out. This sounds like the most logical explanation. I wonder if there is a way to vent more air?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
the vent and overflow are the same hose. As you add water to the big "vacuum cleaner" type hose water runs into the tank and air escapes through the "overflow/vent" and around the incoming water in the gravity fill hose.
I was referring to set-up where the FW tank overflow is under the camper.

Dave