Old 03-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #1

Overflowing toilet

I have, I believe, a Thetford Aqua Magic Style II toilet in my MH. I am currently stating somewhere the the water pressure fluctuates. It does not ever get high enough to need a regulator but it does get very low.
My problem is when the pressure is low the flush water does not stop. It has flooded us twice in about 10 days. If I notice it I can stop it by turning the water pump on.
I found an old thread here with much the same issue but it didn't give any help.
What I would like to know is if this is a design flaw or is the something I can do to fix this? I don't like stepping into a cold, wet floor at 4 AM.
Thanks

jk510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Whenever we camp where there's low water pressure (probably only ever happened twice maybe?) I've just filled the fresh water tank and ran off the pump instead of relying on the city water connection.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Maybe try replacing the water valve?

Permanent RV Toilets | FAQ | Thetford Corporation
Old 03-21-2018, 12:46 PM   #4

I can understand that a bad valve would leak, but I would think it would be all the time not just at low pressure.
I don't really like the idea of using the pump all the time since I am here for a month and I see that as just a band aid and not a fix.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:46 PM   #5

I would agree, fill the fresh tank, turn on the pump. The toilet valve should shut off even with low water pressure so you will want to get that repaired or replaced sometime soon or it will likely fail and not shut off at all.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Maybe try replacing the water valve?

Permanent RV Toilets | FAQ | Thetford Corporation
I'm following this because I don't know of any situation where low water pressuer would prevent a toilet to shut off I would be looking at dismanteling the fill valve, cleaning and reinstalling.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
I can understand that a bad valve would leak, but I would think it would be all the time not just at low pressure.
I don't really like the idea of using the pump all the time since I am here for a month and I see that as just a band aid and not a fix.
My thinking is that on a 5-6 year old coach, maybe it's just weak and this is the first step to it fully failing.

Interestingly enough, RV.net has a post on this exact topic:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
Old 03-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #8

The water valve at the rear of our toilet has an internal spring that has to be overcome by stepping on the flush lever in order to flow water to flush the toilet.

I can't see how low water pressure would cause it to fail to close.

Id replace the valve.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My thinking is that on a 5-6 year old coach, maybe it's just weak and this is the first step to it fully failing.

Interestingly enough, RV.net has a post on this exact topic:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
The people in that link are having the same issue as I am, however they don't have an answer either.
For now I'll just use my pump and keep an eye on things.

Thanks everyone
Old 03-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #10
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
The people in that link are having the same issue as I am, however they don't have an answer either.

For now I'll just use my pump and keep an eye on things.

Thanks everyone

Agreed, though he did say he replaced the water valve. He didnít say if it fixed the issue or not as he left that specific campground.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #11

I just junked a Thetford Aqua Magic. It was under warranty but why go from one new piece of junk to another. Y'all may want to peek at this ~~

toilet replacement - Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #12
Just a member

We recently encountered this issue on our Style II toilet. Late night bio break and the flush just kept on flushing. Got it to stop by fiddling with the pedal but eventually even that wouldnít stop the flow. Replaced the water valve and noted that the suspect defective components looked fine. Alas, potty still filling on its own. Then, for sh_ts and giggles, replaced the vacuum breaker. No joy! Removed the potty to better scrutinize the plumbing and while running some air pressure through the toiletís plumbing circuit, discovered that the nozzle (sprayer) inside the bowl was all but plugged with scale. Cleaned the nozzle out, reinstalled toilet andÖ potty is fully operational! In fact, it now appears to have a better flush than itís ever had. Speculation: The almost clogged nozzle is somehow creating a pressure imbalance between the toiletís plumbing and the upstream water supply. This condition is unseating the spring loaded rubber poppet in the water valve allowing enough H2O to continue to flow into the bowl and in some instances, overflowing the toilet. Might be worth a look for Thetford owners that havenít already popped for a new Dometic.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote