Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #1

Oxygenetics shower head super hot

I replaced the cheap handshower head that came with my rig with na Oxygenetics handshower head. It works as advertised, really makes showering a pleasure...except.... When I push the valve on the handle to temporarily shut off the flow of water then turn it back on the water almost immediately comes out super hot, just like there's no cold water - even though the cold water valve is on. What would cause this? I figured it would go the other way where the water would come out cold at first then turn back to warm/hot water.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #2

Unsure.. I have just installed my Oxygenetics shower head last weekend and yes worked very well but had no concern as you described. on to off to on temp was minimal if any difference from set temp.
NorthCarolinaDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester Fred View Post
I replaced the cheap handshower head that came with my rig with na Oxygenetics handshower head. It works as advertised, really makes showering a pleasure...except.... When I push the valve on the handle to temporarily shut off the flow of water then turn it back on the water almost immediately comes out super hot, just like there's no cold water - even though the cold water valve is on. What would cause this? I figured it would go the other way where the water would come out cold at first then turn back to warm/hot water.
Mine always does the same thing.

2015 F150 Sport 4x4 3.5 Eco Boost
4B11T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #4

What kind of water heater do you have? on demand or standard heater?
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I've one for 3 yrs now and always changes temps some what. It should drip a little water when the valve is shut off which helps the temp change. Also something to check is, if you have an outside shower it needs to be turned off. It may change the water mix by bypassing thru the outside shower head.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #6

I have a Camco and mine does the same thing.

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #7

I've had an Oxygenetics shower head for years and love it. Since we always camp with full hook up's we never shut off the water when showering. Our hot water tank provides plenty of hot water for the two of us to enjoy a long shower. I highly recommend this shower head.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #8

I lived in my trailer 3/4 time for about 2 months this Summer as a campground host. I experienced the same thing with my Oxygenics shower head with every shower. My suspicion is that my temperature blend was achieved using somewhat more flow from the hot side than the cold. During the "dribble" phase the hot to cold imbalance was exaggerated resulting in the short scald upon resuming full flow. I think that in this case a full stop of the flow during the pause would be better.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Every shower head I've had or tried, (we sent the Oxygenics back, didn't like it and it flowed more water than the original) with a flow stop built into it, experienced this condition. Some would scald you for a second, others freeze you to death. I've tried to put a 'logical' reason to this but it seems to happen whether both faucet knobs are fully open or one more so than the other so I'm not sure why.

After 40 years, I've just got into the habit of holding my wash cloth over the shower head when turning back on.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
I lived in my trailer 3/4 time for about 2 months this Summer as a campground host. I experienced the same thing with my Oxygenics shower head with every shower. My suspicion is that my temperature blend was achieved using somewhat more flow from the hot side than the cold. During the "dribble" phase the hot to cold imbalance was exaggerated resulting in the short scald upon resuming full flow. I think that in this case a full stop of the flow during the pause would be better.
I added a valve that stops flow completely and still have the same issue.

2015 F150 Sport 4x4 3.5 Eco Boost
4B11T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #11

Mine is the opposite. Goes ice cold when the valve is closed, and apon opening. Don't know what the problem is. Wash rag is a good idea. I know it's a pain, but what can we do. Beats taking a s shower after work.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #12

Same thing happened with mine. Had to make sure I turned the head to the side before I turned the water back on. RV water heater water is HOT.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #13

Yep, and you can have the same thing happen at home, too. To solve the problem you just need to put a "check" valve in each waterline. When there is a variance in pressure and you shut the water off at the spray head, the water backs up through the "loop" you created at the faucet. We used to have this problem in our darkroom (old photography guy) sinks and it was solved very quickly by putting in the check valves (also known as anti-backflow valves) in the lines. I have seen some of these valves for about $5.00 each at General RV sales in Wixom, MI and they have other outlets and a website if you can't get one at your local hardware store. Actually you will need two, one for the hot and one for the cold. They work great, though and you can completely shut the water off at your spray head and it won't change. You would install it in the water line just before your faucet mixing valve (the water connections to your shower). Depending on the check valve you get, you may have a bit of pressure loss, but, not much. Some units have these valves built in, but, I would doubt you will find them in anything but the really upscale RV units. Hope that helps.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #14

Thanks all....I don't feel so bad now that I know it's not just me!

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #15

It's not you at all, Forrester Fred. I have the same problem. The shower heads are supposed to keep the balance with that annoying/wasteful, slow running of the water, but, it doesn't always (maybe never) work since the water is too slow for the back pressure. I keep saying someday, I will take the faucets out of the shower and put the check valves in, but, after 5 years, I haven't done it yet (had to change out the pump, though). Maybe next year - or when something else in the shower breaks! Until then I just shut off the spray head first, and then, right away, turn off the water at the faucets. I have it memorized that when I turn them back on the hot goes on full first and the cold goes on 1/4 turn of the handle. Then, I turn on the shower head switch. Pain, but, works pretty well, with only a slight change in temp, and the water doesn't run the whole time.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #16

It's not the shower head. This has been a problem with all of the RV's we've owned, even when using the factory supplied shower head. It's just something you have to get used to when taking a shower. Stop the water, soap up, point the shower head away from your body until the water cools to the desired temperature, and finish your shower. There is an explanation for this that I read in another thread, but I don't remember it.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #17

Same problem here, too, and as the hot water is almost depleted, the blast comes out cold at first push of the button.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester Fred View Post
Every camper that we have owned for 35 years has done this regardless of what shower head is used. Just have learned to point it away for a couple of seconds.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

In my shower at home it has a temp control that balances the water, like if someone flushes the toilet. But when DW attaches a sprayer hose next to the shower head with a shut off on the hose it does the same thing. I think when the hot water volume is greater than the cold water, the larger volume water pushes into the lower volume changes the temp.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
In my shower at home it has a temp control that balances the water, like if someone flushes the toilet. But when DW attaches a sprayer hose next to the shower head with a shut off on the hose it does the same thing. I think when the hot water volume is greater than the cold water, the larger volume water pushes into the lower volume changes the temp.
Yep, that is exactly what it does. To correct the situation you need to put "check valves" (antibackflow valves) in BOTH the hot and cold water lines going to the shower valves (only on those lines - don't try to do it to the whole system). They are relatively inexpensive to buy and will solve the problem. Only caveat is you may get a bit less pressure since the valve may push a little against the water flow. They work well if you put them in.

Tags
show, shower