Old 08-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #1

PEX Water Line leak

Recently, I noticed water leaking out of the low point drain of my Coachmen Apex. After investigating it, it turns out the water is not leaking from the drain itself, but it seems to be the PEX water line under the floor that goes to the bathroom sink. The other side of the line comes out near the hot water tank on the other side of the camper.

My question is this: If I remove the leaky water line, how difficult is it to feed a new line under the floor? It seems to me it's worth a shot, but don't want to be stuck with no water on our next trip.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #2

Not that this answers your question, but recently had same sort of leak in my bathroom. Saw dripping outside. Turned out not to be line but a plastic right angle fitting in between 2 pex lines very slowly dripping. Cheap plastic Ts and 90s . I bought a pile of shark bites and replaced them all. Wasnt going to deal with more leaks due to those cheap parts. Just something to check before you assume it's the pex itself.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #3

I didn't realize Shark bites and PEX were compatible. I have used the SB in traditional copper plumbing in my house, so I am familiar on how good they are.

This is great news as we are taking delivery of a "new to us" Palamino 340RK soon and during PDI I noticed PEX everywhere with all original fittings.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #4

SharkBite Push-To-Connect Fittings - How to Install PEX Tubing, Copper Tubing, and CPVC Tubing - SharkBite

No issues with SB and Pex!
Old 08-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #5

Yeah, I've already replaced some of the cheap fitting with Sharkbite. They're great.

I was hoping it was just another fitting that needs replaced, but the water is seeping from under the floor. I just don't know if I can easily feed a new PEX tube under the floor where the current on is. Seems like it should work, but if not, I don't know how I would fix it. It seems to be the only option other than ripping up the floor.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #6

I changed out the FR water filter (with the $30 cartridges) for a better filter system and reasonable filter prices. I bought several small sections of PEX and a PEX clamp, plus rings. To make a VERY long story short; just go with Shark Bite fittings. Getting the PEX connectors crimped properly so they don't weep slightly is a major task. Shark Bites are more expensive, but they do the job the first time without leaks.
Sorry, I don't know how you can run a new line in your particular unit.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

Connect new tube to old and pull it through? A dowel in both tubes and some tape. I've pulled new wiring this way.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #8

if the line goes straight across, get a 1/2 inch barbed coupler fitting at the hardware and stick it into the old and new pieces and pull it through it might help to have someone push as you pull it keeps it from pulling apart.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #9

I did not think of connecting the new line to the old line. I'll give that a try this weekend. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslavonic View Post
Recently, I noticed water leaking out of the low point drain of my Coachmen Apex. After investigating it, it turns out the water is not leaking from the drain itself, but it seems to be the PEX water line under the floor that goes to the bathroom sink. The other side of the line comes out near the hot water tank on the other side of the camper.

My question is this: If I remove the leaky water line, how difficult is it to feed a new line under the floor? It seems to me it's worth a shot, but don't want to be stuck with no water on our next trip.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure why you'd want to pull out the old and replace. I'd find the cause of the leak and address it. If it's a bad joint, redo it. If it's a split in the pex, cut out the bad and splice in a new piece with your favorite method. I doubt you can just pull it out. It's going to be held in place at various points along its path.

Tags
leak, water