Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #1

Pex water lines and furnace housing

Prepping for cool weather camping I wanted to test the furnace to make sure there was no issue. I opened up the access panel to take a look around the furnace and make sure everything was clean and in place. To my amazement there were both hot and cold water lines (they run horizontally from the pump located under bathroom vanity up to the kitchen sink) and both lines are touching/laying on the top of the furnace. My furnace is located under my stove and oven. I shut the furnace off.

Do I need to try and zip tie these lines up from the furnace housing or are they supposed to be that way. Seems they would melt and cause a major leak if left sitting on the furnace.

Thanks.
ArkansasGreyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #2

Mine were the same way in my 2016 Flyte 185FQ. Also the drain from the kitchen sink was on top of furnace. Made a hell of a racket when furnace was running. That’s how I found everything. I zip tied water lines up and replumbed drain line. Stupid No Pride factory workers and No QC !!
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #3

I think you know the answer or you wouldn't have shut the heater off. You will find this type of poor workman ship in all makes/models with a few exceptions. My guess is that it isn't hot enough to melt them in a few nights if they are full of water. I would be figuring out a way to firmly secure them away from the heater. Over time the heat and vibration might make them brittle and fail. Maybe zip ties or a better way if there is one.
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #4

It will be fun trying to find something to zip tie to under there let alone the very small space to work in. Maybe try and prop them up with something as there is a void between the furnace blower and the converter box that could fit a small wood block or something.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
Site Team

They make screw mount cable ties. If there's something close that you could screw them to, they may work for you.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #6

I don’t think the heat would get them but the rubbing would
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #7

I managed to get a small cup holder screw into the wood trim and hung the zip tie from that. Water lines are now up and off the furnace housing.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
waybeck2018

During the PDI on our new Tracer I found that water supply lines to all sinks including the one in the outdoor kitchen had been transitioned from PEX to the vinyl type hose. Note, all other piping is PEX that is in the underbelly. I had the sales manager call Prime Time Tech Rep then and there. His explanation: It is more flexible and easier for our techs to install. WRONG ANSWER! PEX is flexible enough that they could have made the entire connection with PEX. It is definitely on my to do list before winter gets close.(Still in the '90's here in BAMA. A few Shark Bites and I already have the PEX. Shame on you Prime Time!!
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
During the PDI on our new Tracer I found that water supply lines to all sinks including the one in the outdoor kitchen had been transitioned from PEX to the vinyl type hose. Note, all other piping is PEX that is in the underbelly. I had the sales manager call Prime Time Tech Rep then and there. His explanation: It is more flexible and easier for our techs to install. WRONG ANSWER! PEX is flexible enough that they could have made the entire connection with PEX. It is definitely on my to do list before winter gets close.(Still in the '90's here in BAMA. A few Shark Bites and I already have the PEX. Shame on you Prime Time!!
Transitioning from PEX to braded flex is pretty common in the R/V world. Go to a R/V show and open some cabinets. You'll see it a lot.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, water