Old 01-26-2016, 07:57 PM   #1

Playing the "ID this connection" Game

I figured I'd start my own thread to get help identifying the connections in my "Water Management Panel" for my new 5er. Some are labeled, some aren't and some are labeled with names that aren't very descriptive.

First, this is my 4th RV and I thought I knew my way around most systems on these things.

I bought a new 2016 Coachmen Chaparral 390QSMB 2 weeks ago. It has a central hookup station in the curb side basement. Here's a pic and what is labeled and what I was told during my PDI.

I'll start at the bottom.

The red and blue lines with stop cocks are low point drains. They dump out directly below. (Reference for bottom pic)

Pull handles on right are obvious and labeled appropriately for dump tanks. There is also a galley tank dump back under the kitchen slide.

Bottom water hookup on the left. Labeled "City Water Connection"- Seems logical.

Water hook up just above the City Water connection. I was told this was the black tank flush. The Caution label says "Do not use the tank flush valves unless the termination is in the open position." No other label.
Any idea what "Termination" is and how to open it? And this is a hose connection, not a valve.

Next ones going up are obvious. Outdoor shower and filter lines if I want to add one.

Now, about the 2 black valves and the black capped threaded connection on the upper right. The valves are labeled for what function you want, Tank fill, City Water/Winterize and System Use.

What does "System Use" mean? Using the water pump from the fresh tank?

Any idea what the 2 black valves actually do? I was trying to figure it out based on the diagram and function based on position. One sends the city water to the trailer vs water tank I think. Not sure what the other one does.

I forgot to ask about the black capped port right above the black valves was during my PDI. From another thread, I think it is probably a connection to hook up a hose to suck up antifreez when I winterize, but the other post said it should pull out. It doesn't. Just a male threaded connection under the screw on cap.

The dealer said the trailer was winterized when I did my PDI and they wouldn't hook up a water hose. (I bought it in mid-Illinois with temps below freezing). The cold side is air pressurized. You can hear air escape when you open a faucet. Not the hot side. The hot water tank has the drain plug in it and the bypass valves are behind a mounted panel next to the "Water Management Center" in the pic above. I stuck my camera over the top of the panel to get a shot of the bypass and the valves are in the normal (not bypassed) positions.

How can you pressurize just the cold side without also doing the hot side with the valves set like this? (Red and blue lines at the left in the pic. You can see the valves if you look close.)

Now for the last pic and question. This pic is 20 ft down the trailer under the kitchen slide. One pipe/hose hanging down is threaded. I'm pretty sure this is the fresh water drain. I can't find a drain anywhere else, but this is a LONG way from the city water connection. The red and blue hoses hanging down look like low point drains, but those are back in the other pic in the "Water Management Center". I suspect one or both may be fresh tank vents, but two? And why are they colored red and blue instead of blue? Strangely, the guy doing the PDI didn't know what these were either. There is a cap for the threaded hose back in the "Water Management Center".

I'm bringing the trailer home from storage this weekend to start putting things in and adding some storage organizers and I'll dig into this more. I wish I would have got a real "Chaparral" owners manual instead of a generic "Forest River" one.

Thanks,

j

2016 nights camped: 40
2017 nights camped: 16
2017 nights reserved: 30
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:18 PM   #2

Quote:
What does "System Use" mean? Using the water pump from the fresh tank?
Yes, system is the F/W tank and the water pump.

Hose with the cap is F/W tank drain, Blue likely over flow tube for the F/W tank and I have no idea what the red one is for.

My docking station.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:26 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
'Termination' ( Black tank dump valve) needs to be open when flushing tank...
Old 05-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #4

VizJedi......did you ever identify what the line is for with the black threaded cap above the water management system??? I can't find out what it's for.

How do you like your 390 so far? Taking ours out on its second trip today.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #5

Did you ever figure out how to flush black water? We just purchased same unit and cant figure out the valving controls and where to connect hose.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #6

Thought I replied back to this. I must not have hit send.

The black cap above the black handled valves is for a winterize hose connection (antifreeze sucker). Just like in Ford_Idaho's pic above. I found a hose with the female end on it in the basement under the TV box.

The black tank flush connection is the upper house connection on the left. The lower is labeled City Water. Pay close attention when hooking up your city water. I didn't have my glasses on 2 trips ago and switched them. I heard the water running when I turned in on at the spigot, but thought DW was doing something in the kitchen. About 20 minutes later, I heard her scream that the toilet exploded at her when she tried to flush it. Apparently 20 minutes of a good water flow is enough to fill a black tank and generate some pretty good pressure. I'm guessing another few minutes and we would have Old Faithful from the roof vent. That would have been fun. I'm going to put some tape over that connection so I don't try that again.

j

Old 05-19-2016, 10:31 PM   #7

Thanks for clearing it up for me!
Old 05-19-2016, 10:54 PM   #8
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by VizJedi View Post
Thought I replied back to this. I must not have hit send.

The black cap above the black handled valves is for a winterize hose connection (antifreeze sucker). Just like in Ford_Idaho's pic above. I found a hose with the female end on it in the basement under the TV box.

The black tank flush connection is the upper house connection on the left. The lower is labeled City Water. Pay close attention when hooking up your city water. I didn't have my glasses on 2 trips ago and switched them. I heard the water running when I turned in on at the spigot, but thought DW was doing something in the kitchen. About 20 minutes later, I heard her scream that the toilet exploded at her when she tried to flush it. Apparently 20 minutes of a good water flow is enough to fill a black tank and generate some pretty good pressure. I'm guessing another few minutes and we would have Old Faithful from the roof vent. That would have been fun. I'm going to put some tape over that connection so I don't try that again.

j
Did the same myself once. After that, I added a skull and crossbones sticker to the cap for the blank tank flush. Haven't done it a second time!

Lucky for us, the day it happened we were filling up with water at the dump station so just had to dig out the sewer hose and empty the black tank. Sheesh!
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordj37 View Post
How do you like your 390 so far? Taking ours out on its second trip today.
I forgot to mention that we love it. It's absolutely everything we wanted when decided to part with our loved 13 year old bunk house. We've used it 6 times since buying it in January. I really haven't found anything we didn't like. I was a little nervous about the small fresh water tank compared to our old 5er (48 vs 64 for my old one), but I've been out 3 times with only electric hookups and not had any trouble. I think we could go 4 days without issues.

We are getting ready to drive 800 miles to camp on the Gulf coast in a week. We'll see how it does on a longer drive and 8 nights instead of 2.

j

Old 05-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #10

So far so good.
We have camped for 45 years in various forms, starting with tents to rv's.
The past 13 years we lease a permanent site at a camp ground in Saluda, NC. Prior to this unit we had an Alumscape 5'er.
This unit with the extra room is going to allow to stay all summer at the campground full time. I just retired this year and am finding this unit really meets our needs.
I still go back to our home once a week to mow and check on house but this unit really makes me want to become a full timer.
If only my wife would agree.