Old 10-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #31

Sorry and very unfortunate to hear about these different woes. We looked for our current TT for almost 2 years before ordering the unit. With visiting 3 RV shows and visiting several dealers you clearly become aware of quality and workmanship at different price points. But this no excuse for defective parts and improper assembly (poor workmanship) at even the lowest price point. Yes, we spent a few thousand more for our current unit over other brands, but the quality of fit and finish is readily apparent. We hauled the unit just under 4,000 kms this summer and camped in the unit with temps ranging from above 90F while at Cape Cod to temps in the 50's in Northern Ontario. Everything has worked in the unit with no problems. I did have to run a new silicone bead on one wall in the shower and fix the wooden panel on the fridge door from slipping down, but that is it. Maybe, we got a lucky trailer this time, but I would not agree that you have to buy an Airstream to get quality in a TT.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
Anybody else on here find it disheartening on a Forrest River Forum for other people telling you that if you want quality and what you paid for, buy a Airstream

I think you may have read a little too far into my statement. My point is that we ARE (mostly)getting what we paid for. The simple fact of the matter is that the vast majority of us can't afford an AS. Forest River's entry level lines allow many of us to camp that wouldn't be able to if every camper was built like an AS. With that being said, I have been VERY pleased with my Palomino Puma. The few issues I have had were minor and could be fixed easily. I do find it unfortunate when someone like the OP experiences MAJOR issues. That is not acceptable IMO. I don't find it a huge inconvenience to turn a screw driver now and then or tighten something up or add a little caulk. For the number of campers that FR turns out, I think the massive problems are relatively rare. I bought my Puma 30DBSS for less than 20K. I'd be pretty dense to think that this thing was gone over with a fine tooth comb for hours and hours at that price. It does seem as though certain lines, even at the same price points, are more prone to problems. I know it's a little late, but I highly recommend the Puma campers. I've been through every nook and cranny of ours and I have been very pleased at the workmanship, even in out of sight areas.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #33

It'll be fine in the end. I love to camp, and I love this camper. I have it almost straightened out now, But it is sad to see what the not so mechanically inclined people go through. seriously, i wouldn't have been able to use it but maybe once if i had not been fixing its issues myself. i didn't by the aluminum sided one because it was cheaper, (was it?) I don't like the slick sided ones. it de-laminates and when if it does you are screwed. They look better, well sorta of, but that whole side is one piece. I have seen waaaaaaay to many with the de-lam going on. Its ready to go now. checked the water connections and drain pipes some (3 under the kitchen sink and 1 under the bath sink) were loose most were tight and i am ready to go camping again.

on a side note, all access panels come off next week. no more surprises. time to get ahead of the QC
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
It'll be fine in the end. I love to camp, and I love this camper. I have it almost straightened out now, But it is sad to see what the not so mechanically inclined people go through. seriously, i wouldn't have been able to use it but maybe once if i had not been fixing its issues myself. i didn't by the aluminum sided one because it was cheaper, (was it?) I don't like the slick sided ones. it de-laminates and when if it does you are screwed. They look better, well sorta of, but that whole side is one piece. I have seen waaaaaaay to many with the de-lam going on. Its ready to go now. checked the water connections and drain pipes some (3 under the kitchen sink and 1 under the bath sink) were loose most were tight and i am ready to go camping again.

on a side note, all access panels come off next week. no more surprises. time to get ahead of the QC
Very true. I don't know how those folks that don't even own a screwdriver can stand to camp. It would be a nightmare for you and your dealer to have to drag it in for every little thing. Glad to hear you've about got it straightened out.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #35
NELA

I've discovered an AS way back in some weeds at a vacant house. I've done my research and know who the property belongs to.

I'm thinking my next TT will be a totally refurbished AS!

Long term project. DH and I will do much of the work. If nothing else we'll use it at a permanent site somewhere.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #36
Carknocker Family

Most of the things I am saying are in jest. I realize that these things happen. Really my only gripe about the whole thing is lack of neatness in the build. Was it really necessary to smear 2 tubes of caulk on the camper when one in the right place would have done the job?
All my problems are from the inserted things through the body of the camper. Doors, hatches, vents that if a little more care had been taken during assembly, would not leaked.
I have fixed many things on my TT and will continue to do so. I work in the Rail industry and trust me, I have seen thing messed up. Imagine what two thing weighing over 400k lbs each running into each other at any speed will do.
The only reason mine is at the dealer right now is for warranty parts. I could have fixed the leak, and speaking to the dealer, I still may have to. Been there since the 1st and they still havent found it. Even with pics!
I picked my TT for the floor plan and what it could do for my family. We still love it and cant wait for it to be back home!
And above all else,
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #37

You`ll get these same stories with all RV manuf. every one has some type of issue. I have had my Cherokee since 06 and the only issue was the Concertone stereo that I replaced after the 3rd failure with a JVC car stereo. otherwise I have been extremely happy with it!
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Our dealer even goes so far as to have a check list sheet that the customer signs off on as having been shown all the individual items in the RV that is returned to the manufacturer after the PDI. As has been pointed out numerous times in various threads, a great dealer makes all the difference when purchasing an RV of any brand.
I thoroughly agree. We bought our second trailer from the same dealer and salesman. Our unit was booked up to shore power, water, and sewer hookups. Faucets, shower, and toilet were tested on the spot using city and pump. AC was on, fired up water heater and furnace. Ran all power accessories.
Their service head knows everyone not only by first name but also what trailer they own. They have NEVER hesitated to help me out in my early years over he phone while we were at a campground. The head service guy even put off his lunch to replace a tire that had split right before we left for a trip. I thanked him many times, and his response was "I take care of my customers, period."
This is a family-run dealer.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I've discovered an AS way back in some weeds at a vacant house. I've done my research and know who the property belongs to.

I'm thinking my next TT will be a totally refurbished AS!

Long term project. DH and I will do much of the work. If nothing else we'll use it at a permanent site somewhere.
sounds like fun
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #40
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
I thoroughly agree. We bought our second trailer from the same dealer and salesman. Our unit was booked up to shore power, water, and sewer hookups. Faucets, shower, and toilet were tested on the spot using city and pump. AC was on, fired up water heater and furnace. Ran all power accessories.
Their service head knows everyone not only by first name but also what trailer they own. They have NEVER hesitated to help me out in my early years over he phone while we were at a campground. The head service guy even put off his lunch to replace a tire that had split right before we left for a trip. I thanked him many times, and his response was "I take care of my customers, period."
This is a family-run dealer.
We are the same, our dealer is exceptional, same people over twenty years of upgrading and just new because we wanted a change but we are lucky enough to be near our dealer and they are quite famous too.
CAN-AM in London Ontario. It makes owning an RV a much more relaxing experience.

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote