Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #1

Please tell me mine is an isolated incicdent.

I very rarely bash anyone or anything on an open forum, BUT guys what can I say other than the quality of a Forest River camper is laughable at best. I can not with a straight face recommend to a friend to buy a camper. The list just keep getting longer. after the following things that have had to be fixed by me like the Tank vent not even on by one full turn, the toilet has a known defect that is an internal leak. TV coax connectors hooked up incorrectly, A whole gray water tank for a tiny outdoor sink, a window that popped out of the main slide out on the second trip, Drawers broken and fell down from a delivery trip. AND NOW A PRETTY MAJOR WATER LEAK FROM THE PLUMBING INSIDE THE WARDROBE. STARTING TO SEE WHY THIS WAS SUCH A GOOD DEAL ON THE INTERNET. They wanted it as far away from Jeff Couch RVs as possible. so someone else could repair all the crap that was broken on it. The thing is the nearest decent dealer is about 80 miles away and at the rate things break on this lemon i wouldn't have been able to use it even once yet because it would have been in the shop the whole time i have owned it. Not to mention 7-8 trips with diesel at 4$ a gallon

so I replace the dometic 300 with yet another 300 because they are supposed to be new and improved... yeah right whatever . so I install it and fill it up via the fresh water tank using the pump. then I noticed the pump cycling every 10 seconds or so. this can only be a leak but i notice the 2/3 full tank is now empty? say what? I go to the other side of the camper because when i looked under the TT I saw water dripping out the other side. Now how in the world could i have possibly caused that leak all the way over there? I didn't, the fresh water hook up was not threaded on all the way and the hole that was haphazardly cut in the wall where the line is to connect caused the hand nut to hit the hole edge and it has been loose the whole time. In disgust i turned off the lights and went inside.

this is unacceptable but what can you do. I dont like dealers at all. but man i am tired of working on a new TT. I guess it goes without saying that i am not even remotely impressed with the quality of these things.

A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
https://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
NELA

That ragged hole in the wall reminded me of a post someone else made. One of their electrical outlets was loose so he tried to tighten it up with a screwdriver. Removed the plate that found a HUGE ragged hole like that, with nothing behind the plate to screw the plate/receptacle to.

We've had some issues. Bought our TT in June and this was our first issue:
A caution to those who own Flagstaff V-Lites

Now we have a failing tongue jack...only works if you whack it with a wrench. (eyeroll) and one of those pos day/nite shades is broken. We're just going to wait until December to take it back for warranty repair. Like you, we're 90 miles away from our dealer.

Unfortunately the common consensus is that all brands have horror stories. IMO that's no excuse.

Knock on wood we've not had any leaks YET.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #3

That is what i am afraid of.

No pride in their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
That ragged hole in the wall reminded me of a post someone else made. One of their electrical outlets was loose so he tried to tighten it up with a screwdriver. Removed the plate that found a HUGE ragged hole like that, with nothing behind the plate to screw the plate/receptacle to.

We've had some issues. Bought our TT in June and this was our first issue:
A caution to those who own Flagstaff V-Lites

Now we have a failing tongue jack...only works if you whack it with a wrench. (eyeroll) and one of those pos day/nite shades is broken. We're just going to wait until December to take it back for warranty repair. Like you, we're 90 miles away from our dealer.

Unfortunately the common consensus is that all brands have horror stories. IMO that's no excuse.

Knock on wood we've not had any leaks YET.
A&P
Old 10-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
NELA

Have you contacted your manufacturer?

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nfo-42914.html

Check this link. All the Forest River contacts are listed here.

I see the Salem info right there at the top.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Have you contacted your manufacturer?

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nfo-42914.html

Check this link. All the Forest River contacts are listed here.

I see the Salem info right there at the top.
not yet, figured i would fixt the little stuff, but man i am starting to wonder when the axles are gonna fall out from under the TT. and i have been in the automotive industry and this just looks to be 20 times worse than any i have ever seen. Just dont see what good it would do.
A&P
Old 10-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Denver, CO

I don't know what your definition of isolated is, but my Vcross has been very very good. One exception in the Jensen 965 Radio/DVD which I have been trying to fix for 6 months, just got a new one from FR and it is broke right out of the box. Won't play DVD AT ALL.

Other than that I con't have any problems at all, and I am guessing that most other don't either.

Maybe campers made during the heat of the spring/summer rush Are hurried out the door more and certainly the huge increase in orders have required massive hiring of new folks.

Just some thoughts.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #7

I guess it's hit or miss. I've had two Rockwoods and haven't had any real issues (ie: things I can't fix myself with a trip to Lowe's for a few bucks). A guy a I work with has the same opinion as you. He's got a Rockwood Sig. U/L that he wishes would have a tree fall on it. He did say that it was made about the same time as all of those FEMA trailers, so he wonders if they weren't just rushing them out the door ASAP and QC suffered.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Aside from your window falling out, your issues seem to be relatively minor and easily fixed. Granted, you get frustrated fixing one thing after another on something so new, but do give it a little time. These "growing pains" will pass and you'll be enjoying your rig like it was intended.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #9

We have owned two Pumas an '06 and a '13 with very few & very very minor issues. Only warrenty issues have been cosmetic like a curtian, & the wallpaper border bubbling. Which Forest River Product do you have??? Kind of like saying all GM's are junk........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #10

We have not had any issues with our Wldcat.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #11

they all have problems, yours are really not that big. Sorry, but unless FR sends a driver to your house and takes your MH back to the factory for a total rebuild, your problems are minor. Even after mine came back from the factory other things began to fail. These things are built quickly, cheaply and than driven to the dealer by someone who has never heard of a weight distribution hitch, as quickly as they can drive, and as long as there is no visible damage everyone is happy. My FR Ridgeview did not even have the drain lines hooked up to anything when I got it, my first indication that something was wrong was when after began pouring out of the slide. My floor began to sag at the shower after 1 week of use due to leak behind shower, my unit was painted with fancy graphics than had the slide adjusted for level making all the paint lines mismatched. My last Cedar Creek 36 CKTS spent 7 out of 9 months in for major repairs, like the pin box welded to the frame out of level, black tank flush leaked into storage, my point is they all have problems, if you can't accept it than its time to go back to a tent because the manufacturers are not going to change as long as we keep buying substandard products.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #12

Sorry to hear about all those bad experiences. Major or minor, they still detract from the ownership experience, and aren't something that a buyer should have to deal with.

As noted countless times on this forum, the build quality from all manufacturers seems to be sub-standard on some units . . . very hit and miss. The problem is, this seems to be accepted by the builders. The RV industry would be wise to take a close look at Detroit, and how the quality of their goods went south during the mid-60's through the decade of the 70's, and beyond. People complained, lemon laws were enacted, and the manufacturers indifference to customer feedback allowed foreign suppliers to take their market position, often through better built products.

And, look at a reputable dealership, and listen to what they are finding during their inspections. And yes, a reputable dealership will do a FULL test on any new unit. In July of this year, we purchased a new Flagstaff 832IKBS from Cheyenne Camping Sales in Iowa. It was our second unit from them, and there's a reason.

When we went for our PDI, city water was still connected to the unit, the faucets were being tested, the plumbing for any leaks, and the holding tanks were tested. The furnace had just ended a cycle, the AC was then turned on, and the fireplace was activated. All lights were tested before us, the Fan-Tas-Tic fan was turned on, and the refrigerator was running. I could go on, but in short, everything on the trailer was or had been tested . . . before we drove off the lot.

To date, this trailer has had zero issues, as did the Puma we'd previously purchased from them. Did their inspection identify problems? I never asked, but if it did, anything found obviously was corrected.

However, we've also had friends who've had a difference experience with their dealer. Literally, a stock unit was pulled from the stable, brought around in front for attaching to TV, and paperwork was completed. Walk through was with unit hitched, so there was 12V to test, but no 120V and no water connection.

I ran manufacturing companies for 45 years, with several involving highly seasonal products. Being rushed for shipment, and adding new employees, can take a toll on quality, but only if it's allowed. If the proper checks and balances are in place, then internal failsafing will prevent major defects from reaching the dock, and the majority of minor ones. Foisting these onto the customer is an unacceptable way to do business.

At a minimum, establish a rapport with someone in the manufacturer's employee base; customer service, tech support, warranty administration, whomever. Then, report EVERY issue you encounter, and track every minute of work you spend on resolution. In other words, document everything, but do so with the insider having full knowledge.

Anyone who has been in manufacturing understands the letters ZD. They stand for Zero Defects, and in reputable firms, that isn't merely the catchy business phrase of the moment, it's the way they do business.

Wishing you success with resolving your issues.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

Our dealer even goes so far as to have a check list sheet that the customer signs off on as having been shown all the individual items in the RV that is returned to the manufacturer after the PDI. As has been pointed out numerous times in various threads, a great dealer makes all the difference when purchasing an RV of any brand.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #14

all very good info. I will contact forest river and apprise them of my situation just because i think it is the right thing to do. will they do anything about it? NO but if it continues and i decide to take some sort of legal action it wont be a first encounter.

I know the quality is sub par but man this seems even way below that. I don't mind a little something here and there but this POC is falling apart.

I haven't had the heart to tell my wife, i just fix it when she is gone. which is pathetic to say the least.

oit is a salem 32 bhds by the way.

A&P
Old 10-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
all very good info. I will contact forest river and apprise them of my situation just because i think it is the right thing to do. will they do anything about it? NO but if it continues and i decide to take some sort of legal action it wont be a first encounter.

I know the quality is sub par but man this seems even way below that. I don't mind a little something here and there but this POC is falling apart.

I haven't had the heart to tell my wife, i just fix it when she is gone. which is pathetic to say the least.

oit is a salem 32 bhds by the way.

The type of QC you are looking for is available in an Airstream. It will cost you north of 60K for a 28' with no slide, however.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #16
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
I don't mind a little something here and there but this POC is falling apart.
I believe we should mind, when we sign for this product it does not say that "this unit may need some more assembly and touch up to the assembly already paid for by you". Can you imagine buying a 60' tv and taking it home just to find it needs more assembly work, would you be doing it, not me for sure. This will only stop when people start taking legal action against them, and none of us really want to do that, butttt at some piont.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
The type of QC you are looking for is available in an Airstream. It will cost you north of 60K for a 28' with no slide, however.
never had a problem with my 28' Airstream safari and although they seem pricey you can get a 60000+ 28' down to around 48,000 and they keep there resale. My Aviator had a msrp of right at 90,000 got it for about 69,000 and is worth less than 40,000 4 months later. Should have bought another Airstream!
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
Carknocker Family

Sorry Brother I should have warned ya about the loose connections on the water systems. I too bought mine from Jeff Couch. I went and picked it up personally. 500 miles one way or so.
My first leak was on the fresh water tank. The connection under the fridge. Same thing, half a@@ install. And the gravity hose runnin uphill! No wonder it was always spitting out when trying to fill. I fixed it and grinned and bared it. A pain, but better than trusting someone else to fix it.
If it didnt ruin any of the flooring or the wardrobe, bite the bullet and fix it. (You know you are) If it did damage anything, then contact the factory and they will send you to a dealer near you for parts and service. ( Where I am now with mine ) It wont be very satisfying, but it will get fixed.
Check your other connections on the water. Bouncing up and down on the road has a way of making things loose.
I look at the bright side, just a 125 more payments and this will all be mine....Lol....
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
sad but true.
A&P
Old 10-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
never had a problem with my 28' Airstream safari and although they seem pricey you can get a 60000+ 28' down to around 48,000 and they keep there resale. My Aviator had a msrp of right at 90,000 got it for about 69,000 and is worth less than 40,000 4 months later. Should have bought another Airstream!
Had this very discussion the other day at the dealers, had we bought an airstream in the early 90's when we first bought new we figure we would have had much more time camping as we would not have been rebuilding and modifying continuously, just an insight, oh well.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote