Old 06-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #1

Plugged Black Water Tank

I bought an used 2009 Wildwood F25 in 2010. I've had nothing but problem with the sewer system. Last year I spent nearly $1000 to have a roto rooter guy open up a completely plugged sewer system and paying for his labor and they breaking my toilet in the process. Since Forest River dealers are not near us in the state of Washington, the dealer that sold us the fifth wheel have been totally useless.
Month ago we took it out on a camping trip and we used the toilet in the RV on a limited basis. However, when we went to dump it some stuff came out but pouring one gallon of water down the toilet caused the water to backup to the floor level in the toilet. I then poured some enzyme type liquid into the toilet and went home. Two weeks later when we went camping again I dumped the sewer tank before we entered the campground. We stayed at the campground for about four days and we used the toilet in our RV for liquid waste only. When we went to dump the tank we got some stuff to come out. However, when I poured one gallon of water the toilet with the drain valve closed, the water backed up to the floor level. Then I poured two more gallons of water and it backed up all the way up to the flapper valve. I ran a flexible rod down the 90 degree elbow from the toilet to the tank and I found no apparent obstruction in the pipe. I finally found a RV dealer about 45 miles away that has some experience with Forest River RVs and they think I should spend about $500 to change out the tank. I think the previous owner did something that's causing all this problem and I don't know if I should take it to the RV dealer or if there's something I can do at home. Has anyone had a problem like mine and also can anyone tell me if there is a schematic drawing available that shows where the tank is located in respect to the toilet?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #2

For $500 I would have them change it out.
After they replace it use it a lot. If there is a problem you know who did the work and where to take it to get it fixed. Chances are slim you will have any troubles.
The tank is directly below the toilet. RV toilets are gravity discharge.

Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #3

Could it be possible that your lines are mixed up. the 3 inch that should be coming out of your black tank is connected to your gray and the 2 inch line that should be gray is connected to the black? Saw this on a friends Salem.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #4

I don't think the lines are mixed up because the roto-rooter guy worked on the black water discharge line and he was able to remove some of the total blockage I had before. After the last camping trip I drained as much of the black water tank as possible. Then I dropped a packet of the enzyme treatment down the toilet followed by three gallons of water. Just this much water backed it up to the flapper valve on the toilet and it just stayed there for days. Today I opened the flapper valve and I found absolutely no water in the toilet or in the visible area of the pipe going to the tank. This is really encouraging, but I wonder just how much more solids and blockage are in there. By the way I did try using the device that shoots water from the drain outlet to the tank. I had it running for four hours with no luck.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #5

Might try a full tank with some RV-digest it . Otters use it as annual maintenance, but I think a full tank of water with it, and let it all set for a few days, then a good rinse could do wonders.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Another thing to try is get 3 or 4 bags of ice and pour down the toilet along with 2 or 3 gal of water and drive around for about 30 minutes to an hour and then put the enzymes in it and fill it up and let it set for 3 or 4 days.

If that doesn't work, you may have to take the slide valve off and get a high pressure washer and start cleaning the inside. Needless to say, it will be a nasty, stinky job, but your trailer is useless the way it is now.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Graduate Member

I'm having trouble visualizing the toilet being to full that adding one gallon of water causes it to overflow or near overflow. Wouldn't that mean there's some 49ish gallons currently IN the black tank (as my blank tank is 50 gallons)?
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #8

"you may have to take the slide valve off and get a high pressure washer and start cleaning the inside. Needless to say, it will be a nasty, stinky job,"
If you do that please video the whole thing and dub Homer Simpsons voice into it.

How much is your time worth? PLUS gas, ice, chemicals, dump fees, etc.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
"you may have to take the slide valve off and get a high pressure washer and start cleaning the inside. Needless to say, it will be a nasty, stinky job,"
If you do that please video the whole thing and dub Homer Simpsons voice into it.

How much is your time worth? PLUS gas, ice, chemicals, dump fees, etc.
He's already spent $1000 and someone wants another $500. I think it's worth spending a few dollars and some labor and see what's really wrong.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #10

Where would this be done?
It is illegal to dump raw sewage. It is also waaay waaay uncool.