Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #1

Plugged toilet 2013 Rockwood Signiture ( Amelio)

First trip out had to snake the toilet plumbing line 4 times. Used very little paper.
Toilet is in the upper bedroom and not directly over the tank, Thetford toilet installation instructions say it should be directly over the tank. The drain pipe has two elbows that I can see. . Has anyone had this problem or solution.
I have had many fith wheel trailer and know how to use toilets that are directly over the tank. HELP!!!
Amelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Site Team

Amelio, it would help if you posted which model you have.
there are 9 different Rockwood Signature models.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Dan, just a thought. Wonder if the admins could fix this so you had to put your rv model in your signature. I see this multiple times a day, that a poster is looking for help, but we have no idea what they own.

Like I said, just a thought.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
Site Team

every RV forum that i'm a member of, always suggests this but many members just don't do it or don't know how.

and many newbies simply don't know that they need to post better info.
the same goes for when someone says "can i tow this Rockwood trailer with my Chevy truck?", and never given any real info on the truck or the trailer.

we can't force people to put info in their signature line. we hope everyone will or see that others do it, but it's their choice.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Like I said, It was just a thought..
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
And a good one.
I always try to make a pitch for it when answering a post, especially if the info is not in their profile.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
It's a good thought.

Dan and Herk are right, too, that we try and encourage. For example, all new members for the last year get a welcome letter that says it.

Now...back to our regularly scheduled program

Amelio, welcome to the forum! The make and model of your 5er might help. I hope someone here can help with the plumbing issue. Good luck!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #8

Another first-poster. Ah well.

If a person had to snake a line four times on their first outing, they obviously have their black water drain open all the time, as they should not. I don't even have my trailer yet, and I know this.

Amelio, you need to leave the black water tank shut until you either go to leave, or it's mostly full. There are several good videos you can search for to show you how to do this.
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelio View Post
First trip out had to snake the toilet plumbing line 4 times. Used very little paper.
Toilet is in the upper bedroom and not directly over the tank, Thetford toilet installation instructions say it should be directly over the tank. The drain pipe has two elbows that I can see. . Has anyone had this problem or solution.
I have had many fith wheel trailer and know how to use toilets that are directly over the tank. HELP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Thank you for replying.
foolish of me not to mention that the rockwood Signiture is a #8265 WS fifth wheel.
I am at a camp ground and they use a pump truck to drain the holding tank. The pipe with it's elbows still does not drain into the vacated tank.
I snaked it out again and pulled out the undesolved remnents of "Aqua Kems Toss Ins" packet
I feel that packets and solid matter is possibly hanging up on slag or rough edges of the plumbing.
As mentioned, " the toilet is not directly over the tank as suggested by the manufacturer. ( Dometic)
At the end of my six week trip I will bring it back to the dealer and insist on a camera inspection of the line.
I am new to Forum and like it. But, I have some trouble navigating though it. I will learn with time.
Thank you
Old 04-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:

Thank you for replying.
foolish of me not to mention that the rockwood Signiture is a #8265 WS fifth wheel.
I am at a camp ground and they use a pump truck to drain the holding tank. The pipe with it's elbows still does not drain into the vacated tank.
I snaked it out again and pulled out the undesolved remnents of "Aqua Kems Toss Ins" packet
I feel that packets and solid matter is possibly hanging up on slag or rough edges of the plumbing.
As mentioned, " the toilet is not directly over the tank as suggested by the manufacturer. ( Dometic)
At the end of my six week trip I will bring it back to the dealer and insist on a camera inspection of the line.
I am new to Forum and like it. But, I have some trouble navigating though it. I will learn with time.
Thank you
I would say some abnormality in the pipe causing a hangup. I would ditch the aquakem packs for liquid and flush with lots of water. And when able to, use the campground facilities.

BTW, welcome to the Forum.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I would say some abnormality in the pipe causing a hangup. I would ditch the aquakem packs for liquid and flush with lots of water. And when able to, use the campground facilities.

BTW, welcome to the Forum.
Maybe try longer flushes each time its used to help keep paper moving along.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Our Rockwood 5W also has 2- 45 elbows in the piping to the black tank and never had an issue with blockage. As suggested use lots of water for flushing.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaves View Post
Another first-poster. Ah well.

If a person had to snake a line four times on their first outing, they obviously have their black water drain open all the time, as they should not. I don't even have my trailer yet, and I know this.

Amelio, you need to leave the black water tank shut until you either go to leave, or it's mostly full. There are several good videos you can search for to show you how to do this.
My first post indicated that I have had many fifth wheel trailers and I know how to use the toilets which includes black water tank valves. I am not a novis and I am trying to politely follow the Forum rules, So please emulate.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #14

Thanks. That is exactly what I have done. I will be at the lake for two more weeks . Enough time to evaluate further.
Amelio
Ciao
Old 04-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
Professional Texan

Quote:
Thanks. That is exactly what I have done. I will be at the lake for two more weeks . Enough time to evaluate further.
Amelio
Ciao
You are doing fine. Folks just want to help and sometimes you need to ask the obvious, like "Is your battery charged" etc. to make sure all bases are covered.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #16

Quote:
My first post indicated that I have had many fifth wheel trailers and I know how to use the toilets which includes black water tank valves. I am not a novis and I am trying to politely follow the Forum rules, So please emulate.
I'm not trying to be rude, but, math is math. You didn't fill a 38 gallon black tank four times in a single weekend. You stated you had to snake it four times in a weekend. That means you are draining too frequently.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaves View Post
I'm not trying to be rude, but, math is math. You didn't fill a 38 gallon black tank four times in a single weekend. You stated you had to snake it four times in a weekend. That means you are draining too frequently.

Good luck.
The OP is having blockages ABOVE the tank, and not at the drain valve.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

With this configuration I think the stool bowl must be full of water at each flush .

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
The OP is having blockages ABOVE the tank, and not at the drain valve.
Oh. I did not see that. My apologies.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

OK,

1) Pump out services do not flush the tank, they just suck out any liquid waste that flows out the mast.

2) If there is not enough liquid EVERY TIME; solids remain in a pile (Pyramid of doom) at the base of the soil pipe.

3) If they charge per pump out, it is human nature to try and stretch the time between pump outs. Folks do this by not filling the bowl with water when flushing a #2. This is false economy. It leads to solids caked on walls and a deep layer of packed on sludge that restricts water flow from the dump mast valve making even more solids remain behind.

4) Once the "Pyramid of Doom" gets high enough to block the entrance to the soil pipe, solids start blocking the pipe itself; catching everything that goes down that is not water. (paper, deodorant tablets, poo, etc.)

So, what to do.

You are not going to like your options:

1) STOP using the toilet

2) Add 1 QUART of RV-Digest-It or other enzyme/bacteria based digester and then fill the tank with water until you see water in the bottom of the toilet opening (no higher as you don't want your base seal to leak.

3) Wait AT LEAST 72 hours (3 full days) to allow the "beasties" to turn that sludge/paper/poo into liquid waste.

4) call for a pump out.

5) Repeat AT LEAST once more.

6) Always use a full bowl of water to flush solids and never pump out unless full.

This should do the trick.

Unique RV Digest-It Unique Distributing
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote