Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #41

Good idea to have some wire of that gauge. I had to run a new wire the last time I replaced the switch!
Old 04-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #42

And A Coupling

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Good idea to have some wire of that gauge. I had to run a new wire the last time I replaced the switch!
You’re right. I’m pretty sure if it happens to me again, I will need to make the wire longer. I had to cut about 3” of burned wire off this time, so next time I will need a crimp-on coupling and wire.

Bruce
Old 04-18-2019, 08:08 AM   #43

Not unusual

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I meant to mention this in my last post: if you are going to keep a spare switch, you better have a couple fully insulated crimp-on 1/4” female disconnects, 16-14 gauge, on-hand as well. One of mine completely melted. It would be a shame to have the switch and not be able to connect it. In case I didn’t identify this part correctly (because I am not an electrician), I have included a picture below. The one that melted off had a 90 degree bend to it, but I couldn’t find one of those, so I just used a straight one like the one in the picture.

Bruce
It's not unusual to see the terminal and wire insulation melted away. That switch has been arcing for a long time. Or as I tell my son, "You're lucky it didn't burn the house down."

In the trade, those connectors are called FASTON, which is actually one of the brand names. Google "right angle faston" and you will see dozens of images.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #44

Some people will object...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
You’re right. I’m pretty sure if it happens to me again, I will need to make the wire longer. I had to cut about 3” of burned wire off this time, so next time I will need a crimp-on coupling and wire.

Bruce
Some people will object, but if it were mine, I'd just slide on a few inches of heat-shrink tubing, wave the heat gun at it, (maybe a second layer of heat shrink tubing), and be done with it.

The dielectric strength of the 3M brand (first one I found) is 900 V/mil. That means that even if the tubing was stretched until it was only 1/1000 of an inch thick, it still wouldn't break down until more than 900 volts were applied.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Some people will object, but if it were mine, I'd just slide on a few inches of heat-shrink tubing, wave the heat gun at it, (maybe a second layer of heat shrink tubing), and be done with it.

The dielectric strength of the 3M brand (first one I found) is 900 V/mil. That means that even if the tubing was stretched until it was only 1/1000 of an inch thick, it still wouldn't break down until more than 900 volts were applied.

Larry
The wire I had to cut off was like crispy, burned bacon — it just crumbled when I touched it. I cut back to the point where the strands would bend without breaking.

Bruce
Old 04-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #46

If it was just the covering on the wire, heat shrink is fine but if to the point the wire is brittle, then you need to replace the wire. That is how mine was also there was not enough wire to cut and put on a new end. I also do not like to add unnecessary splices into any circuits. 12 volt or 120 volt. I know you can, but I don't.

Tags
plumbing