Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #1

Portable waste holding tank?

I am wanting to purchase a portable waste holding tank. Our camper has a 30 gallon black water and 60 gallon gallon gray water tank. What size, and brand/model do you recommend.

Days camped 2014 - 0, 2015 - 24
IlliniJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:41 AM   #2

Lots of threads on subject.....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=porta...BMmLyASxgYHAAQ
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #3

If you have the space, the biggest one you can get. Or, the biggest one that is on sale. I have the one on the link, just for reference; I think I paid $200. You can drop it on the ball and tow it to the dump station and it seems to handle a full load on smooth drive. The 27 gallon would be easier to handle, of course.

Thetford SmartTote LX Portable Waste Tank - 35 Gallon - Thetford 40520 - Holding Tanks - Camping World

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
Done with this

X2 on the Smart Tote. Works great and is a nice piece.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #5

I use a smaller one!

My opinion is probably different than most, but I use a 15 gallon size. It is much easier to handle and take to the dump station. I've used the big ones before and hated how big and heavy they were, and if you tow it to the dump station by hooking it to your hitch, you have to drive very slow, and they make a lot of noise; this is a real pain if the dump station is a long distance away. The one I use on the other hand, can easily be lifted onto the tailgate of my truck with another person, and I can drive the speed limit to the dump; I'd rather make two easy trips than one hard one. It is also much cheaper and easier to stow. I use one of those chair racks that fit onto my TT ladder, turn the tank upside down and secure it with a couple of bungee cords; it travels like a dream. Here's a couple of links for the tank and rack that I use.......

Amazon.com: Tote-N-Stor 25607 Portable Waste Transport - 15 Gallon Capacity: Automotive

Amazon.com: Camco 51490 Black Chair Rack: Automotive

Good luck!!
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #6

Wolf & Mule, The Smart Tote 35LX is actually the one that I am looking at. Looks like a really good product.

Days camped 2014 - 0, 2015 - 24
IlliniJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #7

Too bad you are not closer , I have one that I would give away !
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #8

I looked on Craigslist and saw one sitting under a camper a fellow had for sale. Called and asked him if we would sell just the "honey wagon" which he agreed to. 27 gallons for $75.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
Site Team

If you are using at tote that is smaller than your holding tank, I suggest you get a second shutoff ( slide ) valve and mount it on the tank end of the sewer hose. If you fill the tote too full and shut the valve on the RV, you will have the length of the hose full of nasty stuff that you will end up dumping on you or the ground.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:27 AM   #10

We use a 22 gallon blue tank that tows from the truck hitch ball. The 22 gallon size is about as large as I can handle. Storage could be an issue for some. The 22 sits on a chair rack on the ladder. We have labeled our blue tank with "Stool Bus".
Old 03-09-2015, 06:39 AM   #11

What Flybob could be an issue, but hasn't been for me yet. The Smart tote has an indicator when it is nearly full. I try to NOT fill to over 75% from the black tank, but will fill it as full as I think I can handle with grey water. In soft soil or gravel it can be a handful. just don't fill it full if that's the case. Another way to manage it is if you know you are going to have to use the Tote and you know how much is in a tank at the various lights, you might be able to go by that and dump a tank at 1/3, for example. Love the "Stool Bus", DF! You should paint it yellow?

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:46 AM   #12

I have a 35 gallon tote that I use. I also have a macerator pump that I use. I put the tote in the back of the truck and then pump into it from the 5er. Works for me.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you are using at tote that is smaller than your holding tank, I suggest you get a second shutoff ( slide ) valve and mount it on the tank end of the sewer hose. If you fill the tote too full and shut the valve on the RV, you will have the length of the hose full of nasty stuff that you will end up dumping on you or the ground.
I agree with this, so part of the trick is to go slow, speed does not win the race in this one. I use a Valterra bobber when I do this chore, not 100% accurate but let's you now you are getting close. I marked a line on the bobber after doing a fresh water test run which screams "STOP". I use a 22 gallon Barker. In theory I remove 1/4 to 1/3 third from each tank (2x 30 gal grey and 1x 30 gal black) each day and of course last day at the dump station.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have 40 gallon and the wheels are too small for towing very far. The lawn mower wheels heat up. I would recommend one with pneumatic tires. As far as filling too much, i only dump a portion of the black tank if needed. Staying for a week I dump the shower once and kitchen twice.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #15

When the black tank is completely full will it overflow out of the toilet? I thought heard it would overflow out the top of Rv on the vent
eswan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #16

It will only overflow if you keep your foot on the flush pedal. Look down the toilet hole and you can see the "Water line" if that line is creeping up to the edge where the toilet is fixed to the floor you are way past time to empty or stop using. Same with shower, it is possible to be standing in a couple of inches of "Grey water" if that tank is that full. The grey and black tanks do not have a positive shut off valve to not let that happen. I am sure people at CG's have laughed at me for doing this chore daily but I have never had a filling problem in 5 years.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenttotrailer View Post
It will only overflow if you keep your foot on the flush pedal. Look down the toilet hole and you can see the "Water line" if that line is creeping up to the edge where the toilet is fixed to the floor you are way past time to empty or stop using. Same with shower, it is possible to be standing in a couple of inches of "Grey water" if that tank is that full. The grey and black tanks do not have a positive shut off valve to not let that happen. I am sure people at CG's have laughed at me for doing this chore daily but I have never had a filling problem in 5 years.

Kevin
Good response. The roof vent pipe connection to the black and grey tanks is not a tight positive connection. The pipe enters the tank through a neoprene seal just slightly smaller than the pipe - friction fit. This is done to allow for some give and take as the trailer goes down the road and for expansion/contraction from heat. This is similar to the vent pipe on the roof of your stick and brick home.

After a roof repair on our trailer, the pipe was not correctly inserted into our grey tank, and when it was filled, we had grey water exiting the bottom cover to the ground under the trailer. GLAD it was not the black tank!!!!!
Old 03-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #18

eswan21,when the black tank starts to get full, you will notice what is called a burp. It's an air bubble. It's telling you that it's almost time to dump the black tank.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #19

I agree with Texas. 35 gallons gets awfully heavy. I have much smaller tanks than others but still opted for a smaller tote. I went with the 10 gallon sized Blue Tote as I am able to lift it up into the back of the TV. Much bigger than that and I might hurt my back. I do not mind visiting the dump station every three days or so ( family of four- 3 males who can use the CG toilets also). It is just one of the chores of camping. I got used to this while having a cassette toilet in my last camper. It is just something that needs to be done.

As Texas noted, it is not that big to store either. I did not want to be carrying around a large empty container. I felt the small 10 gallon size was perfect.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJoe View Post
Wolf & Mule, The Smart Tote 35LX is actually the one that I am looking at. Looks like a really good product.
I bought the Smart Tote 35XL last summer from Camping World in Oregon. One of the best purchases I've made, IMO. We spent two weeks at a State Park in Oregon, and it was a breeze to empty the tanks then simply tow the Smart Tote to the dump station. Of course, I got my share of chuckles from other campers as I passed by Smart Tote in tow......but hey we never had to break camp once and wait in line to empty the tanks. The convenience of being able to dump the Smart Tote whenever you please, and when the dump station was not busy...was a sure bonus.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank